Stampede Does your smoker hold temp?

All good stuff here!

In my mind, I liken the "actual" temp of the PID controller to my car's fuel mileage displays.

My car shows "current consumption" (ranging 0-200 mpg) ...depending on my foot.
It also shows "average" consumption based on my trip. (say 38 mpg).

The "average consumption" is how I view the RT "actual" temp.
I know there are obvious temp swings in the process but I do appreciate the "smoothing "aspect of the software putting me at ease that everything is in check.

Maybe part fallacy but I feel good about it !

I decided to do a test cook on my new 1250. I have a fireboard with two ambient probes. Threw one on the top rack right side, the other lower rack left side. If left unchecked, the upper right can vary 15+ degrees from lower left. I'm ok with this. Not many smokers can hold the same temp everywhere. I also don't have a problem with the fireboard temp vs recteq temp. Lies or not, the recteq may show 200 degrees +- one or two degrees while fireboard might show (lower left shelf) 190- 210 (and sometimes a greater variance). The attached file shows (green lower left) and red(upper right). I opened the door a few times during the cook (I also changed the temp avfew times) but overall the recteq temp is not as steady as you might think. (My father-in-law thinks the recteq is unbelievable how steady it holds temp!) Also, adding food does effect the air temp. In conclusion I get it. The fireboard is burning tiny chunks of wood. Temps vary. What if Recteq actually showed us accurate temps? Would we stop buying it? I think Recteq should stop any algorithm and just show actual).

Screenshot_20230810_181420_FireBoard.jpg

Much like you with your FireBoard, I went with a Thermoworks Signals. These devices, created by companies in the business of making calibrated thermometers, are what I follow. I'm not particularly bothered by what Recteq probes have to say. They paint a rosy picture of utter consistency via averaging.

As long as the grill isn't spiking in 25 to 50 degree (or more) swings, I'd say the logic of the PID controller isn't that bad. Certainly no worse than most residential ovens. A 20 degree variance over time in any cooking appliance controlled by a thermostat, PID, or otherwise isn't going to screw up your cook. Those of us that came from stick burners remember the "pucker factor" of adding more wood or screwing with vents while trusting some bi-metal analog thermometer mounted in the lid. These things actually cook pretty decent food while we sleep or do other life activities.

Trust your FireBoard. Don't worry about the Recteq temps, graphs, or notifications (when they happen). For long and slow cooks, temperature variances are part of the process.

I decided to do a test cook on my new 1250. I have a fireboard with two ambient probes. Threw one on the top rack right side, the other lower rack left side. If left unchecked, the upper right can vary 15+ degrees from lower left. I'm ok with this. Not many smokers can hold the same temp everywhere. I also don't have a problem with the fireboard temp vs recteq temp. Lies or not, the recteq may show 200 degrees +- one or two degrees while fireboard might show (lower left shelf) 190- 210 (and sometimes a greater variance). The attached file shows (green lower left) and red(upper right). I opened the door a few times during the cook (I also changed the temp avfew times) but overall the recteq temp is not as steady as you might think. (My father-in-law thinks the recteq is unbelievable how steady it holds temp!) Also, adding food does effect the air temp. In conclusion I get it. The fireboard is burning tiny chunks of wood. Temps vary. What if Recteq actually showed us accurate temps? Would we stop buying it? I think Recteq should stop any algorithm and just show actual).

View attachment 19839
Your hottest points on a smoker with a chimney will always be where the the fire pot is and the chimney exhaust side. Upper will be hotter than lower, etc, etc, etc

As others have stated holding temp is a myth. It's a gimmick.

Your hottest points on a smoker with a chimney will always be where the the fire pot is and the chimney exhaust side. Upper will be hotter than lower, etc, etc, etc

As others have stated holding temp is a myth. It's a gimmick.

How is it a myth or a gimmick? Yes there are temp swings, however most the cooking time is overall pretty damn consistent temp wise........"from my experience". You are however correct in there being hotter/cooler sections of the grill, but doubt it's much of a difference maker in the long cooks.

