Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
So, not a recteq grilling thread, but since much of the end product of this post eventually ends up on a recteq, I thought y’all might enjoy it. As background, I’m a farm boy at heart. Born and raised on a farm on the edge of Southern Appalachia, growing stuff has long been a part of my life. God willing, my mother will turn 95 later this month and she still lives on the 450 acres of our family farm. Most of my career involved agriculture in one form or another. All true, but that’s the end of my attempt to story-tell like Wendell Berry (a Kentucky legend), on the the post!

I have been so blessed this year with how my garden is looking that I thought I’d post some pictures. The garden is mostly contained in 8, 4 by 8 raised beds, with two additional beds that will go in service next year. This is a fairly new move for me-the garden space was 3x as large just a couple of years ago, but none of it was in raised beds. The main beds, from front to back include two tomato beds-one for canning tomatoes and one for heirloom tomatoes. And BTW, all the beds are connected with 4x16 fence panels so that some plants can climb. The tomato beds have 4 varieties of cherry tomatoes for that task.

The next two beds on the left contain 12 different varieties of peppers, from the mild Cubanelle to the fierce hot Carolina Reaper. One of these two beds had sugar snap peas in the spring, the next bed has a black bean (red flowers) that also has matching black beans on the opposing bed. These beans have completely covered the walk space and I’ve grown these more for their beauty and ability to attract pollinators than for the beans themselves. It’s so strange how I can walk and work in these beans while they are loaded with bees and butterflies, and they don’t attempt to fly away or fight. It’s almost like they know I must belong there. Beside these two beds are yellow/orange flowers, not in a raised bed, that I have grown in this spot for many years now for their beauty and also to attract pollinators. I never have to seed them-they are annuals but come back every year from dropped seed.

The last bed on the left contains various squashes as well as 5 Okra plants. Gotta have Okra in Southern Appalachia! Green beans on the fence of this bed, and a small greenhouse on the left that has peppers and tomatoes in it now, but will be seeded with greens and lettuce for the winter.

The remaining beds on the right side contain an assortment of items-parsley, tomatillos, chives, onions, radishes, Mexican cucumbers, more of the black beans, space that will be planted to collard greens next month, pickling cucumbers, salad cucumbers, zucchini, summary squash, acorn squash, and spaghetti squash.

I also have a small herb garden beside my outdoor kitchen, with oregano, two types of thyme, rosemary, lavender, sage, and cilantro. I also have a large patch of Kentucky mint that I don’t cook with much, but I love walking beside it dragging a hand through it, and letting the smell fill the air. Also, my wife doesn’t cook but she is an outstanding mixologist, so I benefit from the drinks she makes utilizing the mint! Cheers.
EBD6FF93-88BA-4790-B0F5-DFCC278CC5D4.jpeg
D4FF0B5C-1654-4844-A000-3E2548D54E40.jpeg
E9923456-EDE2-4979-BDB4-5C835168A08B.jpeg

@Greg Jones, thanks for this post. I’m envious!

We are in the process of finding a new home nearer to our family (kids and grandkids) and one of the things I really want to have included is a space for some raised garden beds. Like you, I grew up in a farm environment, though it was in the vineyard country of Northern California. And, yes I do like wine; my dad was cellar master at two of the major wineries in the area when I was growing up.

My grandfather, who came to the US from the Basque Country of Northern Spain, was an avid grower of fruits and vegetables. I can still remember the taste of a tomato fresh from the vine, a carrot just out of the ground, etc. and want to be able to experience that again.

Your “garden” looks great and, as I said, I envy you.

So, not a recteq grilling thread, but since much of the end product of this post eventually ends up on a recteq, I thought y’all might enjoy it. As background, I’m a farm boy at heart. Born and raised on a farm on the edge of Southern Appalachia, growing stuff has long been a part of my life. God willing, my mother will turn 95 later this month and she still lives on the 450 acres of our family farm. Most of my career involved agriculture in one form or another. All true, but that’s the end of my attempt to story-tell like Wendell Berry (a Kentucky legend), on the the post!

I have been so blessed this year with how my garden is looking that I thought I’d post some pictures. The garden is mostly contained in 8, 4 by 8 raised beds, with two additional beds that will go in service next year. This is a fairly new move for me-the garden space was 3x as large just a couple of years ago, but none of it was in raised beds. The main beds, from front to back include two tomato beds-one for canning tomatoes and one for heirloom tomatoes. And BTW, all the beds are connected with 4x16 fence panels so that some plants can climb. The tomato beds have 4 varieties of cherry tomatoes for that task.

The next two beds on the left contain 12 different varieties of peppers, from the mild Cubanelle to the fierce hot Carolina Reaper. One of these two beds had sugar snap peas in the spring, the next bed has a black bean (red flowers) that also has matching black beans on the opposing bed. These beans have completely covered the walk space and I’ve grown these more for their beauty and ability to attract pollinators than for the beans themselves. It’s so strange how I can walk and work in these beans while they are loaded with bees and butterflies, and they don’t attempt to fly away or fight. It’s almost like they know I must belong there. Beside these two beds are yellow/orange flowers, not in a raised bed, that I have grown in this spot for many years now for their beauty and also to attract pollinators. I never have to seed them-they are annuals but come back every year from dropped seed.

The last bed on the left contains various squashes as well as 5 Okra plants. Gotta have Okra in Southern Appalachia! Green beans on the fence of this bed, and a small greenhouse on the left that has peppers and tomatoes in it now, but will be seeded with greens and lettuce for the winter.

