RHEINLEIN

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
  3. Patio Legend 410
  4. RT-300
Would like to hear best methods for preparing a ham.

Time and temp plus other tips to pull off a good ham .

Seems easy but results seem to vary for me.

I'll be following this thread too :) Will be doing a ham for Thanksgiving, not done one before. At the moment I am looking at this recipe for inspiration. Picking up some Pineapple Head rub later today at Ace. Interested to read any tips and suggestions.
https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/double-smoked-ham/
Also doing two turkey breasts. Hoping with some strategic time and temps I can get them all done on the Deck Boss in time for eating early at 2:00 pm

Does anyone rest a ham? Never purposely rested one, anyway the point is - I was watching Ramsey cook a turkey and he said the most important thing he learned (back when he was 21) was to rest a turkey for as much time as it has been cooked. So, 3hour cook = 3 hour rest. Which is plenty of time for a ham - if you're not resting the ham.

Last edited:
Where I live I use Cooks brand ham. The hams I use are precooke. Use about a 7 1/2 lb -8lb ham at 235° to 245° for about 3hr. No more than 4hrs. Cook to about 150° – 155°. Cook flat side down, glaze imediately after taking off.

The glaze we like goes like this,
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/8 cup mustard
1/8 cup Apple cider vinegar
you might want to to adjust the amount it goes a long way for us!

hope it works out well for you,
Happy holidays, everyone!

Does anyone rest a ham? Never purposely rested one, anyway the point is - I was watching Ramsey cook a turkey and he said the most important thing he learned (back when he was 21) was to rest a turkey for as much time as it has been cooked. So, 3hour cook = 3 hour rest. Which is plenty of time for a ham - if you're not resting the ham.

Never rested a turkey breast longer than 30 minutes, meat is always so juicy it's hard to slice at times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back