Knife sharpener for a beginner

Eddy

Premium Member!
Premium Member
I have some Mercer slicing knives that were razor sharp when I first made them and while still sharp not to the same degree. I've never sharpened a knife in my life so what would be a good knife sharpener for a beginner like myself?

TIA!

If they are not really dull then a set of Sharpening Sticks are pretty simple to use. Easy to keep them sharp if you do a brief sharpening every time you use a knife. I don't remember the last time I had to get serious and pull out the diamond plates. I use a diamond rod regularly.

If you let them go dull then you have to get something like stonebreaker mentions, or learn to use stones or some such.

Couple options here.

First up is cheap and only to be used if you don't care about your knives. It runs $10ish at Amazon (Click me) and just about anyone can use it. Many many years ago I used one occasionally on some knives I didn't care about and it worked well enough. The results aren't incredible and but it works.

If you want to spend a little more and invest a little more time in learning the proper way to use a sharpener (which I recommend) I would look into the aforementioned Worksharp or my personal favorite would be something like the Sharpmaker from Spyderco.

Either way, the goal is to "hone" it regularly which straightens out the edge at the microscopic level which will make it sharp for many uses. Eventually you will need to actually sharpen it though which involves removing material by putting a new edge on it so that's not something you want to do every time you use them.

Lots of options out there. Find what works best for you and go for it.

Yep, eddy, that's it. Best and fastest sharpening system I've ever used. That 6,000 grit belt will hone it to a razor's edge. It's like a leather strop. You just have to be careful of the tip or it will round it.

One of these guys will also do a decent job and not take up much room. Like Ostrichsak says above, proper honing will get you close to the sharpness you want to be at.

One little trick I learned with mine is to always have the belt running up in relation to the blade just like you should do on a stone. After sharpening one side I turn it around so the belt is still running up against the blade. As already said the 6,000 grit belt is like a leather strop and puts a razor edge on it.

I have one of the Chef's Choice sharpeners (This is similar) It does an OK job but I feel the knife doesn't stay sharp for long. That being said, I just pulled the trigger on the Worksharp Ken Onion edition and will report back my findings.

I bought a Cangshan 3-Stage Adjustable 14-24 Degree Professional Knife

71F3qybW1ML._AC_SX466_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Cangshan-1026108-Adjustable-Professional-Sharpener/dp/B08D1QKRF9

Are you happy with it??
Gets here today so we'll see, got some dull knives I'll test it out on but its rated good on knife sites and the price was right.
I'm not looking to be a professional knife sharpener and wanted something simple to use but worked, reviews on this one and similar looking devices were good.
The one listed above, Chef's Choice, is one of the top rated sharpeners, the difference between that one and this one is the Chef's Choice is motorized.

Gets here today so we'll see, got some dull knives I'll test it out on but its rated good on knife sites and the price was right.
I'm not looking to be a professional knife sharpener and wanted something simple to use but worked, reviews on this one and similar looking devices were good.
The one listed above, Chef's Choice, is one of the top rated sharpeners, the difference between that one and this one is the Chef's Choice is motorized.
Keep us posted, please.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back