Best Brisket Knife

spartyonjoe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Anyone have any good recommendations for a slicing brisket knife? My standard chef knives don’t seem to work well for me.

If you can "master" only one kitchen skill, it should be that of properly sharpening a knife! You can get by with good, fair or sometimes even mediocre kitchen skills in other areas. but becoming a master in knife sharpening is the key to great cooking IMHO.
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Regrettably, I have never consistently truly mastered this skill after decades of trying. I have recently done the next best thing. I found a mobile knife sharpener that pulls his van up to my driveway a handful of times a year. He mainly deals with restaurants, but apparently I'm located on his way home. Last November he even knocked off 20% as a "holiday discount".

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Regrettably, I have never consistently truly mastered this skill after decades of trying. I have recently done the next best thing. I found a mobile knife sharpener that pulls his van up to my driveway a handful of times a year. He mainly deals with restaurants, but apparently I'm located on his way home. Last November he even knocked off 20% as a "holiday discount".
That would certainly be a time saver. All you need to do with a properly sharpened knife is to keep the edge honed and I think that is an easier skill to master.

Yes, there is a certain elegance to some guy showing up with a tray, loading up all of my Wustof Classic knives, heading out to his van, and coming back in a bit with everything razor sharp.

I too wish Wustof would make their brisket knife in the Classic style. My other Wustofs have served me well for decades (once I educated my wife that you do not cut things on the bare countertop).

And yes, I hone every knife before I attempt to slice anything. If not, you're likely to slice body parts...which I have also done many times. My offhand thumb tip will likely never fully "grow back". Chopping herbs with reckless abandon gets me every time!

My other Wustofs have served me well for decades (once I educated my wife that you do not cut things on the bare countertop).
Yes, there is a certain education process that needs to take place with other family members not as well-acquainted with sharp kitchen tools as we'd like. :rolleyes: At our abode, brisket slicing and boning knives are excluded from use by other than the grill master. ;)

I too wish Wustof would make their brisket knife in the Classic style. My other Wustofs have served me well for decades (once I educated my wife that you do not cut things on the bare countertop).
I’ve recently switched to a SpitJack brisket slicer. Fine knife and very closely matches the Wüsthof Classic style. It’s also available from Amazon.
IMG_1323.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve recently switched to a SpitJack brisket slicer. Fine knife and very closely matches the Wüsthof Classic style. It’s also available from Amazon.
View attachment 18818
To be clear, @Greg Jones, the Wusthof knife shown is from the Classic Ikon series rather that the original Classic. The Classic handle style is squared off rather than rounded.

Still a great knife, but for folks who like to have things "match," the SpitJack brisket knife will not match the Wusthof Classic series knives in handle style.

Do you find the 11-inch blade length on the SpitJack adequate for larger briskets?

Can't beat the price of that SpitJack though! You could buy a half dozen of them for the price of a Wustof.

To be clear, @Greg Jones, the Wusthof knife shown is from the Classic Ikon series rather that the original Classic. The Classic handle style is squared off rather than rounded.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Is this Knife then not what @Pacman is looking for?

The blade length has not been an issue thus far. It’s only about a half-inch shorter than my trusty Victorinix slicer.
IMG_1324.jpeg

Last edited:
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Is this Knife then not what @Pacman is looking for?

The blade length has not been an issue thus far. It’s only about a half-inch shorter than my trusty Victorinix slicer.
View attachment 18819
I don’t know, Greg; not sure where he stands regarding having things match up to his existing Wusthof Classic series.

View attachment 18819
Oops, sorry Greg; I misread the link. Yes, that's a Classic series slicer. It was just a bit shorter than I wanted for myself, so I went with the Gourmet series 14" brisket knife. https://www.wusthof.com/products/go...VBQWtBh2BzA9LEAQYASABEgJbvvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds. It has a similar style handle to my other Classic series knives.

View attachment 18819

Greg, I'm still using my wife's "cake and brownie" knife like the one you show on top. While Victorinox is a boring production, stamped, machine ground blade of an unexciting steel, it seems to have the perfect profile for slicing brisket (and a lot more tri-tip). The thin, stamped blade will glide through brisket like butter, when I do my job on the stones and strop. I think the thinness of the blade and the Granton grooves make for a great slicer. But since I "share" (yes, my wife gave it to me as a Christmas gift years ago) my knife with my baking wife, I have to straighten the edge with a steel and sharpen before most uses. But I do get to have some great cakes and brownies on occasion, and let's not forget the lemon bars. ;)

I thought I had found a similar profile, made with a super steel (SV35) in the Warther. But when it arrived, the workmanship just wasn't there. The cutting edge was not straight and was actually convex, to the point it would be a problem to hand sharpen on a flat stone. I suppose I could have straightened it out on my coarse diamond lap, but ended up sending it back.

Greg, I'm still using my wife's "cake and brownie" knife like the one you show on top. While Victorinox is a boring production, stamped, machine ground blade of an unexciting steel, it seems to have the perfect profile for slicing brisket (and a lot more tri-tip). The thin, stamped blade will glide through brisket like butter, when I do my job on the stones and strop. I think the thinness of the blade and the Granton grooves make for a great slicer. But since I "share" (yes, my wife gave it to me as a Christmas gift years ago) my knife with my baking wife, I have to straighten the edge with a steel and sharpen before most uses. But I do get to have some great cakes and brownies on occasion, and let's not forget the lemon bars. ;)

I thought I had found a similar profile, made with a super steel (SV35) in the Warther. But when it arrived, the workmanship just wasn't there. The cutting edge was not straight and was actually convex, to the point it would be a problem to hand sharpen on a flat stone. I suppose I could have straightened it out on my coarse diamond lap, but ended up sending it back.
Ooohhhhhhh, I was OK until you got to the lemon bars; then I melted! Not sure if I would let my wife use the Wusthof brisket knife to slice lemon bars on the granite countertop, but it would be tempting. I :love::love::love: lemon bars. They are my absolute favorite; hands down.

Ooohhhhhhh, I was OK until you got to the lemon bars; then I melted! Not sure if I would let my wife use the Wusthof brisket knife to slice lemon bars on the granite countertop, but it would be tempting. I :love::love::love: lemon bars. They are my absolute favorite; hands down.
OMG, lemon bars would be so good right now! Or some Girl Scout lemon cookies. I want to pretend I’m a semi-strict Keto observer, but anything baked with lemon in it trips me every time! The wife stopped in Wally World a couple of days ago, brought home a lemon pie and an apple pie. The lemon pie is long gone and I can’t blame my wife. But there is still some apple pie in the house!

I went to my local kitchen supply store grabbed a no-name knife… dirt cheap, plenty sharp decent quality.

Funny thing is I have cut literally miles of fish with precision in back in high school. Here I waffled these slices, kinda uneven and not all uniform. I can blame the whiskey but not the knife.

C6AC0D86-C677-4D8C-BE24-B6F47DC80C4A.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back