What would I gain by ordering the smoke box for my RT 700?

Stinkring

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I thought the RT 700 was a smoker. Is the smoke box a necessity for smoking brisket and/or butts? I'm getting a little concerned after reading some reviews of these things arriving damaged or requiring customer service to fix issues. I don't want any buyer remorse but certainly understand issues do arise. Thanks...

Smoke box just gives you more capacity and the ability to do lower temp smoking on things like sausages, fish or jerky

I have the smokebox. It is a nice to have item but not an absolute. A front shelf is a must have, whether you buy from RT or do your own. You can always add the smokebox later.

Some folks had shipping issues but certainly not everyone. I had a few tiny scratches on my competition cart. It was a nothing that did not even warrant a call to RT. I have added a couple of my own.

The 700 is a smoker by itself. You don’t need the smoke box. A lot of folks have it to give them more versatility when they smoke but it is definitely optional. I don’t have one and don’t feel like I’m missing anything for the way I use it.
As far as shipping damage you have to remember when people have a problem they are more likely to post about it. Then others who had a problem post their experience so it seems worse than it is. While it sucks to receive a damaged smoker that you have been anxiously waiting for Rec Teq can’t control how the grill is handled once it leaves their warehouse. If you get a damaged unit they will make it right. That said, the vast majority of grills arrive without damage.

I use the smoker box to keep items warm such as steaks while bringing grill to searing temp. It's also good for keeping sides warm or adding a nice smoke flavor to sides such as beans or mac & cheese. it's good for smoking fish or cheeses. if your cook finishes early, it's good for keeping it warm until she who must be obeyed is ready for you to bring it to the table.

I use my smoke box all of the time. Excellent for cheese and fish as well as adding smoke flavor to stuff you dont need heat on. I have a batch of brined bluefin tuna drying right now. Tomorrow it will go in the smoke box with a smoke tube etc. It comes out epic!

20210604_234230.jpg

Buy yourself a Smoke Tube instead of the Smoke Box
They are 1/10th the Price and work quite well IMHO
View attachment 10823

Smoked a few types of Cheese tonight
Used the Bull with the Smoke Tube:
View attachment 10824
I' ve heard people mention a smoke tube reading the forum but didn't see one listed in accessories. I'm guessing it's an off brand purchase? Is it to impart a heavier smoke profile?

RT doesn't sell them. Yes, the idea is to add more smoke flavor, or to cold smoke without running the firepot. I have one by A-Maze-N (they have multiple options) and other brands are available. You'll also want a propane torch to light it.

I' ve heard people mention a smoke tube reading the forum but didn't see one listed in accessories. I'm guessing it's an off brand purchase? Is it to impart a heavier smoke profile?
Yes .... and yes
We bought our Smoke Tube here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203102346907

We use ours to add Smoke to a given Cook
Also, we can add another type / flavored Wood Pellet to a given Cook
And, to cold smoke stuff like Cheese, Veggies, Sauces etc .... things you don't want to get above 60 - 70

Also, we can use the Smoke Tube in our Gas Grill to add a bit of flavor to something we "MAY" cook on it
Note: "MAY" .... I'd bet we haven't used our Gas Grill 4 or 5 times since we got the Bull back in late Oct
Smoking on the RT is addictive :love:

I bought the smoke box and don‘t find it to none very useful. As others have commented a smoke tube in any grill will do the same.

save your money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back