New Knife in the House!

I gotta stop reading this thread...
Too late for me. I apparently need to stand watch at the front door next week when I receive a couple of knife deliveries from UPS. Oh well, outdoor cooking season is coming up in all of its splendor very soon.

Apologizing later is always easier than asking for permission first.

“Seek forgiveness rather than permission!” Been there, done that! :rolleyes:

I just shifted gears and added this…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H6L6FA?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

…to my ever-growing collection of knife sharpening tools. I liked the idea of a two-sided diamond plate with 600 and 1200 grit. My first use this morning confirmed for me that it was a good choice for taking a slightly dull blade to wicked sharpness in short order.

My Wusthof Classic 7” Chinese Chef’s Knife showed signs of getting dull last night when I prepped some veggies for a salad. So, this morning, I used the new diamond plate to touch it up. First, the base (with rubber feet) is amazing in its ability to stay put on the granite countertop In the kitchen. And, just a few passes on the 600-grit side and a few more on the 1200-grit side plus a brief honing with the steel restored the blade to wicked sharpness. And, I mean “wicked sharpness.” It sliced sheets of paper like they were weren’t even there.

The Chinese chef’s knife is one of the reasons why I haven’t (yet) sprung for a Nakiri. It is so easy to prep veggies with it and the width of the blade allows me to just scoop the results up and deposit them in a bowl or pan. At first glance, it is a BIG blade, but after using it a bit, it handles like a much smaller knife. As a result, I use it quite a lot. YMMV

Last edited:
Jim,
About 2 years ago, I finally bought the same stand with 10 x 4 diamond laps in coarse, fine and extra fine, and the magnetic leather strop. The coarse rarely gets used, but if I'm asked to sharpen friend's knives, that haven't been sharpened in years, it can come in handy. It always amazes me how dull people will get their knives.

Jim,
About 2 years ago, I finally bought the same stand with 10 x 4 diamond laps in coarse, fine and extra fine, and the magnetic leather strop. The coarse rarely gets used, but if I'm asked to sharpen friend's knives, that haven't been sharpened in years, it can come in handy. It always amazes me how dull people will get their knives.
@Roaniecowpony, I already had the coarse stone/plate and, as you, found it only useful for badly abused blades. My knives never get to the “badly abused” point, so I wasn’t using it much.

I have a collection of “natural” stones, but they don’t stay put very well unless I use them in a jig out in the shop. I wanted something I could use in the kitchen on short notice. This Fine/Extra Fine (600 mesh/1200 mesh) combination seems about right. I am thinking of adding the Extra Extra Fine (8000 mesh) plate for final polishing.

I am a bit of a snob when it comes to pocket knives, but I've never been too picky in the kitchen. As long as I can make it sharp, it'll do.

We have a 30 year old set of Chicago Cutlery knives I haven't been able to wear out yet. Along with a drawer full of odds and ends I've picked up at garage sales. But my favorite knife in our kitchen is a Pampered Chef 5" Santoku. Wife got it for free after having a party. I'm sure the steel is nothing exotic, but I can put a scary sharp edge on that thing that holds up really well.

I just shifted gears and added this…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H6L6FA?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

…to my ever-growing collection of knife sharpening tools. I liked the idea of a two-sided diamond plate with 600 and 1200 grit. My first use this morning confirmed for me that it was a good choice for taking a slightly dull blade to wicked sharpness in short order.
I have the same diamond stones. They work very well. My problem is that I get impatient and don't maintain a good sharpening angle consistently, particularly on larger blades. Hence the reason I pay to have my knives sharpened these days. I do still attempt some touch ups if I feel inspired and have a little free time on my hands.

I am a bit of a snob when it comes to pocket knives, but I've never been too picky in the kitchen. As long as I can make it sharp, it'll do.

We have a 30 year old set of Chicago Cutlery knives I haven't been able to wear out yet. Along with a drawer full of odds and ends I've picked up at garage sales. But my favorite knife in our kitchen is a Pampered Chef 5" Santoku. Wife got it for free after having a party. I'm sure the steel is nothing exotic, but I can put a scary sharp edge on that thing that holds up really well.
I don’t know about today’s Chicago Cutlery knives, but I inherited one from my FIL that has to be at least 75 years old. The blade is high-carbon steel, not stainless, and it will still take and hold a very sharp edge. “Back in the day,” CC knives were considered to be pretty decent tools.

I suspect that your 30-year-old CC set are probably pretty good knives.

Last edited:
I have the same diamond stones. They work very well. My problem is that I get impatient and don't maintain a good sharpening angle consistently, particularly on larger blades. Hence the reason I pay to have my knives sharpened these days. I do still attempt some touch ups if I feel inspired and have a little free time on my hands.
I wish we had a good, mobile knife sharpening service near me. That said, sharpening knives is a form of therapy for me. I actually enjoy it and knowing that I put a really nice edge on a knife is satisfying every time I use it.

Wow! That’s quite a contraption. Looks like something Rube Goldberg would come up with.
That my favorite 'style' of sharpener, though that one looks pretty flimsy.

Pretty sure the OG of that style is TSProf, and they are super spendy.

I have a Work Sharp Precision Adjust with diamond stones that is my favorite for knives under 6" in length. I have a bunch of pocket knives with S35VN blades and it makes them scary sharp.

Knives I have that are over 6", kitchen, fillet, etc are all either stainless or high carb. Those I hit with paper wheels on a bench grinder. Nothing beats the paper wheels to get a knife sharp, fast. But they don't really work on the modern super steels

You just get the surface wet. It's been a while, but I think I used a spray bottle.

Jim, do you have to soak the stone in water before using, like a traditional wet stone? Whet online to review and did not see any mention about that.
According to the instructions that came with it, you can use it wet or dry. It definitely does not have to be pre-soaked. I generally use a small spritz bottle filled with distilled water (the “distilled” is probably overkill but I always have it on hand). I have also used DMT diamond plates dry with no problem.

The important part is washing them down with water and a Scitch Brite sponge to remove the fine swarf. I do it after every use, but it would probably work just as well after every couple of uses.

Last edited:
According to the instructions that came with it, you can use it wet or dry. It definitely does not have to be pre-soaked. I generally use a small spritz bottle filled with distilled water (the “distilled” is probably overkill but I always have it on hand). I have also used DMT diamond plates dry with no problem.

The important part is washing them down with water and a Scitch Brite sponge to remove the fine scarf. I do it after every use, but it would probably work just as well after every couple of uses.
Thanks, ordered it. I was never very good with the traditional wet stones.

I am looking for a good knife for primarily trimming the fat off briskets, ribs, etc. Currently, I use a Henkel santoku knife. I want a good on. But I don’t know if I need to go all out for a knife that is mainly for this purpose. I am currently looking at the Shun Classic Boning and Fillet 6” (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JPGZRW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1). It is significantly cheaper on Amazon than on the Shun site. Thoughts?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back