Stampede No Smoke Stack

Adventureposer

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Welcome everybody, I'm brand new to the world of Rec Tec and I just purchased and rt-590 and realized it does not come with a smokestack. My question is why have a smoke stack? Does it matter? I'd like to hear opinions on both sides if you got them... Thanks a bunch and Grill on!

I think they are designed to make the smoke travel across your food and from the fire box to the least resistance and that is the smokestack. Plus they look really cool with smoke billowing out of them.

I wish the 590 had a stack. the back vent area wouldn't get so dirty.
I like the original version with the all-weather vents added.

608454AF-FFA2-45E7-A261-0D7327E0BAEB.jpeg

Notice any difference?
I feel like the temperature is less susceptible to wind. I also think rain will have a harder time blowing in. Plus, and this is definitely subjective, I think it looks cooler!! (I should have mentioned that my 590 is one of the "older" styles with the 3 open vents on the back, I used to have the all-weather vents as well)
1635785552314.png

(I stole this screenshot from above, not an actual before picture of my 590)

I wish the 590 had a stack. the back vent area wouldn't get so dirty.
Yep! my thoughts exactly gets very dirty on back of grill around vents without stack. My guess they saved a few bucks not including a stack. The grill works fine just a visual sanitary issue u'll be constantly cleaning but hey its a grill so it's going to get dirty right.

Yep! my thoughts exactly gets very dirty on back of grill around vents without stack. My guess they saved a few bucks not including a stack. The grill works fine just a visual sanitary issue u'll be constantly cleaning but hey its a grill so it's going to get dirty right.

I am so confused, in 25 years of smoking meat I have never considered cleaning grills to keep them "sanitary", you brush the grates, stick in the meat and close the lid.
Am I crazy for thinking the grill looks better over time? the black oil slick look that has replaced the shiny new metal is how the thing should look!

**Note** I may be crazy, having mostly used stick burners and self built ugly drum smokers, I prefer a filthy well seasoned look to my pit.

and after having used pellet grills with silly smoke stacks, i am glad to be done with that pointless part.
the stacks don't make sense when the fire is in the middle, where you put the stack will cause a draft and a hot spot, the best answer IMO is either multiple stacks or vents with a loose fitting lid so the smoke can have many exit points and spread out the flow of hot air. its why I went with the 590 instead of a cheaper traeger or pitboss unit, after cooking on those and a 590 I far prefer the more even heat of the vents.

To each his own. I come from a stick smoker too. And have cleaned it a few times especially inside the top lid stuff starts flaking off there. Also try to keep it oiled with canola to prevent rusting. But yea it's a losing battle eventually the new shine will be gone anyway.

If you wipe the smoke residue off while the grill is still a little warm,it comes right off

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back