Bull I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times...

I think pellets do matter, especially if the 3 rpm auger motor is installed on the RT-700. Low & slow smokes with the RT Competition pellets have no issues, but yesterday with Kingsford Hickory Pellets on a warm day, I had 2 flameouts during a 13 hr cook. The Bull handled it OK, but with more temp fluctuation than would be expected. However, I never had a flameout with the competition pellets to compare.

I will be out of my initial order of pellets soon. I love the RT ultimate blend, the Kingsford seems to have a little more ash.
Has anyone used Traeger brand pellets? I only ask as our local Home Depot carries a ton of them.
I need to get serious and find a brand we are happy with or take a trip to Evans!

I will be out of my initial order of pellets soon. I love the RT ultimate blend, the Kingsford seems to have a little more ash.
Has anyone used Traeger brand pellets? I only ask as our local Home Depot carries a ton of them.
I need to get serious and find a brand we are happy with or take a trip to Evans!
I have some Traeger pecan & mesquite pellets, but haven't used them yet. I plan to use the mesquite pellets for a brisket cook in a week or 2, so I'll report afterwards.

My store was out of the $5 bags, but Lowes.com let me ship to store. I ordered 5 since I already had 5 bags of Lumberjack. They came in boxes to the store yesterday. Got the boxes home and I had 7 bags inside of 5 boxes. Counting is hard.
I have to look into this.
I just paid $20.00 per 20lb bag of Kingsford Classic pellets at my Lowe’s.

Was looking at this earlier as well.
They only have 5 lb bags for $5
Or am I missing something?
There was a closeout deal on the Lowes website & app. Looks they're all gone and back to regular prices. If you're keen to try Kingsford, I think I saw some flavors on sale on Home Depot's website. Just not as cheap as the Lowes deal.

I am on my second bag of Pit Boss Comp blend from Lowe's. The first bag was older from my other grill and could not get it the grill above 410ish. I chocked it up to they were old. But I just got another bag from Lowe's this past weekend. Same dead-end at 410-413ish. Anybody else have that issue with Pit Boss? I haven't tried any other brands yet to compare.

I have found the Pit Boss put out a lot of ash. I like the Trager pellets, and when I can find them, the Kingsford, but those are hard to come across.

I am on my second bag of Pit Boss Comp blend from Lowe's. The first bag was older from my other grill and could not get it the grill above 410ish. I chocked it up to they were old. But I just got another bag from Lowe's this past weekend. Same dead-end at 410-413ish. Anybody else have that issue with Pit Boss? I haven't tried any other brands yet to compare.
I picked up 2 bags of Pit Boss comp blend at WalMart. They were on clearance for $11 a bag cause they had been ripped open, but still had most of the pellets. No issues getting to 500, but there was a ton of sawdust in the bag. Not sure how old the are, but they get to any temp no problem for me. As previously mentioned, they do seem to put out more ash.

but does the pellet brand you use make a big difference? I ordered some Lumber Jack Comp Blend off Amazon to get started. I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to these pellet smokers...You would think recteq would throw in a bag at this price point. :cool:
To me, no real brand diff for the same flavor label but there can be a heat diff. Some just have more wood energy I feel and I get hotter out of them. But it’s not much of a difference. Just focus on your seasonings. That’s a much bigger difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back