Bull Smoke stack extension

Dustin1975

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
Im looking at installing a RT700 under a covered but open patio. Has anyone extended their smoke stack and then vented it out a roof?
If so was there any negative impact to temperature control?

Even tho it's forced draft I think adding to your stack that much might increase draft causing temp problems or increased pellet use trying to maintain temp. Might be easier to set up a pedestal fan to blow smoke out.

you could test it with an aluminum dry vent pipe. and silver hvac tape. i would only do 225 or less though with that setup just to see if its stable. but i would not leave the grill unattended in this test

Last edited:
I have mine under an open covered patio. I do have the smoke box though. No issues with excessive smoke.

I had spoken to RT about this and they said it would not effect anything. I decided to add a fan in the wall instead of risking of having the roof leak.

Attachments

• FD06266A-C1E9-4BAF-B904-EAEB585889B6.jpeg
    FD06266A-C1E9-4BAF-B904-EAEB585889B6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 407
  • IMG_9713.MP4
    5.1 MB
looks like psycho is in there with his smoke tube! thats a killer smoke shack. do you do youtube videos? i feel like i have seen that in a video.
I'm there 😁

I had spoken to RT about this and they said it would not effect anything. I decided to add a fan in the wall instead of risking of having the roof leak.
Yeah, but Rec Teq has said some things over the years that are not exactly based on "science".

Changing the length or diameter has to affect airflow somehow. Yes, pellet grills have a fan blowing in them, but I still think it will affect how much air is moving through the grill.

Then again, they recommend not adding a gasket to the lid, because that will affect airflow. Strange that adding a longer stack won't. 😒

It's your grill. Go for it. (y)

Yeah, there is actually a site that talks about building your own smoker, and smoke stack length is a critical part of it. Too long, not ideal. Too short isn't great either. Most smokers could benefit from a slightly longer stack, but these are pellet grills, so your auger fan is going to limit how much stack you can have.

Having said that......if you could put a fan on the part that sticks out the window, you might be able to draw enough air to optimize the flow.

Yeah, there is actually a site that talks about building your own smoker, and smoke stack length is a critical part of it. Too long, not ideal. Too short isn't great either. Most smokers could benefit from a slightly longer stack, but these are pellet grills, so your auger fan is going to limit how much stack you can have.

Having said that......if you could put a fan on the part that sticks out the window, you might be able to draw enough air to optimize the flow.
you could probably use a cheap builder grade bathroom fart fan to make a draft if needed. mount it in a box and run the smoke into it? also just curious has anyone ever seen a pro biden flag? i just assumed the reason i never seen one was because i live in sc. which is a strong republican state. i thought i did once but then i noticed it said F biden.

Last edited:
If you want to minimize the change on the draft from an extension, use a tube that is at least 2 to 3" bigger in diameter than the Recteq stack and allows air to come up around the RT stack. The bigger the diameter, the better. I've done this with my offset. I tried the same diameter as the stack and it drastically changed the draft. But a larger diameter was the same as no added stack. It acts more like a smoke hood over a stove, than a stack.

With the larger diameter smoke stack over the original, your creating a velocity stack, which will create a pressure differential and want to pull the smoke from the stack

Do you have room to install a vent hood over the smoker? This would eliminate the ugly tube and not change the operation of the smoker at all, not to mention it looks good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterC
Back