New Knife in the House!

Now you've done it... haha

I went on the hunt and settled for a 7" Miyabi Artisan non-rocker version.
Nice knife! I now have two Miyabi knives-the first one is an 8ā€ version of your knife.
IMG_1415.jpeg

This is a great thread. For us novice guys... would love a guide of what you need... basics... advanced..

I am absolutely an amateur. My drawer would probably make you all laugh. I have the knives that Bearded Butcher guys swear by for trimming. I bought an Amazon carving knife. But on my Youtube feed i keep getting that add with the guy saying 'my wife bought me this crazy knife, i love that girl'. Ha. It is tempting... weird looking thing (looks more like a Crappie than a knife). I see those guys who carve up Blue Fin tuna using something similar.

I would love a Smoking/BBQ knifes 101 for amateurs please... What kind do you have? For what purpose? Why? e.g. Japan versus German? Brands? Anything would be great!
Iā€™m not an expert, but I grew up in a lifestyle where, even as a kid, if someone asked you ā€œDo you have a knife on you?ā€œ the standard reply might be something like ā€œIā€™m wearing my pants, arenā€™t I?ā€ So Iā€™ve loved, carried, and cooked with knives most of my life. So while I know what I like, there are absolutely plenty of opinions on kitchen cutlery that are opposite of what I believe, and they are perfectly valid for that user and their situation.

Having said that, in no particular order to the points you mention:

There is nothing wrong at all with one of the lower priced trimming knives. I use a curved trimmer from Mercer-costs $12 on Amazon. When itā€™s dull, I donate it to a charity where hopefully the next owner will be inspired to sharpen it or use it as-is.

As to what knives you need, not nearly as many as the knife manufacturers want you to believe and not nearly as many of some of us here have. I do 95+% of my kitchen knife work with these two knives-a 5ā€ Santoku and a pairing knife. Beyond that, itā€™s nice to have a trimming knife, as we have discussed, you will want a brisket slicer if brisket is something you smoke, and a small serrated knife is hand for slicing tomatoes and other thin skinned vegetables. If you bake or buy whole loves of bread, a bread slicer is nice to have. Also, a bread slicer can double as a brisket slicer, but the slices are not as attractive as when using a brisket slicer. Brisket slicers also tend to be cheap, just like trimming knives. Oh, and you will need a hone-use it often, as like every time you use the knife.

As for styles of knives, there are Western knives like the Wusthof, Japanese knives, and knives that are a hybrid of the Western and Japanese knives, like the Miyabi. Itā€™s important that you find a knife that is comfortable in your hand. Ensure that you test comfort by holding the knife in a pinch grip, assuming you use a knife that way. Some knives can have a swell in the handle that feels great when holding it full grip, but gets uncomfortable when you use a pinch grip. Iā€™d encourage you to look at some knives in a retail store that has a good selection of good knives, like a Williams & Sonoma.

As to knife steel, I donā€™t know if any quality maker today uses bad steel. They all heat treat to different levels of hardness, but personally I donā€™t get too fixated on that if the knife otherwise checks all the boxes. The final point Iā€™ll mention is the bolster, where the blade terminates at the handle. Some knives have a full bolster, some have a half bolster, and some have no bolster. Iā€™m not a fan of my everyday knives that I want to rock-cut with having a full bolster. If they are sharpened enough, over time the full bolster wonā€™t allow the knife to make a full cut over the blade length, on a cutting board. Pictured top to bottom below, full, half, no bolster.

Edited to add one point that I forgot to make. I tend to prefer a chef knife that is on the shorter side. The Japanese chef knives tend to be 8-10ā€, that full bolster knife below is 9ā€ and Iā€™m happiest with something 8ā€ or less. Also, Iā€™ve seen that knife ad on YouTube and if my wife bought me one of those, Iā€™d ask her what she had been smoking! But again, different strokes.
IMG_1417.jpeg
IMG_1416.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice summary, @Greg Jones. The growing up with knives comment was especially meaningful to me as I had a similar experience. In my family, knives were thought of as essential tools and, as a result, they were always at hand and ALWAYS SHARP. My grandfather drilled into me that a dull knife was a very dangerous thing and a very sharp one was much safer because it would be respected. As a result, I have always had SHARP knives.

