Freezer: How long is too long?

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
So, I have a prime brisket and a couple pork butts in my freezer and I really don't have a good idea how long is "too long" for something to be frozen before it's going to affect the quality or safety of the meat? If you bought a brisket a year ago and froze it within a few days of buying it and it's remained frozen, is it good?

$64,000 question is: how was it frozen? If you vacuum sealed it, you’re good up to a year. If not, or if the vacuum seal has failed, I wouldn’t waste my time.

To me, bbq takes so long, it’s important to have quality meat to begin with, it’s a lot of work to smoke a brisket, I wouldn’t use the meat that’s a year old. So is it safe, yup. Will there be a degradation in quality, yup.

Love the name

Supposedly up to a year, I try and use in 6 months although I have a butt thats older than that at the moment.

So, I have a prime brisket and a couple pork butts in my freezer and I really don't have a good idea how long is "too long" for something to be frozen before it's going to affect the quality or safety of the meat? If you bought a brisket a year ago and froze it within a few days of buying it and it's remained frozen, is it good?
Yes. Perhaps not as good as would have been if thawed sooner, but beef in particular has more freezer ‘lifespan’ than pork (not bad either) or poultry (which gets freezer burned the quickest).

Yes. Perhaps not as good as would have been if thawed sooner, but beef in particular has more freezer ‘lifespan’ than pork (not bad either) or poultry (which gets freezer burned the quickest).
That’s a good point, a big brisket will have a lot of that outer area trimmed off anyways, so any outer edges with freezer burn, will be removed in the trim.

But yeah, “not as good as it would have been”. Like I said, a lot of work to be starting with a 5 yard penalty against you

Good question, seems you already have Some good answers but a little information can help. Is it a frost free freezer or not? Frost free is not good for things such as Sashimi grade fish because it heats up to be frost free, unlike a no frost free freezer just remains constant. Also, and I know I never know how often and how long it has been opened. When I have sashimi in the freezer my wife makes me do all the freezer retrievals. Cuts down on my anguish😀 I agree it is probably degraded but safe depending how it was sealed up.

Good question, seems you already have Some good answers but a little information can help. Is it a frost free freezer or not? Frost free is not good for things such as Sashimi grade fish because it heats up to be frost free, unlike a no frost free freezer just remains constant.
Excellent point, that I overlook often. My 25-year old stand-alone freezer is not frost free and while I cuss it once a year when I do a defrost event, I do appreciate that it keeps my food longer for the other 364 days of the year.

Excellent point, that I overlook often. My 25-year old stand-alone freezer is not frost free and while I cuss it once a year when I do a defrost event, I do appreciate that it keeps my food longer for the other 364 days of the year.
@Greg Jones I too have many colorful metaphors as I drag mine out to defrost. The beauty is at least it forces you to look over stuff. I always date my stuff as well unless it is already marked. Next on my chore list.

@Greg Jones I too have many colorful metaphors as I drag mine out to defrost. The beauty is at least it forces you to look over stuff. I always date my stuff as well unless it is already marked. Next on my chore list.
I date mine as well. Some decisions are easier that others! 😂

I date everything, chicken stock, soups, frozen veg. I’m not perfect, but I try my best to be a good culinary steward of the blessings that I receive. I still have a long way to go!

I had frozen a second Costco prime brisket that I bought when the $/lb was good in 2021 but couldn't find time to thaw & cook, so it sat in our frost-free freezer for just about a year. Smoked it on my RT-590 last month and it was the best dang brisket I've ever cooked. I was surprised as heck, so I guess you never know until you throw it on the smoker!

00A2A41A-5365-43CC-8B98-8B0A2C1B6A1A.jpeg

BDD6A214-D396-4CF0-A0C4-D8A2406567AD.jpeg

I always defrost end of summer, the Texas humidity adds the most frost, so it is on my chore list too. Trying to find that point where I have enough room in my house freezer and not too much in the garage freezer to combine while I defrost

I recently noticed that some popsicles in the garage fridge were not so hard. I cranked the fridge up. But there's some corned beef rounds and sliced/vac'd brisket in there. Worried.

I always defrost end of summer, the Texas humidity adds the most frost, so it is on my chore list too. Trying to find that point where I have enough room in my house freezer and not too much in the garage freezer to combine while I defrost
No worry, a heat gun or hair dryer makes quick work of defrosting.

I ordered 4 fridge/freezer analog (no battery) thermometers. The super trick ones that I have are all AAA battery and they got all corroded. I just need bowling ball reliability, not Thermapen accuracy.

I agree with what some other said. As long as it’s packed properly it still should be good at about a year. Probably don’t wanna go anymore than that no matter which way it’s packed or sealed. We used to buy a lot of meat on sale and keep it in the freezer to cook later but since I’ve quit doing that and just buy it as we want it or buy what’s on sale and cook it at that time. Buying meat fresh and cooking it simply taste better than taking something out the freezer if you have a choice.

We did boneless prime rib roast tonight that had been vacuum sealed in the freezer for 10 months. My wife had an end piece and said a couple of bites tasted a little freezer burned. I had a center piece that was incredible. I don’t like leaving them in the freezer that long but overall not a problem.

17363B88-953E-4132-8A0D-50C565E37271.jpeg
F73CA8E3-89B0-4FC6-96E9-F815D5D7DD85.jpeg
F49F362E-B3EC-44C4-B1B0-909C612E0162.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back