Sear grates opinions

JTolbert

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
I've been holding off on sear grates for my BFG. I wax wondering what everyone thought are the ones from rectec worth it? They are on sale right now. Are there better ones out there? Like many of you, I usually use my weber kettle for steaks but would like the ease and convenience of the pellet grill. Any feedback appreciated

The sear kit from recteq is made by GrillGrates so I would shop them for where I could get the best deal. As far as the utility, I used them a lot when I cooked on a BGE and also when I cooked on the Bullseye. Frankly, I can’t even remember the last time I used mine because I like my burgers on a flat top and my steaks to get the full flame.

1713019886372.png

I don't have the option of the weber, but I have enjoyed my sear kit. Both sides of the sear kit work great. You can make nice sear marks, as in the picture, or use the flat side to sear the whole steak, or do both by flipping the kit while searing. Some people have pointed out that the grill side that makes the nice marks is not really searing the whole steak, which I agree, but adds to the presentation. I have enjoyed having the option.

I used GrillGrates in my 700 until I got my Bullseye then got them for the Bullseye. I upgraded my Bullseye to a cast iron grate and now don’t use GrillGrates at all. If you want to do it all on the BFG GrillGrates will do all you need.
They have scratch and dent sales regularly. It’s hard to see what’s wrong with them most of the time.

I use mine on my 380X more than my 700. I have a set for both. Haven't used the flat side yet. Probably gonna get rid of the set for the 700. The bullseye is more efficient with pellets at the higher temps than the bull. I put sliced zucchini, onions wrapped in foil, etc, when cooking on the sear grates (mainly steaks, burgers and sometimes leg quarters).

I used GrillGrates in my 700 until I got my Bullseye then got them for the Bullseye. I upgraded my Bullseye to a cast iron grate and now don’t use GrillGrates at all. If you want to do it all on the BFG GrillGrates will do all you need.
They have scratch and dent sales regularly. It’s hard to see what’s wrong with them most of the time.
Yeah I was wondering if there might be something out here in cast iron. But guessing the aluminum gets hotter possibly

I use mine on my 380X more than my 700. I have a set for both. Haven't used the flat side yet. Probably gonna get rid of the set for the 700. The bullseye is more efficient with pellets at the higher temps than the bull. I put sliced zucchini, onions wrapped in foil, etc, when cooking on the sear grates (mainly steaks, burgers and sometimes leg quarters).
Yeah the ol BFG eats the pellets at higher temperatures for sure!

The sear kit from recteq is made by GrillGrates so I would shop them for where I could get the best deal. As far as the utility, I used them a lot when I cooked on a BGE and also when I cooked on the Bullseye. Frankly, I can’t even remember the last time I used mine because I like my burgers on a flat top and my steaks to get the full flame.
Same here. I haven’t used mine since last spring.

Quite frankly, I felt like the higher heat searing steaks made them a bit tough.

Nowadays, I cook my steaks on my RT-700 at 275/300 to 125 degrees F then put a quick sear on my gas grill or my flattop (Grilla Grills Primate). Once, I did the sear on my stovetop (frying pan). Alternately, I’ll simply cook the steaks / burgers at 400 degrees F on my 700 and not worry about a sear. It’s the wood-smoked flavor I’m after. I don’t need the crusty sear. Nor the racecstripes.

I have GGs on my Bull and my gasser. They work well for what they do but should not be used above ~600F. I also have a sear station for my gasser that heats to over 1000F in about 8 minutes and does an outstanding job of searing after a low and slow cook. As an alternate solution I use a griddle that handles some of the more conventional foods. You can actually use a pellet tube and cover on the griddle to get an excellent smoke flavor on your veggies. YMMV.

Grill Grates are over rated. Yeah, I ran them for a few years. But, as someone who uses the grill daily, it is too laborious to keep them clean with that kind of use. When the little holes start getting plugged up, they actually start hindering the cooking.

Instead, I got some cast iron grates:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMZTBT4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

after this upgrade, haven't looked back

Screenshot 2024-04-19 080112.png

Last edited:
Link says those are porcelain coated. Once that fails the grate fails quickly. My Wolf gas grille had porcelain coated iron grates that were great for 3-5 years then failed miserably fast.

I've been holding off on sear grates for my BFG. I wax wondering what everyone thought are the ones from rectec worth it? They are on sale right now. Are there better ones out there? Like many of you, I usually use my weber kettle for steaks but would like the ease and convenience of the pellet grill. Any feedback appreciated
I use the sear plates on my 1100 when I want to cook steaks hot and fast without too much smoke flavor. Work great.

I am considering a Napoleon Grill with infrared burner , that may be the best way to get a quality sear .
The grill cost around $900

Link says those are porcelain coated. Once that fails the grate fails quickly. My Wolf gas grille had porcelain coated iron grates that were great for 3-5 years then failed miserably fast.
yeah, no illusions here ... anything you stick in the grill is not going to last forever .... replacing the cast iron grates every 5 years for $50 is cheap money and no effort

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPBrew
Back