Would you pay $40 lb for local fresh prime ribeye?

I can get prime ribeye at Costco for $15.99. You would think that at $38.99 he would at least trim them tight and string tie the results. What price on the strips next to the ribeyes?

Don't know on the strips yet.. pic was taken from their Facebook page.. have yet to get there but planning soon. They are in a soft opening and actual opening is this weekend on the 19th.

I wonder where the OLD ribeyes go when few-to-no people buy them? Sausage or burgers (?), those may end up being pretty pricy as well. I hope you can find something reasonable to help support the business without feeling like you're getting gouged.
They’ll probably bump the price up to $50/lb for “dry-aged ribeye steaks.” :rolleyes:

Well it seems unanimous these prices are a bit extreme to be polite :).. It makes me want to try to just to see if I’m missing something lol.
I'd be inclined to try it once. But, at the prices I have paid when loading up, I've been really happy with what I've gotten.

I have a suspicion that this company may not survive if they keep their current pricing structure. As you go higher in price, there are fewer and fewer customers willing to pay for that rarified air. If I can get meat that is 98% of what they are selling and pay 50% less, I'm going the "cheap" route. :)

Cheap route is a grinder. I make taco meat and freeze it for about $2.50/lb including spices. $3.50/lb to make fresh sausage all in with meat, spices, guts, bags, tape. I also like to make 50/50 burgers - pork and beef. It's not a cost thing, just tastes better to me. Yes you're substituting labor for cost, but you're also likely upping the quality because you control what goes thru the grinder.
(captain obvious statement: yes, your first burger will cost a few hundred dollars)

I was thinking when I first saw this post that I'd probably try it once, but I'd eyeball them first and see if they look any different than other cheaper primes, like Costco. We only have steaks once or twice a year so no big deal.

I'd be inclined to try it once. But, at the prices I have paid when loading up, I've been really happy with what I've gotten.

I have a suspicion that this company may not survive if they keep their current pricing structure. As you go higher in price, there are fewer and fewer customers willing to pay for that rarified air. If I can get meat that is 98% of what they are selling and pay 50% less, I'm going the "cheap" route. :)
We had a local shop like this that was carrying fresh seafood as well as meats. Good selection and good quality. But, like the place referenced in this thread, very high prices. I went in one time. I really wanted to buy some fish. But, in the end I left empty handed. I thought to myself that they won’t last. They were gone within six months. Sad. People need to do a more thorough market analysis before jumping into business. Too often they think, “this town really needs ‘X’! No one else is doing ‘X’!” Maybe they should seriously ask themselves, “I wonder why no one else is doing ‘X’!”

We had a local shop like this that was carrying fresh seafood as well as meats. Good selection and good quality. But, like the place referenced in this thread, very high prices. I went in one time. I really wanted to buy some fish. But, in the end I left empty handed. I thought to myself that they won’t last. They were gone within six months. Sad. People need to do a more thorough market analysis before jumping into business. Too often they think, “this town really needs ‘X’! No one else is doing ‘X’!” Maybe they should seriously ask themselves, “I wonder why no one else is doing ‘X’!”

It is certainly creating waves throughout the surrounding towns and lots of initial feedback are all positive. My area is very mixed with demographics and you can literally draw lines in the sand (pun intended in coastal communities).

They will do well as long as the quality is there. I am seeing other prices for things like sandwiches being reasonable. The Boars head meats seem pricy but I think that is expected.

We did need something like this but I do question if it is sustainable. The location would require a drive into my town for most of the folks that would fork out this kind of coin.

There are enough locals that can sustain it but it would need to be consistent. One visit and not coming back for some time will not cut it. I need to get in there and see overall what the pricing looks like. My hope is they make it but likely I would not frequent it much especially for meats. At this cost, even if I could afford it, my cheap side would prevent it LOL.

I've got a butcher about 25 min away - going further out into the country vs in closer to the city. They are packed every time I've been. People waited 30 deep outside in the rain during The Pandemic™. I can't really explain it. They are more expensive than all the corporate grocery stores out there. They're kind of out there location wise. Obviously the quality has to be there, but I think it's the customer service. Never got anything bad from there, and everyone's happy and helpful.

Have a conversation with the butcher and get his take on that particular lot of beef. His knowledge and customer service is part of the cost. Use it! A relationship far outways cheap prices with no customer service (IMHO).

I buy Costco beef and like it. I also buy beef from a company called Ramey's meats and there is no comparison. Ramey's is far better. Give it a shot. You may be surprised. Every day is a gift so treat yourself as often as you can. And remember, your money only needs to outlast you by one day!

Have a conversation with the butcher and get his take on that particular lot of beef. His knowledge and customer service is part of the cost. Use it! A relationship far outways cheap prices with no customer service (IMHO).

I buy Costco beef and like it. I also buy beef from a company called Ramey's meats and there is no comparison. Ramey's is far better. Give it a shot. You may be surprised. Every day is a gift so treat yourself as often as you can. And remember, your money only needs to outlast you by one day!

Love your way of thinking! I need to be more like this every day :)

So we have a new Italian market opening up the road. They posted this pic on their FP page and the price is $38.99 lb for Prime Ribeye.

My question is.. would you pay this kind of $$ based on the grade and looks? It's about double what I think (or really want to pay) it should be but a local market like this I would support if it is really worth it.

Not sure how much the fresh sausage is. Have to take a ride up the road when I have a minute. They are in a soft opening right now but seems stocked from the pics I have seen.

View attachment 17994
I would not pay that

I wouldn’t think of it. I can get prime from Costco for a better price and at the end of the day, unless it is a special cow (American Angus, Wagyu, or similar, my taste buds won’t be able to tell the difference. I went to the 2nd most popular Kobe beef restaurant located in Japan’s Ginza district. I had a ~4-6oz Kobe steak served in Japan’s traditional style (i.e., seated under the table, 9 courses, wait staff in kimonos, etc.) with bourbon served using ice from a glacier, and paid over $450 for the experience. The best part of my evening was going to a hole in the wall sushi restaurant after the dinner at 2:00am for cheap sushi to get full. My taste buds haven’t been calibrated well enough to tell the difference for the price. lol. Just my thoughts.

I wouldn’t think of it. I can get prime from Costco for a better price and at the end of the day, unless it is a special cow (American Angus, Wagyu, or similar, my taste buds won’t be able to tell the difference. I went to the 2nd most popular Kobe beef restaurant located in Japan’s Ginza district. I had a ~4-6oz Kobe steak served in Japan’s traditional style (i.e., seated under the table, 9 courses, wait staff in kimonos, etc.) with bourbon served using ice from a glacier, and paid over $450 for the experience. The best part of my evening was going to a hole in the wall sushi restaurant after the dinner at 2:00am for cheap sushi to get full. My taste buds haven’t been calibrated well enough to tell the difference for the price. lol. Just my thoughts.

It always works this way right?? :)

I tried Uber priced ribeyes from a local meat store after the owner talked about aging etc. They were great but at half the price, Costco prime ribeyes were the better deal. I also aged an entire rib for 42 days in a spare fridge to replicate the expensive steaks. Tasty, but I lost the use of my fridge for 42 days and there was a lot of waste. I stick with Costco prime. Seems like it’s the best value to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back