New Recteq Models

After reviewing the new models, I am underwhelmed. Seems to me that it is mostly renaming things with cute names. The dual-chamber grill/smoker and griddle are new offerings, but look to me to be a solution in search of a problem.

The other three offerings are just older models upgraded with sturdier legs (much needed) and dual-band controllers. The latter does nothing to fix the unreliable connection issue which I believe is caused by RT servers, not the controllers.

If I were in the market for a new grill from RecTeq, I would focus on the renamed 590 “Deck Boss.” (Why grills need names is beyond me, but I guess it is a marketing tool aimed at an audience that doesn’t include me.) For the vast majority of grillers, I think the 590 will fill the bill and it is the most battle-tested of the bunch.

After reviewing the new models, I am underwhelmed. Seems to me that it is mostly renaming things with cute names. The dual-chamber grill/smoker and griddle are new offerings, but look to me to be a solution in search of a problem.

The other three offerings are just older models upgraded with sturdier legs (much needed) and dual-band controllers. The latter does nothing to fix the unreliable connection issue which I believe is caused by RT servers, not the controllers.

If I were in the market for a new grill from RecTeq, I would focus on the renamed 590 “Deck Boss.” (Why grills need names is beyond me, but I guess it is a marketing tool aimed at an audience that doesn’t include me.) For the vast majority of grillers, I think the 590 will fill the bill and it is the most battle-tested of the bunch.
i also feel that there is one too many grills with the deck boss, backyard beast and the flag ship. They are all basically the same size.

Anybody else JUST buy a grill less than a damn month ago, and kinda pissed that I didn’t wait a bit? 😂😂😂
Got mine a little bit longer ago and a little annoyed cause the dual fire would have given me something to think.

Can I buy the diffuser and add it to any RecTeq to make it a “direct fire” grill? Remove the drip pan?
That’s not a bad idea, would be a little pain to switch out each time but should work.

Last edited:
I'm gonna end up getting the re-named 590/Deck Boss. It's just the wife and myself and being new to Arizona in a little over a week, we won't know a soul. I'd love a bigger one, but I'm just throwing money away. I figure I might use that money for a Fireboard 2, or something. I'll look to add my own shelf for much cheaper than theirs.

Just picked up a Flagship 1100. Was looking around that price range to replace a LG 860BI built-in that has been nothing but trouble. No built-ins available in my price range that I'd want to get so popped for a standalone model to use for a few years before splurging on another built-in. This is my first RecTec and was attracted to the great reviews and solid warranty, so fingers crossed!

Now, if RT really wanted to do something to improve its product line, it would improve the server situation that keeps dropping out. Now that I finally got my grill to actually connect, it frequently drops out and I lose the connection.

Interestingly enough, my TW Signals is rock solid, regardless of whether it is a busy weekend or not. Connect once and it stays that way until the cook is completed, whether it is just an hour or 20 hours. If TW can do this, RT certainly should be able to. Apparently, it is a matter of priorities. :rolleyes:
Jim, which specific TW product are you referring too? TYIA

Jim, which specific TW product are you referring too? TYIA
I own and use several TW products, but the one I was referring to earlier in this thread was the Signals 4-probe unit. It connects to Wi-Fi and provides real-time temperature data plus cumulative data over the duration of a cook.

I watched the burn-in and assembly videos for the SmokeStone and DualFire. Hopefully will see some cooking videos soon.

The DualFire has me interested.

I wonder if a person could swap the griddle with a grate and have a large direct fire cooking surface on the SmokeStone?

The griddle still doesn’t make sense to me. It’s also rolled steel and not stainless.

I agree with the comments that the new models are underwhelming. However, there are interesting options I think I really wish I knew before I bought my 1250 in July. I like the direct grill option. I think that's cool to have a direct grill side and indirect in the same grill. I have read numerous posts where many of the members have a separate grill for searing or high heat. Now you can have both! I don't think the blackstone knockoff will be a hit. I just don't but we'll see. I know too many people infatuated with their blackstones.

I watched the burn-in and assembly videos for the SmokeStone and DualFire. Hopefully will see some cooking videos soon.

The DualFire has me interested.

I wonder if a person could swap the griddle with a grate and have a large direct fire cooking surface on the SmokeStone?

The griddle still doesn’t make sense to me. It’s also rolled steel and not stainless.
They have a teaser up on the Smokestone, showing food being cooked on it. All I was thinking was “Matador part 2”. The quick video shots of the food being cooked on the smoke show looked like there wasn’t enough heat being generated by the grill. It reminded me of my old Matador; great idea, bad heat distribution and not hot enough

Great discussion points on the new line up. I was laughing when I saw the “pull out shelf” because I remember all the complaints people were having with spilled grease and trying to clean it off their lower stainless chamber area. the new design will make the front of the grill and the flooring beneath your grill a playground for rodents and insects the first time you pull it out with 6 slabs of ribs on it. I wonder what they were thinking? An exception will be anything that drips on the front shelf but come on now… is that a viable solution? I guess there will soon be RT floor mats that can be washed off with a hose. Another interesting point to me is that the second shelf designs continue to have limited functionality (IMO). You cant use them both for anything taller than about 6 inches. I don’t know where they shop or if they only do salmon, ribs, jerky and flat stuff. Where I come from we load it up with 5 or 6 pork butts and a brisket or two (RT700) so my second shelf arrangement needs more distance between grates or it gets messy fast. All the other features are pretty cool though. Just my thoughts.

I think RT learned from the 1250 that the round barrels just don’t have the room they need for two fully useable shelves. You either have to go 30” diameter (or more) or go the oval route.

I'm actually looking forward to some newbies showing up here that jumped on any of these things. I jumped on the 1250 as soon as it was released and have no regrets as it was basically a Bull 2.0. I'm not sure any of the current offerings are causing me any buyer's remorse....yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back