Trailblazer HELP! I am a brand new user of pellet grills

Someone, earlier in this post suggested that you start out by keeping things simple. Good advise. I have had my 340 for about a year and have learned quite a few things that make my relationship with the pellet grill a happy one. Here are a few tips from my personal experiences.

Chicken, particularly spatchcocked whole chicken is easy to prepare and cook. My results have always been excellent. Make this one of your first cooks.

It is hard to go wrong with seasonings. There is really no right answer when it comes to seasonings and rubs but just about everything you cook on a smoker will taste better if it is well seasoned. There are many commercial seasonings that you can buy but I have found that making my own all-purpose blend is a better way to go for me. Start with a mix of onion powder, granulated garlic powder, pepper, salt and paprika. If you want some sweetness, add sugar. If you want heat, add chili power. There hare thousands of recipes online. Learn what dry-brining is and when to use this method. You will not regret it.

Keep your smoker clean. RecTeq products look as great as they cook. Every couple of cooks, I clean mine inside and out. Doing this regularly makes the job much easier. Soap, water and Barkeeper's Friend along with a sponge and some microfiber towels are great tools for keeping the exterior looking great. Inside, you should clean the grate regularly using a stainless steel scrubber, soap and water. I have repurposed a 2' x 3' plastic cement mixing tray to first soak and then clean my grill grate and drip tray. It makes the job much easier. Remember to clean the burn pot from time to time. Ash buildup can cause a host of problems. I use a Home Depot Bucket Head vacuum for this job.

Pellet smokers are versatile but they are not be best tool for every outdoor cooking adventure. I purchased a set of Grill Grates for my gas BBQ with the intention of using them on the smoker from time to time. This product made me love my gas grill again. I use the grill a little more often than the smoker these days, mainly for things like burgers, chicken breasts, fish and veggies. It is a quicker and easier tool for these types of foods. I have never moved the Grill Grates to the smoker. No need to do so.

Finally, as a newbie, I found the RecTeq user community and the company's technical support staff to be incredibly helpful as I gained experience with my pellet smoker. Every one of us were newbies once. No one will judge you and most will go out of their way to provide guidance.

Have fun.

Hey all! I am 69 years old and have just bought my first pellet grill (Stampede). I have not yet used it, nor even done the burn in yet. As I look at all the info out there, I am terrified about how to even get started. Can anyone give me tips on how to get started, and how to use my Stampede not only for long smokes, but also as a grill for quick cooking hamburgers, steaks, chicken, etc.? It look beautiful and awesome, but I need some simple, basic tips to get it into production for my wife and I.
A very simple thing to start with is a Beef Fillet. I preheat the grill to 425 and season the fillet with a special rub I use, you could use just salt and pepper to start. Place a probe into the fillet. Put it on the grill and cook it to however you like them. I usually cook to 145 degrees which on my grill is a perfect med rare. That is about as simple as it is. Do the same thing with hamburgers. These grills are very friendly to work with. Once you get familiar with the grill you will be fascinated of the great food you can cook. Good luck.

Jimmy you are going to be a pro in no time at all. You already did the first thing right by buying the Rec-Teq and the grill grates. The grill grates work great for hamburgers and steak. The biggest mistake I made at first was trying to smoke everything. The grill is so versatile you can smoke, bake, and grill sometimes in the same cook. If I have one word of advice for you it is that on low and slow cooks go by the inside temp of the meat not the time on the grill. 140 to 160 for the wrap and over 200 for the final breakdown for at least 20 minutes

Welcome Jimmy! As you can see by the number of responses you have received, this forum will become a great resource for you as you become familiar with your grill.

Don't be shy about asking questions. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, but we all have the desire to help out our fellow smokers!

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I have cooked (reverse-seared) steak and can say both times they wer the best we've ever had anywhere! Chalk up two wins!
I'm sure that there will plenty more wins in your future (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back