Stampede Pizza Oven Attachment GMG Model 4023 for the RT-590 is a must buy.

Gotcha

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have been making pizzas for over 30 years and I must say I am totally impressed with the GMG pizza oven attachment.

After a lot of research I purchased an open box pizza oven from esesstove on Ebay. They had really good reviews and have sold over 220 ovens online. The shipping was super fast and I received it in just two days via UPS. While the box was a bit beat up, the pizza oven was brand new and in perfect shape.

Before baking a couple of pies, I heated the oven up to 600 degrees, allowed it to cool and repeated the process.

Last night I made a Canadian bacon and sauerkraut and pepperoni, sausage and onion pizza (9" pies from 16 oz dough ball).

Preheated the grill to 350 degrees for 40 minutes (outside temp was 60 degrees) with the lid shut. My only concern was if the stone was 600 degrees how hot would the grill get. But the stone absorbed the heat, the grill temp was around 350 degrees.

Rear temp of the oven was 600 degrees the front around 535 degrees. Put the first pie in, closed the lid for 90 seconds, open the lid and rotated the pizza every 30-45 seconds, closing the lid between turns.

First pizza was done in about 7 minutes and 20 seconds, the second pie finished right at 7 minutes.

As you can see by the photos the pizzas bakes perfect on the top and the bottom and the taste was excellent.

I may bump the heat up next time, but my wife said don't change a thing.

The only con is you have to remove everything from the grill to insert the pizza oven, but for $90.00 I can live with that.

Best Greg

Attachments

• 1A.jpg
    1A.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 580
  • 2 pizza stone in grill.jpg
    2 pizza stone in grill.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 323
  • 3 pepp sausage onions ready to go.jpg
    3 pepp sausage onions ready to go.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 316
  • 4 kraut pizza.jpg
    4 kraut pizza.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 5 pepp sausage pizza in oven.jpg
    5 pepp sausage pizza in oven.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 6 pepp finished pizza.jpg
    6 pepp finished pizza.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 301
  • CS Pizza.jpg
    CS Pizza.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 292
  • 7 bottom pizza.jpg
    7 bottom pizza.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 8 oven broken in.jpg
    8 oven broken in.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Had you ever done a pizza on a stone in the 590 prior ? I never have, just curious what the big difference would be ?

Yes I have used a stone before, it works, but the top did not cook as well.

Looks great from here :love:!!

Did you make the dough yourself? I have yet to fire mine but looking like Sunday.. ashamed to admit it will likely be with pre-made pies this time around.

I dough recipe and sauce I have created and refined over the years is really good.
But to be honest for this bake, I used Kroger 16 oz ready to bake pizza dough.

I would rate Kroger's Grocery Store ( and they own other stores that are part of the chain) pizza dough 16 oz for $2.49 the best, followed by Trader Joe's and then Publix.

Also if you have a local pizza joint many times they will sell you their dough for $3.00 or less.

If you are looking for excellent pizza sauce, Botticelli Marinara (comes from Italy) very basic, much like my sauce. The next runner up would be Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce, both can be found in your local grocery stores.

Best Greg

I dough recipe and sauce I have created and refined over the years is really good.
But to be honest for this bake, I used Kroger 16 oz ready to bake pizza dough.

I would rate Kroger's Grocery Store ( and they own other stores that are part of the chain) pizza dough 16 oz for $2.49 the best, followed by Trader Joe's and then Publix.

Also if you have a local pizza joint many times they will sell you their dough for $3.00 or less.

If you are looking for excellent pizza sauce, Botticelli Marinara (comes from Italy) very basic, much like my sauce. The next runner up would be Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce, both can be found in your local grocery stores.

Best Greg

Good stuff..thanks Greg.

Can't wait to give my GMG a go.

Also worth sharing if you are worried about getting the pizza off the peel onto the stone I would suggest cheating!

Instead of building your pie on the peel, build it on a piece of parchment paper a bit larger than the pie. Then just slid the pie and the parchment onto the stone. Yes the parchment paper will start to burn above 450 degrees, now worries. Also the pie to sit on the stone for a minute or so to setup and then pull the paper from under the pie and bake as normal.

When I bake my pizzas indoors I do this every time, other wise the cornmeal or flour will burn and stink up the house!

Another great reason for me with the outdoor pizza oven is, now I bake pies in the summer without heating up the house.

Enjoy Greg

Looks awesome...

