Bull New Grates / Racks... PCS Rackworks

spartanhuntr

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey All,

I am remiss in not posting this sooner. I understand others have already talked about these, but I am loving them and wanted to share since they have worked out so well.

Ordered these from Chad Peterson... PCS Rackworks. Came very quick. He communicated very well and shipped them quickly. The install was a BREEZE. And I am not a handy guy.

Seasoning was easy. Followed the instructions... cleaned them up and then sprayed them down with avocado oil. Did recommended time and temp. Then did some bacon. Meant to take pics but forgot.

Here are some pics of the after install and now after 3 cooks. LOVE THEM! Highly recommend. Being able to pull them out and so nice... Do note... you see orange grease cleaner on the shelf as when you do pull the racks out they do drip on the shelf. But fine with me... easy to clean.

https://pcsrackworks.com/

Recteq rack3.jpg
Recteq rack2.jpg
Recteq rack1.jpg

I would think the extra metal around RT temp probe would throw it off quite a bit ?

I do like though...

I havent noticed that. I am not an engineer either. So, no idea if it will. I would think (totally amateur statement coming) that the metal is constant, so it just will need to adjust but once it does it will stay constant.

Also - many other higher end smokers have these and I have never read it impacts Thermopro readings that are sitting right on the grates?

I will try my Thermopro next cook and see if i see differences? If it fluctuates a few degrees i will take that in exchange that for the better grates that these are and the ease of sliding them in and out! And a real top rack versus balancing the add on version from Req Tec. Loving these options!!!!

Good question. I don't. But will take some and post here.

For me... the ability to slide them in / out is even better than the space. The reality is I have only done 2-3 cooks in the 4-5 years i have owned it that i couldnt fit on the single rack. It is nice to have the second, but it was less about space. So, I hadnt thought much about different zone temps. Good thing to know for sure!

As stated, I really like sliding it out and being able to deal with everything in front of me. I also do not plan on cleaning this one the same way i did the old one. Not sure why I feel that way. But the original grates didnt seem to hold a season. It was either burnt on crud or it was clean. Little in between. So every 3/4 cooks when i did my cleaning I would clean the grates quite well. These seem to hold a better season. Retaining the grease/oil and not showing any indication of burnt on crud (knock on wood). You can kind of see that in the pic after doing a few cooks.

And i will 100% admit it feels more like a better quality smoker. I know that is 100% in my head but something nice about sliding those grates in and out. ha!

Will get back with temps when i have a chance to fire it back up. Too busy this week.

Hey All,

I am remiss in not posting this sooner. I understand others have already talked about these, but I am loving them and wanted to share since they have worked out so well.

Ordered these from Chad Peterson... PCS Rackworks. Came very quick. He communicated very well and shipped them quickly. The install was a BREEZE. And I am not a handy guy.

Seasoning was easy. Followed the instructions... cleaned them up and then sprayed them down with avocado oil. Did recommended time and temp. Then did some bacon. Meant to take pics but forgot.

Here are some pics of the after install and now after 3 cooks. LOVE THEM! Highly recommend. Being able to pull them out and so nice... Do note... you see orange grease cleaner on the shelf as when you do pull the racks out they do drip on the shelf. But fine with me... easy to clean.

View attachment 17536View attachment 17537View attachment 17538
Can you briefly describe the install?

Picture (or video in this case) is worth a thousand words. Check the link in the OP as there are install videos - looks VERY simple. Hardest part is probably drilling the pilot hole through the stainless.

Agree.. I found this to be SUPER easy.

Here is his youtube instruction video. There were paper instructions in the packaging. I simply watched the video and did it as instructed.

Super easy. Start to finish in 30 minutes. I followed his instructions step by step and it was super smooth.

Also NOTE: I do have the cold smoker box and it worked totally fine!

For me... the ability to slide them in / out is even better than the space. The reality is I have only done 2-3 cooks in the 4-5 years i have owned it that i couldnt fit on the single rack. It is nice to have the second, but it was less about space. So, I hadnt thought much about different zone temps. Good thing to know for sure!

As stated, I really like sliding it out and being able to deal with everything in front of me. I also do not plan on cleaning this one the same way i did the old one. Not sure why I feel that way. But the original grates didnt seem to hold a season. It was either burnt on crud or it was clean. Little in between. So every 3/4 cooks when i did my cleaning I would clean the grates quite well. These seem to hold a better season. Retaining the grease/oil and not showing any indication of burnt on crud (knock on wood). You can kind of see that in the pic after doing a few cooks.

And i will 100% admit it feels more like a better quality smoker. I know that is 100% in my head but something nice about sliding those grates in and out. ha!

Will get back with temps when i have a chance to fire it back up. Too busy this weekI

I would like to be able to do 6-8 racks of ribs at a time for parties, but have always wondered if the ribs on top rack will cook at a different rate from bottom rack! This looks like a perfect setup!

That’s a nice looking setup. I think I might be interested in the Package #3, but I’m not seeing how it’s possible to install the brackets without removing an installed smoke box?

I made test prior/after installation and observed no difference. However, comparing (3) separate Thermoworks Smoke X probes, the Reqtec reading is about 15 degrees higher. There is about a 10 degree higher difference on the middle rack vs. bottom rack. Top and middle racks are about the same. Overall, the temps will be higher as you get towards the smoke stack. The probe side (left hand) is the coolest.
39AC4251-A6AD-433B-B484-7A3533437BC2.jpeg

Hey All,

I made test prior/after installation and observed no difference. However, comparing (3) separate Thermoworks Smoke X probes, the Reqtec reading is about 15 degrees higher. There is about a 10 degree higher difference on the middle rack vs. bottom rack. Top and middle racks are about the same. Overall, the temps will be higher as you get towards the smoke stack. The probe side (left hand) is the coolest. View attachment 17652
Apologies for posting a comment so late in this thread but I just found this posting after hearing about these racks a couple of weeks ago. I have a RT-700. My interest is in being able to have a brisket on a rack with an aluminum pan underneath to provide some moisture to the cook and to keep the bottom of the brisket from drying out. I’ve measured both the full and half aluminum pans from Costco. Close fit using these extra racks.

My intention at this point is to get the “Game Changer” kit but just with the two racks (the big bottom and one upper rack that can go on either upper slot). Even if I use the original grates instead of the bottom shelf I gain 3/4”. This provides a lot of capacity/capability.

From what I gather from reading this thread, though, is the upper shelf runs about 10 degrees hotter. So I’d definitely need to move meat around if I’m doing a big cook. That’s not problematic with the sliding shelves.

I was surprised to hear the unit is hotter closer to the smokestack. Stupid me thought the higher end of the drip tray would’ve made the left side hotter. My ignorance is probably why my first full brisket cook a couple of months ago didn’t go as planned. The flat was towards the smokestack. My planned overnight cook turned into a 3:30am wrapping. Ugh!

Just want to thank y’all for posting stuff relating to my planned rack purchase and installation.

One last thing…have any of you bought and installed Chad’s “grease diverted” for the lid on your Bull?

Will get back with temps when i have a chance to fire it back up. Too busy this week.
How far can you slide each shelf out (with meat on it) before it falls out?

Hey All,

What orange grease cleaner do you use?

How far can you slide each shelf out (with meat on it) before it falls out?
I can now answer my own question as my PCS RackWorks came in and I installed it.

Each shelf/racks come with 2 steel dowels that go in partially drilled holes near the back left and back right corners of each shelf. These are put in after partially sliding in each shelf past the metal flange that’s welded on both the left and right rack mounts for each shelf.

IMG_0992.jpeg

IMG_0993.jpeg

IMG_0995.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back