New Local Meat Market

Dr.Floyd

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I was really excited for a new local meat market's grand opening. And then I saw the prices. Prime brisket point or flat, no whole $11.99 lb. Wagyu brisket cut the same way and it is $25 lb. Does this seem high compared to meat markets in your area?

I prefer to support local small businesses, but this seems high to me. The other one that is close, 40 minutes away, has prime brisket for $4.99 lb. And whole pork belly for $3.99 lb. I guess I will continue making the trip.

Glad to hear you have options but…

I have found that the discussion goes beyond the price per pound and comparative reasonableness, but instead turns to the type of beef, where it was sourced and other factors such as their volume levels and ability to negotiate/leverage their supply chain. I have always been surprised at how companies like Omaha Steak continue their long success. I’ve not only ordered from them but spent a lot of time in Omaha and its surrounding areas. They offer a decent product (for what it is) and obvious convenience at a price. However, you can go down the street to a restaurant and have a better experience. Here in California, where you would think a meat market would be able to lock in their suppliers due to volume, the prices are high because everyone wants some special way to raise the cow or selection (e.g., Wagyu/American Angus, grass fed, hormone free, free range, yada, yada, yada). Most sucessful businesses are also good at predicting the customer demand curve out here. If you have a “rich“ clientele in multi-million dollar houses, there is a different price versus watching the same truck drop off its shipment in a less affluent neighborhood and miraculously, the price is cheaper! Is that because of labor costs, costs for infrastructure (rent, insurance, and the like) or just a manager/owner that knows the value of their product. In summary, prices are all over the place. I have been in discussions with Costco and even they are finding it difficult to source prime grade brisket and Ribeyes. If you see them, I suggest you buy them because it may be a while before things return to what we consider “normal”. Just my thoughts. I look forward to others’ opinions on this topic.

I was really excited for a new local meat market's grand opening. And then I saw the prices. Prime brisket point or flat, no whole $11.99 lb. Wagyu brisket cut the same way and it is $25 lb. Does this seem high compared to meat markets in your area?

I prefer to support local small businesses, but this seems high to me. The other one that is close, 40 minutes away, has prime brisket for $4.99 lb. And whole pork belly for $3.99 lb. I guess I will continue making the trip.
With the greatest of respect, I think your second paragraph sums up everything pretty well.

I'm fortunate in that we have a very good local market that runs twice yearly meat sales. Their prices on boneless rib roast and tenderloins have been $8.99 and $11.99 per pound respectively. Now those prices may go up a buck or two per pound this fall, but they're still quite a bit better than the other stores. I think they've been selling whole fryers for about $1.89/lb. I just buy those, cut 'em up/portion them myself and seal a meal them. The whole chicken is less cost than butchered, boneless chicken breasts.

I'm a 90 or 95%'er. If I can get away with paying half and the cuts of meat are 90 or 95% the quality of the high priced spread, I'm more than happy.

For me, I'd probably never be able to tell the difference between choice and prime brisket anyway.

It’s in line with the sort of local butchers that are in high price areas/towns. If I drive to lower cost towns the butcher prices are also lower. The lower cost shop also would not have Prime where as the high price store does. If I want the best I’ve got to pay the price.

It’s in line with the sort of local butchers that are in high price areas/towns. If I drive to lower cost towns the butcher prices are also lower. The lower cost shop also would not have Prime where as the high price store does. If I want the best I’ve got to pay the price.
I live in Granby just down the road from you, what are the local butchers you are happy with?

So I live in in a small town with a couple of “farm stands” they type that grow some of their own herbs and some veggies but out source everything else to a regional business. My town is seaside (cape cod) and the real estate prices reflect that in the surround 30-60mins drive at the best.

Well one of the stands is 1/4 mile from my house and membership gives you 24/7 access with a keypad and the honor system. My bizzare work schedule and having a (almost) 2 year old I make a surprising amount of 3am trips for necessity things such as milk or short rib. Well they had what I considered to be unreasonable priced meat and it’s all frozen at that. Beef from one farm and pork from another.

Well I often go to a high school friends house who lives in a area 40 mins away and is a farming community. He has his neighbor over who owns said pig farm that supplies meat for the farm stand by my house. After having a few nights of conversation with his neighbor and his wife who run it. Also going over and helping to wrangle a few pigs who got loose. (They are way bigger smarter and stronger than I ever thought) I now understand the pricing. Him and his wife do almost all the work and cost is insane vs someone in bumfuck nowhere… everything is inflated, from property taxes, to labor to even equipment rentals. That’s before you even compare that to a corporate enterprise. Frankly the whole idea is unsustainable for business in our area without govt subsidies in my opinion. They burn the candle at both ends, hit every side Avenue such as brewing Gin which has a farm exemption, ect. Sadly subdividing the property and making condos for yuppies would make more profit in 5 years than their current business in the next 100.

As someone who spent early years living in bumfuck no-where I remember my school classes being increased by traveling foreign migrants for the first couple months of the year by kids who's parents came to help with harvest… The local Turkey farm had barn space measured in acres or even sq miles. That doesn’t and can’t happen in this region. I understand how much of a uphill battle they have… worst part is their product isn’t as good either due to cost issues. That being said I go out of my way to buy their product for the same reason I go to the local hardware store instead of Amazon when I can…I want them to be around when SHTF. But if I’m feeding a crowd I go to BJs.

Last edited:
I live in Granby just down the road from you, what are the local butchers you are happy with?
I said “sort of local”, but my favorite for steaks (prime) is one of the Guido’s, the closer being in Great Barrington”, which for me is fine as I fish out that way once or twice a week. There is also Avon Prime Meats down on 44 in of course Avon, got to bring the big boy wallet with you if you go. Guido’s has a senior discount if you qualify, I do.

Not nearly as good is North Elm in Westfield, I don’t buy meat there anymore, they do however have excellent horse radish in season and carry Mr C’s Terriaki sauce which is the best we’ve found. Used to get it direct from the manufacturer but they no longer sell direct.

fwiw, Guido’s is about 75 min away, and Avon is maybe 40 min, closer for PRC.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back