Liquid Smoke

Never used it, even if it’s just in my head feels like cheating stigmata. Never had a problem getting enough smoke into whatever I’m cooking. Just finished eating a mountain of jerky, recteq smoke only.

I have always questioned the product but it makes me curious. So I’ll add some amount of Liquid smoke into the marinade; for 10% of the batch. It will be a fun blind comparison .
I’ll follow up with the results.

My wife uses it for a number of crockpot recipes. It does work pretty well for that purpose. I have not tried it on anything that was headed for our grills.

Use liquid smoke sparingly.
mashup GIF

I use it in my chili when I’m too lazy to use my smoker, and occasionally in a bourbon drink I make. For the chili it can add a nice flavor profile. Use sparingly in a drink or your next steps will be in the bathroom.

I’ve only used Stubbs or Wright’s liquid smoke products but like anything, if you don’t know what you are doing, it is easier to add than to take it out. An example of this is when I do an 8 quart batch of chili, I only use 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke. It is highly concentrated but the beans and beef absorb it perfectly. YMMV.

Up for discussion.
Do we have any users of Liquid Smoke on jerky, or anything else as far as that goes?
I have always dismissed it but maybe there is some merit to it.
I plan on adding a bit to my next jerky marinade.
https://buyliquidsmoke.com/collections/mesquite
I made the Jerky test batch with Liquid Smoke. I chose Colgin Mesquite.

I chose this brand because of the ingredients. Mellow for sure.

• Liquid smoke ingredients. Water, Natural Mesquite Smoke Flavor, Vinegar, Molasses, Caramel Color.
The recipe (new to me) I found online and made it verbatim, (seen below) Marinating it for 16 hours.
I placed it upon the mesh mats @BigDan recommended.,
Luxshiny BBQ Grill Mesh Mat (amazon)
Thanks Dan.
I use the mats for chicken and shish kabob as well. Easy to get protein off the grill and for jerky, very even cook.

The marinade recipe:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58946/dads-jerky-marinade/

I cut an Eye of round, with the grain. About 1-1/2" -2" wide and 5/16 " thick.
180 degrees on the 590 for 5-6 hours until a bit stiff but bends.
A keeper for the recipe book !

Last edited:
I have been using Colgin liquid smoke in my jerky marinade for 35 years and it adds just that little hint of smoke flavor to the beef. People rave about our beef jerky and are continuously asking us to make it, nice little side hustle.

agreed @Thor8594 .

Just a hint is well explained. I used 1 tsp in about 1-1/2 cups of marinade. Could easily add more.
Mind sharing your recipe ?

I have been using Colgin liquid smoke in my jerky marinade for 35 years and it adds just that little hint of smoke flavor to the beef. People rave about our beef jerky and are continuously asking us to make it, nice little side hustle.
Your people understand Jerky economics? Like pound’o’steak costs X, why are you charging me XX for Jerky?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back