New RT-700 owner

Seakuv

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey folks! I'm the proud owner of a new RT-700. Previously owned a MAK Two Star - but because of a huge problem with the moving company (it's a long sordid tale) it got left behind in Montana when I moved up here to Alaska last fall. I got the Bull all put together earlier today, did my one hour burn in, and am almost ready to cook up a batch of chicken thighs. I like to marinate them in Italian salad dressing for 12-24 hours and then do a low and slow cook.
I'm impressed so far with the 700 - it seems solid, and I've been lurking around this forum for six months or so and feel like everything that I've read about the Recteqs has lead me to believe that the construction and electronics should provide a super reliable grill. I'm a long time Alaskan - just did a short 4 year stint in Montana, but came home to Alaska. For those of you in the northern states or Canada - how do these grills do in sub-zero temps? I'll gladly cook outside down to about -20F, but much colder than that, I don't really enjoy being outside cooking. Anyway - glad to be cooking with pellets again! DaveS

Had temp issues at 12 degrees last winter, here’s the write up.

12 degree cook

Think I’ll pickup a new welding blanket for this winter, didn’t have one then, mice ate it.

I put a felt welding blanket on mine in winter and have cooked below zero. I do keep my grill in the garage when not in use. I have some heavy magnets to hold it tight.

IMG_8632.jpeg

IMG_8629.jpeg

IMG_8630.jpeg

Hey folks! I'm the proud owner of a new RT-700. Previously owned a MAK Two Star - but because of a huge problem with the moving company (it's a long sordid tale) it got left behind in Montana when I moved up here to Alaska last fall. I got the Bull all put together earlier today, did my one hour burn in, and am almost ready to cook up a batch of chicken thighs. I like to marinate them in Italian salad dressing for 12-24 hours and then do a low and slow cook.
I'm impressed so far with the 700 - it seems solid, and I've been lurking around this forum for six months or so and feel like everything that I've read about the Recteqs has lead me to believe that the construction and electronics should provide a super reliable grill. I'm a long time Alaskan - just did a short 4 year stint in Montana, but came home to Alaska. For those of you in the northern states or Canada - how do these grills do in sub-zero temps? I'll gladly cook outside down to about -20F, but much colder than that, I don't really enjoy being outside cooking. Anyway - glad to be cooking with pellets again! DaveS
Welcome to the forum. I worked/lived in the Delta areas for ~ 6 yrs. I know the Palmer area. While I no longer deal with the type of cold you will (agree with -20) I would invest in some insulation. There are some folks on here that deal with extreme cold that should be able to help out. Happy cooking!

Welcome to the Forum and the RecTec Family Seakuv
Not to say there's ANY comparison in the weather there in Alaska, but we live in Northern Utah, and we've cooked in sub zero temps using the (old) Winter Cover on our Bull, RT sold years ago
As long as it was out of direct Wind, the RT-700 held Temp fairly well
Yeah, it burnt a LOT of Pellets to do it, but it cooked what we threw in it

The Bull has its Winter Coat.jpeg

I have a 700 and a Bullseye, both on a patio under a tall deck with an under deck ceiling. Also, a sliding barn door shield behind the smoker/grills for shelter against blowing rain/snow. I'm in the Kansas City area, so we get a lot of temperature extremes, usually below freezing during the winter, with a short period below 0 deg F. During the winter, I surround the smokers with a 10' party tent frame and hang tarps on three sides with welding blankets on the smoker side. I also have the RecTeq blanket for the 700. It uses a bit more pellets, but does just fine with the wind blocked. The Bullseye takes a little longer to get to full heat and uses more pellets, but also does fine. I don't mind being out in the cold and not going to stop using the smoker just because it's cold.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back