Miss and a Save

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
12 degrees last night at 10pm, putting on a 6 lb boneless butt at 200, the coldest I’ve tried. The grill fired right up, put on the butt, and the temp kept right on going up to 300, then down to 150. Went back and forth like that for 90 minutes, never varying. Removed and refrigerated the butt and shut down the grill, didn’t feel like fighting it at midnight at 12 degrees.

Did a little reading on higher heat short cooks. At 8am I vacuumed fire box and restarted at 275, no further issues with the temp. At about 11 the butt hit 165, wrapped in foil, put in an aluminum pan and bumped it up to 300. Probe tender at 3pm. Certainly doesn’t look like the meteor I’m used to.

pros, super moist, my best ever in that category. Fast at 7 hours, very passable when you’re short on time.

cons, not much bark or smoke flavor.

No more 12 degree cooks for me.

Last edited:
Went back and forth like that for 90 minutes, never varying.
1675640780898.png

No, I gave up on it for the night. Stashed it away till the am, the temp was supposed to go up overnight, which it did, 24 when I restarted. All I can figure is the grill just can’t handle holding temp when it’s that cold. Last time I tried one near that temp I had a welding blanket, but the mice wanted it more then me.

On the last couple of cooks on my 590 I have noticed that whatever is my temperature is set to just say 275 it will go up to about 240 and then drop 20 or 30° for a while and then go to the set temp. It seems like this started after updates on the RT ao. Is anyone else experiencing something like this?

Two butts ~18.5 lb. Mustard slather with HGH Sweet rub then on the 590 smoker (~225) @ 9:00 pm. Air temp in 20s overnight. Temped and probed done @7:00 am. Turned smoker down to low (180) and left butts in. 10:00 am placed butts in foil pan, covered with tin foil and placed in 170 oven. 5:30 pm, pulled and made sandwiches using HGH Apple Jalapeno sauce. Killer combination. Learned that meat just wants to get done sooner sometimes. Usually the other way around, but I’ll take it. Vacuum sealed and froze the remainder in meal sized portions. 15 great meals for two old coots.

I have cooked in cold weather like that a lot with out trouble. However, I do use a felt welding blanket when under 30.

I agree, had no problem when I had a felt blanket, although never this cold, guess I’ll need to get another.

What grill do you have? I have the 1250 and haven't had any issues holding steady temps of 180 and 225 overnight in -15F without a welding blanket or anything. Pellet consumption went up quite a bit but that's it.

Trailblazer/340
if I think of it and it gets cold enough again I’ll give it another try, sans meat.

I had not cleaned the fire box before the overnight cook thinking the extra buildup might be a good thing, I did clean it before I started it in the morning, might have something to do with it.

Wind and/or Rain can also add a little fun to things too
Had a flame-out, 31 Dec, 2022
Hard Rain and high Wind
Shut everything down
Then it started Snowing like a B!+<#
I fired the Bull back-up and the Cook went-off without a hitch
Go figure o_O

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back