How is it a myth or a gimmick? Yes there are temp swings, however most the cooking time is overall pretty damn consistent temp wise........"from my experience". You are however correct in there being hotter/cooler sections of the grill, but doubt it's much of a difference maker in the long cooks.
Just that, RT doesn't hold temp better or worse than any others out there. It's just data manipulation from the controller. Plenty of posts in this thread and others. I'll never understand the people get fixated on this. It's all made up. Swings/variations happen all of the time, it's just a matter of if your instrument gauge is tuned/sensitive enough to show this.

And hotter sections make a huge difference in longer cooks, that's why you should rotate. Best way to ID hot spots is to line your grills with white bread or tortillas. You'll be amazed.

Last edited:
How is it a myth or a gimmick?
The first post in this thread is proof of the myth or gimmick! People actually believe that a recteq runs consistently at the set temperature because that is what the controller reports to them. The reality is that is not accurate, as has been proven by the graphs of third party probes that report what is actually occurring in the pit.

Much like you with your FireBoard, I went with a Thermoworks Signals. These devices, created by companies in the business of making calibrated thermometers, are what I follow. I'm not particularly bothered by what Recteq probes have to say. They paint a rosy picture of utter consistency via averaging.

As long as the grill isn't spiking in 25 to 50 degree (or more) swings, I'd say the logic of the PID controller isn't that bad. Certainly no worse than most residential ovens. A 20 degree variance over time in any cooking appliance controlled by a thermostat, PID, or otherwise isn't going to screw up your cook. Those of us that came from stick burners remember the "pucker factor" of adding more wood or screwing with vents while trusting some bi-metal analog thermometer mounted in the lid. These things actually cook pretty decent food while we sleep or do other life activities.

Trust your FireBoard. Don't worry about the Recteq temps, graphs, or notifications (when they happen). For long and slow cooks, temperature variances are part of the process.
Pretty much This. :)

When I first got my 700/Bull, I was all concerned about it "holding temp".

So, I bought a Thermoworks "Signals" because I started to distrust the RT probes/temp indications. I started using the Signals unit, comparing it to the RT barrel probe temp. What I found is that once up to temp/settled in, the 700 maintains +/- 2 degrees or so, compared to the "Signals" unit. There are definitely discrepancies (+/- 15 or 20 degrees) between the two when the 700 is either ramping up or ramping down from one setting to another. But, that's not really "cook time", or at least not "cook time" that I'm very concerned about.

I've been very happy with the Signals unit (thanks @Jim6820). But, knowing what I know now, would I be able to get by with the RT probes ? Yep. Conversely, it's nice to have two unique temp monitors, essentially sitting side by side. You look at both, they both agree (within +/- 2 degrees) and it's time to go crack another cold, refreshing beverage.

I've been very happy with the Signals unit (thanks @Jim6820). But, knowing what I know now, would I be able to get by with the RT probes ? Yep. Conversely, it's nice to have two unique temp monitors, essentially sitting side by side. You look at both, they both agree (within +/- 2 degrees) and it's time to go crack another cold, refreshing beverage.
Well, for me the big difference is that the TW Signals app immediately connects to wifi every time and I can monitor my cooks from anywhere. The RT app, on the other hand, never connects to wifi so if I use it, I have to constantly walk out to the grill to check temperatures. YMMV

Well, for me the big difference is that the TW Signals app immediately connects to wifi every time and I can monitor my cooks from anywhere. The RT app, on the other hand, never connects to wifi so if I use it, I have to constantly walk out to the grill to check temperatures. YMMV
I have had that problem with the 700 in the past. I dunno, three or four months ago (?). It's working now. My biggest annoyance with it not working was that if I was inside the house, I'd have to physically go out to the grill if I wanted to change the temp. NOT as advertised !

Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday, I cooked a Pork Butt and on startup, the Signals unit wouldn't connect to WiFi. So, I went through the setup procedure. Still wouldn't connect. I downloaded and re-installed the (same) latest version of firmware. Viola ! Wifi connected immediately. First problem I had ever had with the Thermoworks unit. Nothing else had changed. 🤷‍♂️

I have had that problem with the 700 in the past. I dunno, three or four months ago (?). It's working now. My biggest annoyance with it not working was that if I was inside the house, I'd have to physically go out to the grill if I wanted to change the temp. NOT as advertised !

Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday, I cooked a Pork Butt and on startup, the Signals unit wouldn't connect to WiFi. So, I went through the setup procedure. Still wouldn't connect. I downloaded and re-installed the (same) latest version of firmware. Viola ! Wifi connected immediately. First problem I had ever had with the Thermoworks unit. Nothing else had changed. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for the reminder, @Threadcutter; I had a message on my Signals that I needed to update my firmware. Just did it; piece of cake.

I just wish I could get the RT app to work. One of these days when I get motivated, I may go through the troubleshooting process again. Other than remote on/off and temp changing, I can’t see where the RT app could be of much use when I’m using the Signals.

These big heavy slabs of meat really don't care if temp fluctuates by a degree or three. I've cooked on stick burners for decades and had temp swings of 30 degrees or more over the 20 hour cook times. The meat didn't care. As was mentioned above, get the average close to your set point for 225-250, and call it good. For high temp, it won't matter.

Upper will be hotter than lower, etc, etc, etc
I expect that varies by cooker. The top shelf on my Yoder always runs cooler than the bottom shelf, but then the placement of the fire pot on a Yoder more closely mimics that of an offset cooker. Happening right now, the temps on my Yoder with the probe on the top rack, lookin for a cooking temp on the top rack of 300°.
IMG_1641.jpeg

These big heavy slabs of meat really don't care if temp fluctuates by a degree or three. I've cooked on stick burners for decades and had temp swings of 30 degrees or more over the 20 hour cook times. The meat didn't care. As was mentioned above, get the average close to your set point for 225-250, and call it good. For high temp, it won't matter.
Glad some ^^^^ are adding in the temp swings of stick burners and charcoal cookers in comparison, how much does it honestly matter or affect common meats over a long cook? Yes there are hotter sections on this grill and on all center mass fire pot smoker/grills, that's just science and the design of various units. Inaccurate controllers, inaccurate temps, burn backs, hot sections, grease fires and KABOOMs.......if I didn't know better, I'd swear these grills are just overall piles of smoking and sometimes flaming shite!!!!

Most registered folks here whether active or not, are just "quietly" busy enjoying their overall trouble-free RT grills, where others visit or respond only/mostly when they have a grip/complaint/experiences. My best friend has both an older 590 and a new 1250, he does minimal anything maintenance or cleaning on his grills, and those grills just continue to kick out trouble free yummy meat. Yes there has been and are issues with various things, I'm just big on adapting and overcoming as I've mentioned before, instead of perhaps yacking about it on a forum. I am happy for some tech support talk here at times and some great recipes, but so many forums are just bitching sessions......but hey to each their own. I've seen more than a few here since I joined who I swear are just looking for problems, and I have seen more than a few that are totally self induced. Seems to be an older crowd here, perhaps that has much to do with some of the conversations or threads started? Y'all are great and I enjoy the forum.......but these are seriously just appliances or tools that we may at times expect a bit too much of?

Well, that sure went south. I’ve seen my share of B&C on this forum, but not at all in this thread. If someone wants to post a pic of their grill temp running exactly the same as the set temp, some are going to say ‘Nope’. No one, to my knowledge, has bitched about the grill not maintaining perfectly acceptable temp ranges in this thread, just stating for fact that it is pure luck if your grill temp and set temp are exactly the same when you take a photo. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Glad some ^^^^ are adding in the temp swings of stick burners and charcoal cookers in comparison, how much does it honestly matter or affect common meats over a long cook? Yes there are hotter sections on this grill and on all center mass fire pot smoker/grills, that's just science and the design of various units. Inaccurate controllers, inaccurate temps, burn backs, hot sections, grease fires and KABOOMs.......if I didn't know better, I'd swear these grills are just overall piles of smoking and sometimes flaming shite!!!!

