Ok....now I am a liar too...

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all....thought I would start another thread as to not steal the Memorial Day Cook Thread. In that thread I mentioned the RT would be taking a break for the whole weekend due to other plans and other types of cooks. Well...…. sad to say, I spoke to soon. Maybe saying I lied might be too strong, but events are always fluid. Today's menu called for grilled halibut steak and a roasted beet salad. The 680 seemed to be off the equipment list. As I was preparing the beets for the roast, my wife asked innocently "what temp should I set the oven". Bingo...…. my reply was no inside oven needed. Went out, cranked up the 680 to 400, and viola, I had my roasting tool. What a "tool" I am for not thinking earlier. Ok, so it was not a smoked or even BBQ dish, but thinking next time maybe it can be. Sorry no pics of the cook (it was just beets wrapped in foil so nothing really to see anyway), but here is the plated salad pic. I included the cook and recipe just in case anyone cares to look.

1# beets after removing the stems and the roots
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1TBLS EVOO
1 TSP Fresh Thyme (can sub out dried thyme or even some type of Italian herbs)
Salt and Pepper
1 Orange sliced (try to remove all the pith and slice the wedges from the pith...… I failed here hahahaha)
Spring mix salad....or the salad of your choice
Lightly dress the salad with a vinaigrette dressing
Shaved Pecorino Romano Cheese (I would say this is optional, but oh my....)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts ...toasted.

Trim the beets from the stems and trim the roots. Create a bowl with heavy duty tin foil and place the beets in the foil. Add the water and then close up the foil to create a packet. I put the packet on a restaurant 1/2 pan. Put on the pit at 400 for 1.5 hours. Just prior to taking the beets of the pit, whisk the sherry vinegar, EVOO, thyme, salt and pepper into a bowl. I like to use a lot of pepper. When the beets are done, take off the pit, open the foil and allow to cool. When the beets are still warm but able to be held, rub the skin off the beets using a paper towel. Slice the beets in half then into wedges or thick slices. Add to the bowl with the vinegar and marinate for 30 minutes or more. Dress your greens with a vinaigrette dressing and then have fun with placement of your beets, orange slices, pecorino cheese and walnuts. I am not a beet fan at all, but this is the way to go. Had it with pan seared (instead of grilled) halibut and a homemade chimichurri sauce.

Sorry to take sooooo much time on a "non" BBQ dish, but had to come clean again, I used my RT when I thought I would not. I have never been good at the pics, so only got the beet salad presented.

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend.

Attachments

• Beets.jpg
    Beets.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 94
I included the cook and recipe just in case anyone cares to look.

Sorry to take sooooo much time on a "non" BBQ dish, but had to come clean again, I used my RT when I thought I would not. I have never been good at the pics, so only got the beet salad presented.
Thank's for your detailed post, I enjoyed looking at it. It's a BBQ dish as far as I'm concerned, I"m definitely into making new and different side dishes instead of the same regular ones all the time. Your pic looks great to me,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back