New Recteq Models

Checking out the new grills and I keep scratching my head on the Smokestone.

I bought the Traeger Flatrock griddle, $899, and it’s very well made with 3 zone cooking and two huge foldable side shelfs.

Looking at the Smokestone, $999, I’m trying to think about griddle cooking with it; One temperature zone, how uniform can that be with the one heat source?

Still have to clean a fire pot out,

That small back shelf is guaranteed to get in the way of griddle spatulas.

I can’t imagine smoke flavor being a benefit, due to the nature of griddle cooking and temps. I assume the PID will just keep feeding pellets in to keep the griddle at a specified temp?

Will be curious to see a demo but I think the nature of a wood fired griddle will be a harder sell vs propane dual/multi zone griddles. And at $999, I believe it’s one of the, if not most, expensive standalone griddle

The Smokestone makes no sense to me. Controlable zones are very important for griddles. I guess the outside edges would be cooler?

The DualFire is interesting but I would like to see a larger direct heat area. Looks pretty cramped in there.

Backyard Beast? Still trying to figure out what sets this one apart.

All in all they look solid and well built.

Are we anticipating an online sale for the 700? If the old 700 ends up being reduced 25 percent, would you recommend the old one or the new flagship for a first time pellet grill owner?

New assembly videos on recteq’s YouTube page for the new grills. Gives you a bit of an insight how they will work. I watched the griddle video and was surprised that the cooking surface is stainless.

The Smokestone makes no sense to me. Controlable zones are very important for griddles. I guess the outside edges would be cooler?

The DualFire is interesting but I would like to see a larger direct heat area. Looks pretty cramped in there.

Backyard Beast? Still trying to figure out what sets this one apart.

All in all they look solid and well built.
There is a lot of overlap now with all there models, I can see them retiring the 1250 soon. Interesting the 700 is no longer on their website.

New assembly videos on recteq’s YouTube page for the new grills. Gives you a bit of an insight how they will work. I watched the griddle video and was surprised that the cooking surface is stainless.
Stainless griddle surface? That won’t be fun to clean.

Are we anticipating an online sale for the 700? If the old 700 ends up being reduced 25 percent, would you recommend the old one or the new flagship for a first time pellet grill owner?
Looks like its not on the website anymore.

They really are not bad. SS griddles are pretty much all you will find in commercial kitchens. I have a SS griddle plate for my PK grill and it cleans up nicely.
When I worked at a restaurant I remember it required a lot of scraping and scrubbing. Whereas with my Blackstone it is pretty easy to just lightly scrape the scraps off. I suppose it’s a preference.

Had to travel to Savannah for work this week so detoured through Evans. Here are pics of the 3 new smokers, inside perspective.

The 1100 will definitely take a full top shelf and is a huge difference in clearance on the top rack. Barrel is actually ovalish.

The drip can underneath appears to be well designed and actually easier go keep clean.

Casters and new frame design seem legit.

That 1100 is calling my name but I think I’ll wait a bit to see if there are any bugs.

IMG_9632.jpeg

IMG_9631.jpeg

IMG_9630.jpeg

Looks like it’s not on the website anymore.
Interesting. It was there this morning. Maybe they are getting ready to repost a sale? Or save for in person inventory? Guess I’ll keep monitoring. At any rate, do you think the flagship is a good first pellet grill?

Interesting. It was there this morning. Maybe they are getting ready to repost a sale? Or save for in person inventory? Guess I’ll keep monitoring. At any rate, do you think the flagship is a good first pellet grill?
Any of the recteq grills would make a good first, or last, pellet grill. Just look for the one that has the features you want and be careful about paying for size/features you do not need. Having said that, whatever size you decide you need, buy the next larger model.

I think the Flagship is a good first grill and not a grill you'll need to upgrade anytime soon. I would take a 700 discounted over the Flagship 1100, IF they offer those.

A better comparison is the Flagship vs the 1250. I do like the smaller second shelf on the 1100 vs the 1250. My 1250 second shelf it large so its a nice burn hazard when trying to reach ribs on the lower shelf. The 1250 does have the nice front shelf (which I love) and the power outlet (which I daisy chain my griddle to). Both have the nice conduit for the wires and the 40 pound rear hopper.

So If you have to have a grill now, I think the 1100 is a nice looking grill
If you can wait a month or so, pick up the 1250 on sale and you'll get the 1100 basically with the front shelf and a slightly larger second shelf (if you want more room)
If you can wait a little, pick up a 700 if they throw it on sale and I bet the 700 and a comp cart will come out close to where the 1100 price is now.

These legs seem to be much nicer than the previous legs, but I would still get a comp cart, personally, if buying a new grill because I like the 4 large caster wheels

I ended up going with the 1250 and it is my first pellet grill. I think I took @Greg Jones advice and got the size bigger than what probably would have been enough for me. I ended up getting mine during the 4th of July say so it ended up being a little lower than what the current flagship is. I do like the half shelf since I did burn myself the only time I had the shelf in place. I would probably pick up a half self if they offered one. I would say if you can get the 1250 or the 700 on sale you are basically getting the same grill as the new flag ship. Yes the new one is 2 inches taller and has a better cart and the bucket is underneath, but the guts and the most important stuff is the same.

Can I buy the diffuser and add it to any RecTeq to make it a “direct fire” grill? Remove the drip pan?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrzBBQ
Back