Trailblazer HELP! I am a brand new user of pellet grills

JimmyEngland

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Hey all! I am 69 years old and have just bought my first pellet grill (Stampede). I have not yet used it, nor even done the burn in yet. As I look at all the info out there, I am terrified about how to even get started. Can anyone give me tips on how to get started, and how to use my Stampede not only for long smokes, but also as a grill for quick cooking hamburgers, steaks, chicken, etc.? It look beautiful and awesome, but I need some simple, basic tips to get it into production for my wife and I.

First, welcome to the club. You're going to love it. Second, just jump in, keep it simple to start, and ask for help along the way. The good, folks here will be glad to help. A good place to start is with the recipes from the Recteq app. They are all specifically tailored to cooking on your grill. Just follow the directions and enjoy the outcome.

Hey all! I am 69 years old and have just bought my first pellet grill (Stampede). I have not yet used it, nor even done the burn in yet. As I look at all the info out there, I am terrified about how to even get started. Can anyone give me tips on how to get started, and how to use my Stampede not only for long smokes, but also as a grill for quick cooking hamburgers, steaks, chicken, etc.? It look beautiful and awesome, but I need some simple, basic tips to get it into production for my wife and I.
Congratulations and welcome to the world of pellet grills. Lots of YouTube videos to help you along.

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm excited to learn how to become a pro, but I just need to get started! I will rely on the Rec-Teq site for recipes and tips first. Meat is way too expensive to ruin because I don't know what I'm doing! :) I'm looking forward to posting a "win" on this forum. Thanks again to all of you.

The recteq recipes and videos would indeed be a good place to start. For the most part, anything you see there recipe/technique wise for all the lifestyle grills (RT-2500, 1250, 700, 340) will apply to your grill also. Welcome!

The recteq recipes and videos would indeed be a good place to start. For the most part, anything you see there recipe/technique wise for all the lifestyle grills (RT-2500, 1250, 700, 340) will apply to your grill also. Welcome!
Thank you... baby steps now at this point!

First things first, follow Recteq’s instructions for the burn-in. If you need an extension cord, find the heaviest gauge cord you can find.
Also, many in this forum will advise to put an empty spaghetti sauce jar (or Ball canning jar) in the drip bucket. It’s easier to collect fat in the jar than to clean out the bucket.
After the burn-in, line your drip tray with foil. It’s a heck of a lot easier to dispose of the foil after a few cooks than to try to clean that drip tray.
Good luck!

First things first, follow Recteq’s instructions for the burn-in. If you need an extension cord, find the heaviest gauge cord you can find.
Also, many in this forum will advise to put an empty spaghetti sauce jar (or Ball canning jar) in the drip bucket. It’s easier to collect fat in the jar than to clean out the bucket.
After the burn-in, line your drip tray with foil. It’s a heck of a lot easier to dispose of the foil after a few cooks than to try to clean that drip tray.
Good luck!
Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm excited to learn how to become a pro, but I just need to get started! I will rely on the Rec-Teq site for recipes and tips first. Meat is way too expensive to ruin because I don't know what I'm doing! :) I'm looking forward to posting a "win" on this forum. Thanks again to all of you.

Some of the RT recipes are kind of labor intensive, or feature their rubs. There are TONS of pellet grill recipes on the internet, and/or if you are a long time charcoal grill type person......MOST, if not all, of your favorite recipes will carry over. You'll just have better control on the temps.

Note: Searing meat is better done else where. While it is possible to get a slight sear on meat, many of us use another grill (gas, charcoal, etc.) to actually get a sear.

Grill Grates (google it) do work, but your mileage may vary.

Ditto to all of the above! We have started using the RT-590 as our primary oven! meatloaf, pizza, cornbread, chicken fettuccini. stuffed bell peppers, smoked cream cheese, lasagna, and on and on!! (today's example:)

Attachments

• smoked_pepper-.jpg
    smoked_pepper-.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
Welcome Jimmy,

I also have a 590 replaced a high end Weber and Also a high end commercial grade electric smoker.

Been using for the last 18 months and love it. As JGW said to get a real sear and a better product for steaks, chicken and burgers, I would order the GrillGrates. Recteq sells three panels that are 19.5 inches long. When the grill is set on max 500 degrees, the grates will give you another 100+ degrees and the flavor they add is worth the extra money.

Check out the video to learn more:

Greg

Jimmy, welcome. I bought my RecTeq a little less than a year ago and I love it. It is the easiest grill I have ever used and every cook has been great!

It has been a great hobby with delicious benefits!

I too at first was a little overwhelmed and I agree with what has been already said. I would just add keep it simple. I started slow, burgers, chicken, then steak, ribs. I cooked my first brisket this spring. It came out great. I cook something every week.

Each successful cook will build confidence and even when I think I have messed up, it is still good, I have just raised my bar!

There are a ton of recipes and advice on this forum, the RT site and the Grillgrate site. Enough to get you going. I also watch youtube videos on pellet grilling as well.

There are tons of gadgets too, again, keep it simple, the grill, grill grates, gloves and a good thermometer should be enough to get you going. Since it is just my wife and I we also have a food saver for leftovers.

Again welcome and dive in!

I would suggest purchasing a digital thermometer (4 probe preferably). Lot of good ones out there, Inkbird, Thermoworks, etc. Can easily determine hotspots and if your grill is actually running at the set temp. May need a little tweaking ??? Congrats. . .

Ditto.

You can also do the biscuit test to check for hot spots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back