New Recteq Models

Personally, I’m wondering about the dual-chamber unit. Sometimes things touted to be the do-it-alls actually are mediocre at doing everything.

The thought of having both a low-and-slow and a hot-and-fast cooking option in the same unit sounds appealing, but will it actually deliver? For me, I’d want some feedback from folks with hands-on experience before I’d seriously consider one.

Personally, I’m wondering about the dual-chamber unit. Sometimes things touted to be the do-it-alls actually are mediocre at doing everything.

The thought of having both a low-and-slow and a hot-and-fast cooking option in the same unit sounds appealing, but will it actually deliver? For me, I’d want some feedback from folks with hands-on experience before I’d seriously consider one.
I actually think that could be successful, given my experience with the Yoder YS640S. Unlike the dual-chamber recteq, the Yoder has only has one controller, but the fire pot is all the way to the left and has a removable diffuser in the drip tray to create high heat on the left side while the grill has a second diffuser that slides L-R under the drip tray to create a cooler cook zone on the right side. It does a fairly nice job of creating 2-zone grilling temps.

Watched the Friday show on YouTube today. About 5 minutes into the cook on the smoke show, the griddle top "pops" uneven from heat warp and poor John has to cook on a wobbly surface for the rest of it. Reminds me of the drip pan that will warp when hot, except this is the entire cooking surface.

Around 17:45 on the video. Awkward but expected when you choose a lighter weight top like the steel top.

Disappointed. Thats a no from me, dawg.

Watched the Friday show on YouTube today. About 5 minutes into the cook on the smoke show, the griddle top "pops" uneven from heat warp and poor John has to cook on a wobbly surface for the rest of it. Reminds me of the drip pan that will warp when hot, except this is the entire cooking surface.

Around 17:45 on the video. Awkward but expected when you choose a lighter weight top like the steel top.

Yup! Just came here to post that the griddle warped when Chef John put down some water to steam the broccoli. It does look like it can get plenty hot.

In that Friday show they also put a dutch oven in the DualFire, boring. I'd really like to see the direct fire used to grill a steak or something. It's $1,800, lets see some more in depth cooking with it.
I agree. Cooking a braise on one grill is not complicated-sear the meat then lower the temp. It’s going to cook for hours anyway, so a few minutes to cool down the sear temp is nothing. Reverse searing a steak or chops would have been a better test.

I actually think that could be successful, given my experience with the Yoder YS640S. Unlike the dual-chamber recteq, the Yoder has only has one controller, but the fire pot is all the way to the left and has a removable diffuser in the drip tray to create high heat on the left side while the grill has a second diffuser that slides L-R under the drip tray to create a cooler cook zone on the right side. It does a fairly nice job of creating 2-zone grilling temps.
Yes - I think this model is a 'copy' of the Yoder YS640. I looked at teh Yoder but by wife could not lift the lid it was so heavy and unbalanced. Chef Tom though has 100's of excellent videos.

Yes - I think this model is a 'copy' of the Yoder YS640. I looked at teh Yoder but by wife could not lift the lid it was so heavy and unbalanced. Chef Tom though has 100's of excellent videos.
Yes and yes. My wife cannot lift the lit either, because she is short just as much as the arm strength needed. Chef Tom should be a must-watch for anyone grilling/smoking on whatever brand they own. He is so creative and such a good teacher. He puts a lot of effort into the content he creates and it shows. I can’t say that I would have been convinced to buy a Yoder if not for watching his content. Because of Tom, I’ve bought all my Yoder gear from ATTBBQ.com. Reward the folks that give you free, great content, whatever that content is.

Got the Flagship RT-1100 delivered yesterday and put it together. First Recteq so can't compare it to anything but my previous LG's. First impressions is that it seems like a lot of grill for the price. The bottom shelf was scraped up during shipping or when I was unpacking, RT support going to send a new shelf when all I did was ask for touch-up paint, so already feeling VERY good about the customer service rep of RT.

The grill is working great over WIFI even where it's semi-sketchy on our back patio, and loving the app features. The LG had no WIFI features to speak of so I relied on Meater type products that could be hit or miss out there. The hopper is yuuuuge! It ate a 20lb bag of Bear Mountain Mesquite, burped, and asked for more, unreal coming from a 14lb hopper!

I added fireblack gasket to the lid and hopper lid, and also used hi-temp lavalock caulk on the chimney based on some feedback I got here, so thanks to the community for that advice. The LG was night/day on temp with proper sealant so appreciate the heads up.

Going to take it out on the maiden voyage tomorrow w/ a brisket, which I'm looking forward to. From what I've read there really isn't much new from the 700 or 1250, but if anyone has any Q's or wants a pic of anything specific let me know.

Excited to see the RT is about 3-4" wider than that LG. Plenty of room to do two smoked turkey's on the LG so happy the tradition will continue in 2023 on the RT this Thanksgiving.

Here's the new member of the family with the soon to be mothballed LG...

Screenshot 2023-10-13 220440.png

Last edited:

Thanks for posting this....I went and watched it. That does seem concerning....have to wonder if the steel(I guess stainless - has anyone confirmed that or is it rolled steel?) is thick enough b/c it does make sense it could get hot enough with pellets.

I rarely but sometimes use the Bullseye griddle and it gets plenty hot.

carbon rolled steel

The Blackstone cooking surface is made from carbon rolled steel. Blackstone offers a blanket 1 year warranty for their griddles. The difference between a Blackstone griddle and a traditional grill has to do with the cooking surface.

Rolled steel is not for griddles. Cars and the like yes.
Rolled vs Cold Rolled ....

"Compared to cast iron or other common cooking materials, cold-rolled steel has a substantially better thermal conductivity and heat capacity per volume."

I'm thinking it's the same material as their griddle pans that they sell. I need to see the inside of the new griddle - what's unique about it except a full sized sheet of carbon steel? Do I just take out the shelves and drip tray and diffuser out of my 1070 and it's basically the same thing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrzBBQ
Back