Ordering from Amazon or recteq.com?

Gypsyplumber

Looking to order a 700 and was just wondering if people have experienced different results when ordering from Amazon vs directly from the website? Are shipping times around the same?

I believe RecTec has re-established relations with Amazon. When you check on the dealer, it takes you to the RecTeq store. They have established relationships with Amazon before and it works for a couple of years then it stops for a couple of years. Amazon would also put together bundles that I didn’t see on the RT site. Unless there is an appreciable savings, I like to deal with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) as they can’t blame or shed responsibility if things go wrong. They pull from their inventory, select their packaging and pick their shipping company. You could always call RT and ask if they match the price (if it is different) or if Amazon is one of their authorized distributors/dealers with the same warranty.

That’s good information and advice from @SmokeZilla. Adding a third-party into the ordering mix just complicates things in my experience. As far as I can tell, the current Recteq offerings on Amazon don’t involve any cost savings for the buyer and the order is actually fulfilled by RT. Why add another party to the mix?

i don’t know if what im saying is true but i have read on this website that if you decide to return to recteq you have to pay a restocking fee. i would expect that to not be true with amazon. but i would expect most people to be very happy with a reqtec

i don’t know if what im saying is true but i have read on this website that if you decide to return to recteq you have to pay a restocking fee. i would expect that to not be true with amazon. but i would expect most people to be very happy with a reqtec
You are probably correct on the restock fee. It's a bunch of BS but kinda understand it. Some people just like to test drive things and keep if they like.
For a faulty product or such , that fee should be waved.

Guess there is no such thing as a dumb question. The only difference is, I guess, Amazon charges commission to the vendor. I think shipping is free on both ends.
Looking to order a 700 and was just wondering if people have experienced different results when ordering from Amazon vs directly from the website? Are shipping times around the same?

I orderd mine on Amazon and the order goes to the Recteq warehouse for order fullfillment and for shipping. When I called Recteq they said there was no difference between ordering from Amazon or directly from them as it is basically the same process. I recieved mine within 5 days of ordering shipped to Missouri. The advantage of this is I got 0 percent financing from Amazon for 12 months.

I orderd mine on Amazon and the order goes to the Recteq warehouse for order fullfillment and for shipping. When I called Recteq they said there was no difference between ordering from Amazon or directly from them as it is basically the same process. I recieved mine within 5 days of ordering shipped to Missouri. The advantage of this is I got 0 percent financing from Amazon for 12 months.
I went with Amazon just because they have all my info already and I’m lazy 😂 hoping I get it before Christmas so I can do a brisket. My green mountain is currently not working. My wife gave me the green light to order it as my Xmas gift 😂 but she was still surprised when the 1300 disappeared from our account

Personally, I thought long and hard before buying my grill. I ended up buying the 700/Bull. What I was most concerned about was if I had to return it for some reason. It is very difficult to re-package in the original configuration. Plus, the shipping cost (paid by myself or any consumer) is substantial.

Because of the above, I would give serious consideration to buying from AMZN, all else being equal.

Personally, I thought long and hard before buying my grill. I ended up buying the 700/Bull. What I was most concerned about was if I had to return it for some reason. It is very difficult to re-package in the original configuration. Plus, the shipping cost (paid by myself or any consumer) is substantial.

Because of the above, I would give serious consideration to buying from AMZN, all else being equal

The Recteqs ordered on Amazon are shipped from Recteq warehouse not from the Amazon distribution center. If there is a problem, it will be covered by Recteq. When mine arrived there was 1 of the 6 bags of pellets was broken open and 1 was missing completely. I am assuming it was all over the bed of the delivery truck. I contacted Recteq support and they shipped out a replacement for the damaged and missing bag, a sauce and rub bundle, which I requested and they agreed. I also ordered a shelf for the RT700 from Recteq and it arrived with the grill. So that confirmed it was bundled up at the Recteq warehouse, not Amazon.

Amazon has become a joke on their 2 day shipping. Prime member for years, and it has been forever since I got something in less than a week. We even have a distribution site 100 miles from us. Only thing Prime does anymore is save you shipping cost. Oh, and you get to watch Prime football ( bunch of shit), was suppose to be America's game and $$$ keeps people from being able to watch.
EBay has quicker shipping than Amazon.

