Stampede Over cooked steaks

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I’ve grilled maybe five or six steaks in the last almost a year. Every single one has come out over cooked. I like rare to medium rare. I will go a well-done medium rare for my wife sake. We usually are splitting a large steak. No, I don’t like to cut them in half. But I’ve pulled at 120 and ended up with a medium steak. last time I did it I pulled it at 115 it still was not rare enough. I think my probes are correct as I occasionally check with another probe that I used for my old upright electric smoker. What is your experience or suggestions?

My opinion… you should check the internal temp with a high quality instant read thermometer when you pull the meat. Don’t rely on the probes alone. Then test your probes against a high quality remote thermometer, like Thermoworks or another quality manufacturer. If the steaks are thin-ish you’ll need to be careful of carryover cooking.

Probe test, boiling water /ice water to verify accuracy. And also as @padlin00 says, if searing they will climb another 10° easily

What temp are cooking at? I use my bullseye all the time for kc sirloins, ny strips and ribeyes. I go 450 for 3 mins per side for inch and half up to 2 inch cuts. Probe them w/thermopen and pull @ 120ish. Comes out med rare after resting for a few minutes uncovered on the cutting boards.

I second the recommendation to get a high quality thermometer.

There is no way a steak is coming out medium at 120 degrees. Something is amiss with whatever you're using to take the temperature.

I appreciate all the good advice. I thought I had the internal temperature nailed but it’s almost obvious that I don’t. So, Christmas is over but I’ll buy myself a thermal pen or some similar product and give that a shot. Most of my steaks are on the thick side with three-quarter inch being about as soon as I get. Most around an inch and a half. But I don’t do it that often and will work this out in time.

And I’m not searing because they’re already over done. Not long ago I purchased a good quality iron skillet and while I use it for other things, I’ve only served with it once. It’s a good way to finish this cooks.

Sounds like you definitely need to calibrate your probes! Mine were off 10 degrees before I recalibrated them. I cook my steaks at 225 until 120 and then reverse sear and they come out medium rare every time! Thermapens are awesome and a good backup for your probes!

I reverse sear mine. I almost always get Prime tenderloin at Costco and smoke them at 180 for 45 minutes, pull them, crank the smoker to 500 and put them back on until they get to about 125-130. I have a Thermapen and love it. I rarely use the probes but will on occasion on a bigger piece of meat like the 8 pound Prime Rib I did on Christmas.

How are you putting the probe in? From the top or the side of the meat? It took me awhile to catch on but sticking the probe in from the top side of the steak does not give the correct temp. Stick the probe in about midway on the side and slide the probe in to the middle of the steak/meat. Very different temp!

Basic knowledge I’m sure but I didn’t have the basic knowledge!

D Rat,
I put a leave in thermo into my steaks, chops, chicken breasts and everything else. Seldom do I miss the target temp with complete satisfaction. Most of my digital thermo are the Thermapen brand but I have Mavericks as well. I do a complete tow stage cook and do a reverse sear on steaks and a touch on chops. Most of mine are 1-1/4" or so.
I would think a 110 target would be rare to raw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back