Smoke stack Cap.

Roger

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Does anyone adjust their smoke stack cap to improve the amount of smoke you get? Is this recommended?

I never touched mine.. this might give some insight but at the end of the day it needs to breathe.

Previous Post on Smoke Stack Adjustment

Others might have done more trials.

If you are after more smoke then a smoke tube might be an option. I don't have or use one myself. I find I get enough smokiness as is.
I vote for the smoke tube (y)

I assumed it was positioned correctly, but now that you bring it up.....I might take another look.

My Traeger recommended 1-2 inches. Z grills recommend less.

I'll probably experiment with mine, document the changes and see what works best.

I leave it at stock height. I would think at some point you'd force smoke out the grease drain if airflow is insufficient.

Stock height might be different depending on who in China put it on your grill. RT doesn't really specify a distance, so I suspect that many of us have it set at differing heights.

It's there to keep out rain and debris, not for temp/smoke management like a stick burner.
Yes, and no. It's not temp management thing, as once you position it, you shouldn't change it, but the height above the chimney will affect temps. Other pellet grill makers are pretty specific on how high it should be. Kind of strange to me that RT doesn't.

Z grills says 8mm. That's oddly specific. Traeger says 1-2 inches, etc.

Edit: Camp Chef says this:

"4. The height of the chimney cap can be adjusted for summer and
winter. In the summer the gap should be approximately 1-1/2”. In
the winter the gap should be approximately ½”."

Last edited:
Yes, and no. It's not temp management thing, as once you position it, you shouldn't change it, but the height above the chimney will affect temps. Other pellet grill makers are pretty specific on how high it should be. Kind of strange to me that RT doesn't.

Would be nice if RT would give recommendations like that for their grills!

Would be nice if RT would give recommendations like that for their grills!
Pretty sure they have, and the guidance was to leave it alone. Something like "if you can look across and see daylight you're fine"...

Pellet grills have a fan moving air. I don't imagine that adjusting the cap would do much if anything. Installing a downdraft is a different matter.

My old Green Mountain Grill said to use 2 fingers as an initial height and then adjust higher if you have temp or combustion issues. Looking at my Bull, looks about 2 fingers (given that finger size vary)

Pretty sure they have, and the guidance was to leave it alone. Something like "if you can look across and see daylight you're fine"...

Pellet grills have a fan moving air. I don't imagine that adjusting the cap would do much if anything. Installing a downdraft is a different matter.

Yeah, that's not really a measurement. 🤷‍♂️

That's like telling someone that your house is just up the road a bit. Is it a mile, or is it 5 miles? :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back