A couple of personal observations on your summary. First, while I have a couple of paring knives in the collection, I rarely use them. My wife does, however. Instead, I use a very short (4-1/2ā€) chefā€™s knife for most ā€œparing knifeā€ tasks. Just my personal preference.

Second, I prefer a full bolster blade as it gives the forward finger a safe, comfortable resting point. Thatā€™s one of the reasons I like the Wusthof Classic series of knives; full bolster and solid feeling, comfortable handle. Your point about checking out various knives for feel is a good one. Knives need to feel good in your hand.

I have never had an issue with the full bolster interfering with making a full cut, even after 20 years of sharpening. It may depend on exactly how you sharpen the blade. To each their own.

I, too, like the Santoku. It is one of my go-to knives. My preference is the 7ā€ but thatā€™s just a personal choice. The 5ā€ Santoku is a great knife as well.

I think if I were advising a newcomer to cooking, I would suggest starting with the following (you donā€™t have to buy them all at once):

(1) 8ā€ or 6ā€ chefā€™s knife
(2) 5ā€ or 7ā€ Santoku
(3) 4ā€ paring or 4-1/2ā€ chefā€™s knife
(4) serrated bread knife
(5) 6ā€ to 8ā€ meat fork
(6) 10ā€œ or 12ā€honing steel

Donā€™t forget to add a set of diamond sharpening stones/plates in 300/400, 600 and 1200 grit.

If you are into grilling/smoking, as most of us are, then add

(7) 6ā€ flexible boning knife (for trimming)
(8) 11ā€ to 14ā€ brisket slicer.

By the time you get to this point, you will probably have gained enough experience to know what other knives appeal to you. Just know that knife addiction is a recognized grilling/smoking chefā€™s disease and can take over your life. :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: Oh, and add a wood knife storage block or magnetic knife holder to keep your knives from banging around in a drawer. Select one that will store at least twice the amount of knives you think you will have! Trust me on this; it comes from personal experience.

Last edited:
It looks like Wusthof has discontinued one of my favorite knives, the Classic 6ā€ curved boning knife. :cry:

https://www.amazon.com/WĆ¼sthof-Clas...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

This knife is outstanding for trimming a brisket and does a great job of separating larger cuts of meat. It will take and hold an incredibly sharp edge.

There are a few left out in the marketplace if anyone is looking for one, but they will probably disappear quickly. I may just have to pick up an extra one or two as potential gifts.

It looks like Wusthof has discontinued one of my favorite knives, the Classic 6ā€ curved boning knife. :cry:

https://www.amazon.com/WĆ¼sthof-Classic-Curved-Boning-1040134516/dp/B085V5NQ85/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=345581807447&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033503&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9518796779406544168&hvtargid=kwd-331350791932&hydadcr=3380_9786053&keywords=wusthof+boning+knife+6+inch&qid=1682967542&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

This knife is outstanding for trimming a brisket and does a great job of separating larger cuts of meat. It will take and hold an incredibly sharp edge.

There are a few left out in the marketplace if anyone is looking for one, but they will probably disappear quickly. I may just have to pick up an extra one or two as potential gifts.

Yer killin me haha

It was time for a boning knife upgrade too so I went for a more spendy Shun boning/fillet knife that ended up le$$ (on sale).
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 4.52.09 PM.png

I have the older version of the Wustof Classic boning knife that I never really cared for for briskets and other big chunks of meat. Just hit Buy It Now as well. Damn enablers.

I wish Wustof made their brisket knife in the Classic design. I've been using their carving knife which works, but I feel like I could do better. I'm so heavily committed to Wustof Classic at the point that I really don't want to deviate too far.

This thread actually reminds me that I need to make my semi-annual call to the mobile knife sharpener. Yes, I am lazy, but also recognize that repetition of certain tasks yields better results than me trying to do the same tasks a couple times a year.