Amazon has become a joke on their 2 day shipping. Prime member for years, and it has been forever since I got something in less than a week. We even have a distribution site 100 miles from us. Only thing Prime does anymore is save you shipping cost. Oh, and you get to watch Prime football ( bunch of shit), was suppose to be America's game and $$$ keeps people from being able to watch.
EBay has quicker shipping than Amazon.
Two day delivery is non-existent in my area. Amazon still makes the claim with no reduction in fees.

The Recteqs ordered on Amazon are shipped from Recteq warehouse not from the Amazon distribution center. If there is a problem, it will be covered by Recteq. When mine arrived there was 1 of the 6 bags of pellets was broken open and 1 was missing completely. I am assuming it was all over the bed of the delivery truck. I contacted Recteq support and they shipped out a replacement for the damaged and missing bag, a sauce and rub bundle, which I requested and they agreed. I also ordered a shelf for the RT700 from Recteq and it arrived with the grill. So that confirmed it was bundled up at the Recteq warehouse, not Amazon.
I was looking at it more from the standpoint of possibly having to/wanting to return it. I honestly don't know how that would work with Amazon.

I purchased a smoker earlier this year that I had problems with from the get go. I looked into shipping costs to return it and it was going to be about $400.00. From that standpoint, it didn't make sense to ship it back. The particular company that I bought it from offered a "money back guarantee". But, they knew/know that shipping costs make it cost prohibitive for consumers to ship a smoker (or a pellet grill, for that matter) back for a refund.
The problem ended up being a bad PID Controller board (out of the box). The company that I bought the smoker from sent me a new board. I changed it out and everything is running fine now.

That is why I speculated about Amazon possibly being easier/less expensive to ship it back if a consumer were unhappy with their purchase.

I guess it will remain a question until someone actually buys a Recteq off of Amazon, returns it and posts up their experience.

Last edited:
I was looking at it more from the standpoint of possibly having to/wanting to return it. I honestly don't know how that would work with Amazon.

I purchased a smoker earlier this year that I had problems with from the get go. I looked into shipping costs to return it and it was going to be about $400.00. From that standpoint, it didn't make sense to ship it back. The particular company that I bought it from offered a "money back guarantee". But, they knew/know that shipping costs make it cost prohibitive for consumers to ship a smoker (or a pellet grill, for that matter) back for a refund.
The problem ended up being a bad PID Controller board (out of the box). The company that I bought the smoker from sent me a new board. I changed it out and everything is running fine now.

That is why I speculated about Amazon possibly being easier/less expensive to ship it back if a consumer were unhappy with their purchase.

I guess it will remain a question until someone actually buys a Recteq off of Amazon, returns it and posts up their experience.
Good point!
I wonder what the return window is with Amazon?

I purchased my RT700 bundle package through Amazon because Recteq did not have the same deal on their website. A few days after my order they did. The item is not shipped through Amazon’s distribution system but a freight company directly from Recteq. It took about 7 business days to get it from Amazon. It was delivered to a local delivery warehouse and then delivered to my home. I suspect the usual Amazon return policy may not apply to this due to the weight and shipping method.

I don’t think you’re gonna be able to turn it no matter where you purchase. If you have a problem, recteq support will send you the replacement part and walk you thru the replacement steps. If returning is your concern, I would consult with recteq before buying.

Purchased my 380X about three weeks ago from Amazon. Went this way strictly from a cost standpoint. Amazon had the grill for $710 plus I got 5% back using my Prime Visa. I contacted RecTeq through Amazon messaging to request delayed shipping since I was going to be out of town for a week. RecTeq responded directly to me and confirmed my shipping request. The grill shipped directly from RecTeq. Easy transaction.

For large items, you will never get them directly from the Amazon Distribution Center. They're big, but not THAT big. I have one about 20 miles from my house. I'm also about 5 miles from Recteq-HQ. Unless you are getting a financing deal like @Dr.Floyd mentioned, buy from the vendor direct. It will be a SOB either way, if you are thinking about ease of return. AND if you are pondering about buying direction based upon maybe returning something this big, you're not really ready to pull the trigger. Sorry, but at my advanced age, I'm starting to sound "crusty". Sorry. I would have to agree with @SmokeZilla , buy from the OEM, and not add a layer of potential sadness. I remember the days when BestBuy would sell a bunch of flat-screens on February 4th, and then there would be flood of "returns" on February the 7th. They wised up real quick -- started charging a "re-stocking fee". It is still a good day to buy a gently used screen, right after the Super Bowl. Grill On !! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back