I agree, the GMG pizza oven is impressive and make the 590 even more versatile.
Did it fit your 590 well or did you need to do something with the 4 tabs, I used some plate steel under the tabs, didn't want to bent them.

I've found setting the grill temp to 425 works well for me, 3-4 minutes cook time, though I'm using Antimo Caputo 00 Pizzeria Flour that can handle the higher temps. The stone gets to 800F and I think this hotter temp makes for a puffier airy crust.

I use a wooden peel which sticks less than steel. I sprinkle the peel with semolina flour and corn meal and it slides right off, though if you've been doing pizza for over 30 years, you know all the tricks, but others may not. I've used parchment, but it burns quickly on a 800F stone so I'll use pizza screens when making several pizzas which makes for effortless launches, then after a minute or so, remove the screen and finsih cooking.

IMG_3501.JPG

Last edited:
The oven fit perfect in the 590, I did not need to bend anything.
Wood really is great for putting the pizza in, but harder to get it out. I use Ooni Perforated Pizza Peel, it works great to put the pizza and and take out.

Your pizza looks great, what do you use for the sausage?
Since this was the first run I was going to go with 300 degrees, but the stone only reached 480 degrees, so I went with 350.

Plan to increase the heat in the next few batches.
Best Greg

For turning the pizza you can use a peel, but for $15.00 I bought 21" spatula off of Amazon. It is sold by New Star Foodservice also worked great for smash burgers!

Greg

Attachments

• spatula.jpg
    spatula.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 112
Looks fantastic! I bought one about a month ago, but haven't used it yet.

Let me ask, are you building the pizza with sauce and toppings on the rolled out dough then placing on the pizza stone for a 2-3 minute bake or are you placing the dough on the stone first baking for a minute or 2 then placing the toppings on the partially baked dough?

I've had my eye on one of these since I learned that fit my previous GMG Daniel Boone. Shortly after that I bought my RT-590 and thought I had to give up my dream to add one of these. I was happy to discover you could drop one of these on it.

Sadly, I'm in a holding patter for additions and modifications to my RT-590 until 1) they can get this app functional as advertised or 2) I can find another offering that meets my criteria at a price I'm comfortable with.

As soon as either one of those happens I'm all in on one of these and ready to crank out some delicious pies!

For turning the pizza you can use a peel, but for $15.00 I bought 21" spatula off of Amazon. It is sold by New Star Foodservice also worked great for smash burgers!

Greg
The oven fit perfect in the 590, I did not need to bend anything.
Wood really is great for putting the pizza in, but harder to get it out. I use Ooni Perforated Pizza Peel, it works great to put the pizza and and take out.

Your pizza looks great, what do you use for the sausage?
Since this was the first run I was going to go with 300 degrees, but the stone only reached 480 degrees, so I went with 350.

Plan to increase the heat in the next few batches.
Best Greg

Good point, for tuning/removing pizzas, I use a stainless peel that came with pizza stone I bought ages ago.

The meat is not sausage, but pulled pork, gives a great flavor and I always have some in the freezer.

My tabs sat ~1/8" higher than the flanges on the grill so I had to add some spacers. I've read other had the same gap. There must be some difference in either your pizza oven or grill. Curious, do you have one of new grills with the louvered vents?

I too started with a lower temp as per the GMG directions, but found the stone did not get as hot enough so started cranking it up and settled on 425 for the type flour I'm using. I noticed other dough (.i.e. trader joes, grocery store, etc...) I need to lower the temp to say 350-375 or the bottom will burn. I much prefer to make my own dough since it comes out more airy and not dense like store bought.

peel.jpg

I've had my eye on one of these since I learned that fit my previous GMG Daniel Boone. Shortly after that I bought my RT-590 and thought I had to give up my dream to add one of these. I was happy to discover you could drop one of these on it.

Sadly, I'm in a holding patter for additions and modifications to my RT-590 until 1) they can get this app functional as advertised or 2) I can find another offering that meets my criteria at a price I'm comfortable with.

As soon as either one of those happens I'm all in on one of these and ready to crank out some delicious pies!
If you’re so unhappy with your RT-590 why haven’t you sold it? I just sold my RT-1250 and made back most of my money.

If you’re so unhappy with your RT-590 why haven’t you sold it? I just sold my RT-1250 and made back most of my money.
This isn't the thread to discuss this but, as I've already said in the post you quoted, if I find something that meets my criteria before they fix their app... it's gone.

I ordered one of these from the eBay site and the stone came broken. I reached out to them and I have a new stone arriving tomorrow, at no cost to me!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back