Let me see that tong....

SmokeOCD

thank you for tuning in - I know some of you have that stuck in your head now....

Looking for recommendations for long tongs with some serious grip strength at the end. My current set of long handled tools is fine until I get to a nice big T-bone. Too much flex in it to get a good grip on a steak. Sometimes I go with the griddle spatula or carving station fork. Maybe tong is just the wrong tool to handle something that big, don't know unless I ask.

1000008673.jpg

I use both of the tools suggested above. For fast flipping the pigtail works great, for better control the Weber tongs are tough to beat.

I use both of the tools suggested above. For fast flipping the pigtail works great, for better control the Weber tongs are tough to beat.
Yup, same here for the pigtail. I will add that OXO stuff is some of the best kitchen gear you can buy. I have their tongs. Coated (for nonstick/enameled cast iron) and uncoated for everything else and they are stellar.

My go to are OXO, have 5 in various sizes and end materials. However when I need something more heavy duty I grab the Cousinart BBQ tongs. Unfortunately I can’t find them for sale looking around the internet. You can see the difference in size and the way the teeth? Could grip better compared to a couple of the OXO’s.

IMG_0144.jpeg

I have a number of tongs from various companies. I like the Weber original version with the quick release on the back that can be flipped up and down for one-handed use. For me, one handed use is a basic need for any tong. I also like to check the gripping strength. As many are made of lighter materials, make sure the design can lift/accommodate at least 15-20lbs. That makes lifting a slab or ribs, brisket, or port butt easier. They should also open at least 10” tong to tong (e.g., wide mouth opening) and have the capability to withstand 600F so you can flip a steak as it is searing. YMMV.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back