I am new to pellet grills, which is the best one?

jnikala

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Please give me some recommendations for finding a best pellet grill. Currently, I use a gas grill quite a bit, but I'm looking for a medium-sized pellet grill (preferably under 40" wide so it can be used on the deck). I am waiting for recommendations from you guys.

Please give me some recommendations for finding a best pellet grill. Currently, I use a gas grill quite a bit, but I'm looking for a medium-sized pellet grill (preferably under 40" wide so it can be used on the deck). I am waiting for recommendations from you guys.
This looks nice.
Grill

Love my 590. It’s plenty of grill space for my empty nest, and sufficient when the kids come back to visit.

If money is no object I’d get a Yoder.

Last edited:
I have a 590 and a Bullseye, love them both use the Bullseye 2-3 times a week and the 590 once a week. I have been through quite a few grills, gas, charcoal, BGE and the RecTeq pellet grill is the best and easiest I have ever had. I love grilling now!

Recteq or Pitts and Spitts.

Your target price would help us, help you, so we can recommend specific grills.

Last edited:
Maybe a different view.. DON'T get a Traeger!

Too many choices but being here you are in the right place for input with the experience from all. RecTeq is nice but if you are looking for all out look into some of the above suggestions.

RecTeq will serve you fine with little stress, decent price point and a long warranty. Which model is a personal preference based on needs. They pretty much all work the same aside from the Bullseye. Get it and forget it... well sort of, until the mod fever settles in along with the addiction.

I really like my RT 590, the size is just right for me,about the same size as a regular gas grill,and holds plenty.

Lot of happy people with Camp Chef units . Was on my short list
$$$ may be a determining factor which route you decide. More money doesn't produce any better food than the lower end outfits. It may just make it easier and more set it forget it and a few higher end parts.

Lot of happy people with Camp Chef units . Was on my short list
$$$ may be a determining factor which route you decide. More money doesn't produce any better food than the lower end outfits. It may just make it easier and more set it forget it and a few higher end parts.

Yeah, I also took a long look at Camp Chef, but after doing a few weeks of reviews, etc. I think the RT's are better built units with better materials than CC.

I also looked a Yoder (prone to rusting). What I really wanted was a Pitts and Spitts but decided I didn't really want to spend more than I did since I have other hobbies that need funding too. ;) Of course, now I am kind of kicking myself in the ass about it, but I am very happy with the RT.

I'm still debating the Pitts and Spitts decision and may have to go that route eventually. If you have $2200 to spend on a grill, I would recommend you take a serious look at them.

Last edited:
First of all, RecTeq has some of the best products and definitely the best customer service! Hands down! I had my RT-680 for many years and have slightly downsized to the 380 Bullseye since retiring. You need to decide the volume of foods you want to smoke at a given time to determine which size is best for you. Regardless, you won’t go wrong with a RecTeq. 4 of my neighbors now have one after seeing my RecTeq.

I'm still debating the Pitts and Spitts decision and may have to go that route eventually. If you have $2200 to spend on a grill, I would recommend you take a serious look at them.
That extra grand buys quite a bit of other proteins ;)

That extra grand buys quite a bit of other proteins ;)

Yeah, but the P&S 1250 is a much higher quality product than the RT's. Body is 7 gauge steel (3/16"), as is the heat deflector, they use 304 Marine Grade stainless steel, etc. I think the other parts are 10 gauge.

Note: If you really want to drop some coin, they will make the entire grill for you out of 304 stainless. Add about $1K to the price. :oops:

Rec Teq uses some 304 (fire pot and racks), but the rest is 430. Easy to check. 304 is not magnetic, 430 is.

If it matters to you, all P&S grills are made in the US.

Anyway, happy with the Bull, but still might pull the trigger on the P&S in the next year.

Last edited:
I still have not made up my mind yet either. I was waiting for labor day sales then decide. 700 is what I was thinking after reading a ton of reviews here and YouTube. Also considering Pitts and spitts but they are raising their prices tomorrow. Lone star grilz looks Good to...That wait is unknown. So are the reviews. I know this place is great if I need some help And warranty Is great.

I researched pellet smokers for two years. The market upgraded so fast I could barely keep up. I ultimately settled on my RT-700 because of the features for the price point and the 6 year warranty. I have been totally satisfied in the 2.5 years of ownership.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back