Making Sausage

JJP

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Hunting season is on the way. I haven't been yet, but hopefully I'll be successful this year. I'll be making my own sausage from the grind to the stuffing in the casings. Here's the part I need help with. The smoking and storage of the finished sausage. I saw a video by the Bearded Butchers making summer sausage. They smoked the sausage in a treager until internal temp reached 165 degrees. That is cooked in my book. What do ya'll think?

Smoked sausage IS cooked sausage. It that's not your goal, make the sausage, and then store/freeze until you are ready to cook it (after thawing, of course).

If I make bratwurst (for example), I put it into a vacuum sealer and freeze it or in the fridge if having it in a day or so. If I make Kielbasa (or another smoked sausage), I smoke it, then let it bloom before cooling and vacuum sealing what I will not be using.

I just made summer sausage this last week. Took the IT to 145° held there for 30 mins. Good to go. I don't take it that high anymore.

1635636541728.png

I'm doing my first batch of venison sausage. I was given a few options; the end game was 165 to avoid various health concerns. However, there were apparently a few ways to get there: 1) Smoke to internal 165 and you're done. 2) Smoke to 160, store and cook to at least 165 when preparing meal. Smoke to 165 and immediately immerse in an ice bath to stop cooking process. The reasoning given was that once fully cooked or allowed to internally cook after removal is that it's the "a burger or steak reheated the next day is never as good". So, I think I'll do the 165 followed by the ice bath. Lots of experimenting to do yet. Anyway, just something to chew on...thoughts?

i make alot of summer sausage and snack sticks and normal sausages. for deer i will go to 152 if you are using domestic pork or beef for your fat content. if im making wild pork or bear sausage i will cook it to 165. 165 is guarantees all trichinosis is killed however that high temp will normally cause some of the fat to render inside the case and settle between the case and meat so i will normally skin them before i eat them and wipe the grease off. deer meat is a much safer meat to work with and can be eaten raw so no need to cook it to the point of rendering some of the fat. dont get in a hurry either i would set the grill to 180 and leave it there and for the first 2hrs i would set your temp offset to +25 which will make the grill think its 25 percent hotter than it actually is then at the 2hr mark i would put off set back to 0 or whatever u keep it at so it runs at 180

I just made summer sausage this last week. Took the IT to 145° held there for 30 mins. Good to go. I don't take it that high anymore.
Is this with regular beef or venison. Looking for grill temp and internal for regular meat (Non-venison).

Chart is for Non intacked meat (ground). I was venison/pork just don't take your temp above 180°, it will cause fat out ( not a good thing, did it once 200° rushing to get done) wasted some sausage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back