Yer killin me haha

It was time for a boning knife upgrade too so I went for a more spendy Shun boning/fillet knife that ended up le$$ (on sale).View attachment 19142
Looks like a nice knife; similar in shape to my Wusthof. The thin, curved blade makes it easy to use for trimming.

I have the older version of the Wustof Classic boning knife that I never really cared for for briskets and other big chunks of meat. Just hit Buy It Now as well. Damn enablers.

I wish Wustof made their brisket knife in the Classic design. I've been using their carving knife which works, but I feel like I could do better. I'm so heavily committed to Wustof Classic at the point that I really don't want to deviate too far.

This thread actually reminds me that I need to make my semi-annual call to the mobile knife sharpener. Yes, I am lazy, but also recognize that repetition of certain tasks yields better results than me trying to do the same tasks a couple times a year.
I agree; it would be nice if Wusthof made a big brisket slicer in their Classic line. I went with their Gourmet 14ā€ Hollow Edge Brisket Slicer and havenā€™t regretted it.

https://www.amazon.com/14-Brisket-Slicer-Hollow-Edge/dp/B00A6L1TCG

It is a stamped blade rather than forged, but seems to hold a decent edge. The handle shape and appearance is nearly identical to the Classic series.

Enableā€¦enableā€¦enable! :ROFLMAO:

FYI, I typically buy my Wustof stuff directly from them. Like most manufacturers theses days, they fix their pricing so there are no deals from other retailers.

A few years back "someone" (MIL) dropped my serrated bread knife and cracked the handle. I contacted Wustof and had a free replacement shipped sight unseen other than the fact that they could verify I bought the original directly from them. At the time the knife was already over 10 years old.

FYI, I typically buy my Wustof stuff directly from them. Like most manufacturers theses days, they fix their pricing so there are no deals from other retailers.

A few years back "someone" (MIL) dropped my serrated bread knife and cracked the handle. I contacted Wustof and had a free replacement shipped sight unseen other than the fact that they could verify I bought the original directly from them. At the time the knife was already over 10 years old.
I, too, typically buy direct from Wusthof for the same reason. The link to Amazon for the Classic 8ā€ Curved Boning Knife was provided because that particular knife is no longer available directly from Wusthof. The link to Amazon for the Gourmet 14ā€ Brisket Slicer was provided because I was lazy. :rolleyes:

As for the service you received, it is what I would expect though I have not yet needed it. It is a quality company with a strong dedication to customer service. And, Wusthof provides superb products, along with superb customer service. Years ago, I encountered a Wusthof field representative at a demonstration held at a large cooking supply place. We had a nice chat and he gave me some tips on the proper way to use a honing steel. After all these years, I still hone my knives the way he suggested.

I bought a Wusthof Classic 20 piece block set 3 years ago on Amazon for 55% off the list price. I had one of the steak knifes snap off about 3ā€ of the tip. Wusthof has a great lifetime warranty. All I had to do was send in the broken knife after filling out an online warranty claim form and they sent one back to me a week later.

I bought a Wusthof Classic 20 piece block set 3 years ago on Amazon for 55% off the list price. I had one of the steak knifes snap off about 3ā€ of the tip. Wusthof has a great lifetime warranty. All I had to do was send in the broken knife after filling out an online warranty claim form and they sent one back to me a week later.
I wasnā€™t aware of their warranty-perhaps they would have replaced my broken tip Santoku? Too late now, imma not parting with it!

I wasnā€™t aware of their warranty-perhaps they would have replaced my broken tip Santoku? Too late now, imma not parting with it!
Iā€™m sure they would have, @Greg Jones. Their ā€œlifetime warrantyā€ is pretty much that; if it breaks in any way, they will replace it. And, while it is a bit easier if you bought it directly from them, as long as you have a purchase receipt, they will honor the warranty. Whatā€™s interesting to me in this thread is that I now know two people who qualified for warranty coverage. In my 20+ years of using Wusthof products, I havenā€™t needed warranty coverage or known anyone who did. :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back