The remaining beds on the right side contain an assortment of items-parsley, tomatillos, chives, onions, radishes, Mexican cucumbers, more of the black beans, space that will be planted to collard greens next month, pickling cucumbers, salad cucumbers, zucchini, summary squash, acorn squash, and spaghetti squash.

I also have a small herb garden beside my outdoor kitchen, with oregano, two types of thyme, rosemary, lavender, sage, and cilantro. I also have a large patch of Kentucky mint that I don’t cook with much, but I love walking beside it dragging a hand through it, and letting the smell fill the air. Also, my wife doesn’t cook but she is an outstanding mixologist, so I benefit from the drinks she makes utilizing the mint! Cheers.
View attachment 16787View attachment 16788View attachment 16789
Call me jealous. We moved a few years ago where we had a botanical garden and three large vegetable gardens. My current location is a challenge but we are going raised bed next year.y the tomatoes, peppers, squash and cucumbers. I normally pit up cayanes in a vinger salt to make a tasty hot sauce for greens etc.

Your place looks fantastic! 🍻

@Greg Jones
My grandfather, who came to the US from the Basque Country of Northern Spain, was an avid grower of fruits and vegetables. I can still remember the taste of a tomato fresh from the vine, a carrot just out of the ground, etc. and want to be able to experience that again.
I've been to Zarautz and San Sebastian several times.

I've been to Zarautz and San Sebastian several times.
I know Zarautz and, of course, San Sebastian. My family is from Ea and Bedarona, about 50 Km east of Zarautz and 75 Km East San Sebastian. Beautiful area, right on the coast. I still have family living there that we visit periodically.

Henceforth you shall be known as.... The Spaniard!
Not a chance! “The Basque Country” may be within the borders of northern Spain (and southern France), but Basques are definitely not “Spaniards” nor are they French. Basques have been self-governing since long before Spain or France was a country.

Gora Euskadi! (Long live the Basque Country!)

Thanks for educating me about Basques. Seriously.
Cypriots, in a similar way do not like being called Greeks. Interesting stuff!

Thanks for educating me about Basques. Seriously.
Cypriots, in a similar way do not like being called Greeks. Interesting stuff!
As you can tell, I am proudly Basque. That said, I didn’t take offense at your suggestion that I should be called “Spaniard.” It is a very common thought and I just chuckle as it provides the opportunity to showcase what Basques really are…and, aren’t. ;)

For people who have an interest in ethnicity, the Basques are an interesting study. Genetically, we are descended from the original people of Europe; the Spanish, French, etc. came much later. Our language is called a “language isolate” with no known links to other known languages.

And, our people were world explorers well before Europeans began sending out “explorers.” There is evidence of Basques fishing off the coast of Newfoundland in the early 1300s. Columbus didn’t find his way to the “New World” until the late 1400s. :rolleyes:

I know Zarautz and, of course, San Sebastian. My family is from Ea and Bedarona, about 50 Km east of Zarautz and 75 Km East San Sebastian. Beautiful area, right on the coast. I still have family living there that we visit periodically.
You meant West of...closer to Bilbao...and the Guggenheim ;)

I can understand your interest in grilling foods...all the restaurants I've been to in that region cook on charcoal. My personal favorite is grilled octopus with garlic.
Beautiful area !!

You meant West of...closer to Bilbao...and the Guggenheim ;)

I can understand your interest in grilling foods...all the restaurants I've been to in that region cook on charcoal. My personal favorite is grilled octopus with garlic.
Beautiful area !!
Yes, of course; ”West of…closer to Bilbao.” What was I thinking? One of my cousins lives in Bilbao; a lovely city.

The char-grilled octopus is, indeed, great, as are char-grilled sardines. I love the silky Jamon Iberico and the great variety of Pintxos, along with a glass of Txakoli or Rioja. The Basques love to eat!

View attachment 16787View attachment 16788View attachment 16789
I Might add @Greg Jones it looks a little like heaven and Gods country, I have probably been close in your neck of the woods on a motorcycle and such and some beautiful country for sure.

My garden has given up the ghost with these 112º temps, I will have to wait until September to plant again. I guess 7-8 months of growing is all we can get here.

Greg Jones, it's amazing to hear about your garden and the incredible variety of plants you've cultivated. Even though it's been a year since your post, I hope your garden has contin
2023 was a tough year for the garden as I had other events take up my time and head space. I still had some beautiful tomatoes, peppers, green beans, and squash just the same. Did not can anything this year, which is pretty telling how things went.

2023 was a tough year for the garden as I had other events take up my time and head space. I still had some beautiful tomatoes, peppers, green beans, and squash just the same. Did not can anything this year, which is pretty telling how things went.
I had a really weird year in the garden myself. I start the majority of my plants from seed, but it was tough to get anything going. Then I had quite a few plants, peppers in particular, that grew to about 18” then did nothing until almost September when they finally started growing and flowering. We just had our first hard freeze earlier this week in east cental MO. I had a couple of plants that were loaded with fruit but never produced a ripe pepper. I’ve never had that issue in the past.

Wow, your garden sounds incredible! It's awesome to hear about your connection to farming and how you've transformed your space into a thriving garden. I bet those fresh veggies make your meals extra special. I grow my veggies, too, and I love adding them to my favorite paccheri pasta dish. If you're interested, here's the recipe: https://www.mklibrary.com/paccheri-pasta-with-summer-vegetables/. Keep up the amazing work!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back