Best Brisket Knife

spartyonjoe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Anyone have any good recommendations for a slicing brisket knife? My standard chef knives don’t seem to work well for me.

Yeah, I picked-up a 14" Serrated "Bread" Knife, and love it
$21.00 delivered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3027926502...rentrq:dd0b2fd31790a7b1ce354cb5ffe35f49|iid:1

Our Brisket Knife.jpg

I am also in the Dalstrong 12" Gladiator camp. I have had the knife for a while and love it. Used many times and have not sharpened it yet. I took a picture of a sliced brisket a few weeks back. My buddy asked what type of meat slicer I have that makes such great cuts. Told him my right arm and the Dalstrong. Great knife.

Dalstrong has been a hot brand among the pros and prosumers. I like the specs and reviews of the Shogun slicer.

But I am trying to buy goods from U.S. or good U.S. trading partners, especially my discretionary stuff. So, I'm considering the Kessaku Damascus Dynasty 12" slicer to step up from my Victorinox. Looks like it's in the low 60's RC, as opposed to the mid 50s for the Victorinox. It'll be harder to sharpen, but I have diamond plates.

Anyone have a Kessaku knife?

So, my question is what is actually better/more effective, serrated, chef type blade or a Granton type of blade? I have used a Mercer chef knife and Victorinox serrated "bread knife" all with good results. If I'm not careful, the serrated blade can dig into meat moreso than the chef blade. Should one be used over the other?

You can slice smoother and thinner with a straight edge (non-serrated) knife, if it's razor sharp. Many people just don't keep a knife sharp and then think a serrated knife works better.

Granton grooves or a hammered finish just break the surface tension of the liquid in the food and allow the knife to move more freely. Think smooth knife vs skeloten type knife through cheese. The more groove area vs flat area, the easier the knife is to draw without pulling on the meat.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Dalstrong has been a hot brand among the pros and prosumers. I like the specs and reviews of the Shogun slicer.

But I am trying to buy goods from U.S. or good U.S. trading partners, especially my discretionary stuff. So, I'm considering the Kessaku Damascus Dynasty 12" slicer to step up from my Victorinox. Looks like it's in the low 60's RC, as opposed to the mid 50s for the Victorinox. It'll be harder to sharpen, but I have diamond plates.

Anyone have a Kessaku knife?
I'll be honest, but this is just my opinion, I've followed the Dalstrong knives and the Kessaku knives and I believe they are both made in the same factory (and it isn't in Japan). They look identical, they even offer the same two steel options, the handles vary between series but on the top end series they are the same. The only difference I see is with the logos (which are actually pretty close) and the name on the blade. The packaging even mimics one another. Dalstrong proudly states they are made in China with Japanese or German steel, while Kessaku says the same about the steel but in a way that eludes to them being made in Japan. They never state where they are made. Dalstrong just has better marketing by putting their knives in the hands of chiefs and BBQ competition champs using challenges and other perks. And it works! Kessaku knives are cheaper than Dalstrong, but again I believe they have the same manufacture so why are they cheaper?

I would not get a serrated blade, they tear the meat, serrated is only good for bread IMO

I'll be honest, but this is just my opinion, I've followed the Dalstrong knives and the Kessaku knives and I believe they are both made in the same factory (and it isn't in Japan). They look identical, they even offer the same two steel options, the handles vary between series but on the top end series they are the same. The only difference I see is with the logos (which are actually pretty close) and the name on the blade. The packaging even mimics one another. Dalstrong proudly states they are made in China with Japanese or German steel, while Kessaku says the same about the steel but in a way that eludes to them being made in Japan. They never state where they are made. Dalstrong just has better marketing by putting their knives in the hands of chiefs and BBQ competition champs using challenges and other perks. And it works! Kessaku knives are cheaper than Dalstrong, but again I believe they have the same manufacture so why are they cheaper?

I suspected what you said about Kessaku being made in China, just based on the price and the lack of specifically stating "made in Japan". It'll be here tomorrow. I'll see. I just never found one with the desired blade profile with an advanced steel better than my Victorinox, that stated it was not made in China.

The Kessaku is indeed made in China. I'm thinking about sending it back. Hmm.
20210612_121006.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back