Stampede I am about to buy the RT-590 and have a few questions.

option8

The grill brush is out of stock, but I can find one elsewhere. I am getting the large grill pad at the bottom, sear kit, pellet deal, rt-590, and a few rubs. The one question I have is about power. My external power outlets are not configured in my house. We are getting our basement done so that might be a while getting that turned on. So would a 25 foot external power cable being ran from my basement to my 2nd level deck be an issue? I have to plug in my house and run it outside for the time being. Any issues? Thanks for any help. I purchased a cheaper cover from amazon. I am buying their mesh cooking mat and I need to find a good option for a griddle and pizza pan as well. Thanks to this site I decided on getting Recteq. Thanks to everyone who gave me some feedback earlier.

The grill brush is out of stock, but I can find one elsewhere. I am getting the large grill pad at the bottom, sear kit, pellet deal, rt-590, and a few rubs. The one question I have is about power. My external power outlets are not configured in my house. We are getting our basement done so that might be a while getting that turned on. So would a 25 foot external power cable being ran from my basement to my 2nd level deck be an issue? I have to plug in my house and run it outside for the time being. Any issues? Thanks for any help. I purchased a cheaper cover from amazon. I am buying their mesh cooking mat and I need to find a good option for a griddle and pizza pan as well. Thanks to this site I decided on getting Recteq. Thanks to everyone who gave me some feedback earlier.
Power draw is minimal. Ground fault outlet preferred but a minimum of a grounded three prong outlet.

The grill brush, mesh cooking mats and pad can be found all over the internet. Check prices before you order from Rec Teq. If you want the logo on the pad you have to go through them.

Rec Teq pellets are really good and I agree you should start on them, if for no other reason than it eliminates one variable for customer service if you have any issues when you first use the grill. Depending on where you live there are a lot of local sources for pellets that you should be able to get for around 50 cents a pound (or less on sale).

Folks here do pizzas on all kinds of pans, ovens and grates. We use THIS one but there are lots of ways to do a pizza.

I don’t have any experience with a griddle on a pellet grill but there are some good threads on that on this forum. You should read them before buying.

@Psycho covered the electrical.

Good Luck, you are going to enjoy your Stampede!

They pull less than 5amps. A good grounded 12 awg. cord should be fine as long as you’re not running over 100 feet. Congratulations on your new smoker. I just did my first cook on my new RT-1250. Everything worked perfectly even the WiFi and app. Cooked some chicken thighs and they turned out really good. They are tender, juicy and the skin was crispy. I didn’t have seer them. I cooked at 200 for one hour then 250 for about an hour and a half to 160 internal temperature and then turned it up to 400 for about ten minutes to hit 170 internal. Pulled off the smoker and let rest about 10 minutes.

Power draw is minimal. Ground fault outlet preferred but a minimum of a grounded three prong outlet.
thanks.. the recteq support guy Daniel said that they don't recommend extension cords, but that is the only way I can use the grill. Thanks so much for your help.

The grill brush, mesh cooking mats and pad can be found all over the internet. Check prices before you order from Rec Teq. If you want the logo on the pad you have to go through them.

Rec Teq pellets are really good and I agree you should start on them, if for no other reason than it eliminates one variable for customer service if you have any issues when you first use the grill. Depending on where you live there are a lot of local sources for pellets that you should be able to get for around 50 cents a pound (or less on sale).

Folks here do pizzas on all kinds of pans, ovens and grates. We use THIS one but there are lots of ways to do a pizza.

I don’t have any experience with a griddle on a pellet grill but there are some good threads on that on this forum. You should read them before buying.

@Psycho covered the electrical.

Good Luck, you are going to enjoy your Stampede!
Do you have a cooking mat and pad you recommend by chance?

They pull less than 5amps. A good grounded 12 awg. cord should be fine as long as you’re not running over 100 feet. Congratulations on your new smoker. I just did my first cook on my new RT-1250. Everything worked perfectly even the WiFi and app. Cooked some chicken thighs and they turned out really good. They are tender, juicy and the skin was crispy. I didn’t have seer them. I cooked at 200 for one hour then 250 for about an hour and a half to 160 internal temperature and then turned it up to 400 for about ten minutes to hit 170 internal. Pulled off the smoker and let rest about 10 minutes.

Yeah I can't wait.. I just wanted to make sure my electric would work. As I mentioned above the recteq guy said they didn't recommend using an extension cord, but I have to so it is what it is.

thanks.. the recteq support guy Daniel said that they don't recommend extension cords, but that is the only way I can use the grill. Thanks so much for your help.
Well that is a new one! I bet 90% of us use an extension cord. I use a 15 foot 12AWG to a good outdoor plug.

@option8 I bought THIS one but it was for a RT700. You might be able to find a smaller, less expensive option for the Stampede.

Do you have a cooking mat and pad you recommend by chance?
I purchased the premium pad from recteq. Part#RT-LGPAD $59.98. It’s really high quality and has the recteq logo branded into the surface with red paint. It’s easy to clean and looks like it will last a long time.

Yeah I can't wait.. I just wanted to make sure my electric would work. As I mentioned above the recteq guy said they didn't recommend using an extension cord, but I have to so it is what it is.
That's a CYA statement for RT in case someone uses a lamp extension cord.

If you use a 12 or 14 gauge extension cord, there will be no issues. Any 50 foot 14 gauge cord will handle loads between 10-15 amps. If you need something longer, use a 12 gauge cord. A 50-100 foot 12 gauge cord will handle between 10-15 amps.

I'm not sure what the actual power draw on the grill is, but since they say use a 110v GFI, that socket cannot handle more than 15 amps without blowing the breaker.

Yes, a decent outdoor three prong extension cord works just fine. I have had my 1250 hooked up that way since day 1 to put some distance between grandkids and a hot smoker.

I ran my 700 on a 100 ft 14ga cord without any issues. Startup will be the biggest power draw, mainly from the ignitor and auger running at the same time. Once the ignitor drops off after a few minutes, the power draw drops to just sustaining the electronics and intermittant auger motor.

Last edited:
I have been using an outdoor heavy gauge extension cord since I bought my 590 and Bullseye! I don't see how it would work any other way, I would not want the grill that close to the house! Just use common sense! My outlets are also GFCI.

I would definitely get the RT pellets I love them, they will last you a while.

I did get the cover and pad from RT, but HomeDepot has a pad in the carpet department alot cheaper and looks fine! Might even want a larger pad than the one at RT, so I would check HD or Lowes for a pad. The cover from RT is well made and I think worth it, so I would get that.

Again, check GrillGrates for the bush and grates I think they are having some sales now.

I would not use the griddle from RT, I tried it is heavy and bulky, I wrestled with that as well and bought a Blackstone, I just realized you cant do it all on one grill. That is why I now have 3! Each one does what they do well and I don't get frustrated trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Maybe I am just getting old.

Last edited:
i'm currently running a 25' extension til get power on my deck. No issues

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back