Most registered folks here whether active or not, are just "quietly" busy enjoying their overall trouble-free RT grills, where others visit or respond only/mostly when they have a grip/complaint/experiences. My best friend has both an older 590 and a new 1250, he does minimal anything maintenance or cleaning on his grills, and those grills just continue to kick out trouble free yummy meat. Yes there has been and are issues with various things, I'm just big on adapting and overcoming as I've mentioned before, instead of perhaps yacking about it on a forum. I am happy for some tech support talk here at times and some great recipes, but so many forums are just bitching sessions......but hey to each their own. I've seen more than a few here since I joined who I swear are just looking for problems, and I have seen more than a few that are totally self induced. Seems to be an older crowd here, perhaps that has much to do with some of the conversations or threads started? Y'all are great and I enjoy the forum.......but these are seriously just appliances or tools that we may at times expect a bit too much of?
Just waddya mean by “Older”, Bub ? 🤔🤣

Thanks for the reminder, @Threadcutter; I had a message on my Signals that I needed to update my firmware. Just did it; piece of cake.

I just wish I could get the RT app to work. One of these days when I get motivated, I may go through the troubleshooting process again. Other than remote on/off and temp changing, I can’t see where the RT app could be of much use when I’m using the Signals.
The RT App; only to change the “Set Temp” and “On/Off”. Beyond that, I look at my Signals.

Everything started out complicated, but it’s gotten to be pretty simple now. Just the way I like it 😊

Last edited:
I’m not sure why discussions of issues encountered, problems solved and problems yet unsolved generate so much heat and so little light. Exact temperature control seems to be at the forefront of the subjects that gets folks riled up.

Now, as for “older,” I guess I fit that category since I have been smoking various types of protein since before many folks here were born—truly. I’ve used charcoal grills, stick-burner smokers, pellet smokers, electric smokers, gas grills and a whole lot more stuff. I don’t claim to be an authority on any of them, just an experienced user who has had his fair share of successes and failures over the years.

My theory, as I have noted in previous threads, is that you just need to get to know your cooking appliances and tools, and adapt to their idiosyncrasies. My grandmother was an accomplished cook and baker who did not own a thermometer or any other heat-measuring device, yet, she never burned a pie or overcooked a turkey as far as I know. She may have in her early days, but that was just part of her “learning experience.” Grandma knew her stove and the items she was cooking based on her extensive experience with them.

The point is simply that cooking is more than following recipe directions. It is a lifelong learning experience where you learn how to use your tools, adjust to anomalies and try new things based on your level of experience. And, when discussing your experiences with cooking appliances and tools, it is normal to talk about things you think could work better in your opinion.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why discussions of issues encountered, problems solved and problems yet unsolved generate so much heat and so little light. Exact temperature control seems to be at the forefront of the subjects that gets folks riled up.

Now, as for “older,” I guess I fit that category since I have been smoking various types of protein since before many folks here were born—truly. I’ve used charcoal grills, stick-burner smokers, electric smokers, gas grills and a whole lot more stuff. I don’t claim to be an authority on any of them, just an experienced user who has has his fair share of successes and failures over the years.

My theory, as I have noted in previous threads, is that you just need to get to know your cooking anppliances annd tools, and adapt to their idiosyncrasies. My grandmother was an accomplished cook and baker who did not own a thermometer or any other heat-measuring device, ye, she never burned a pie or overcooked a turkey. She may have in her early days, but that was just part of her “learning experience.” Grandma knew her stove and the items she was cooking based on her extensive experience with them.

The point is simply that cooking is more than following recipe directions. It is a lifelong learning experience where you learn how to use your tools, adjust to anomalies and try new things based on your level of experience. And, when discussing your experiences with cooking appliances and tools, it is normal to talk about things you think could work better in your opinion.
This......

I have found that more recently, I cook more based on time than I do on temp. I'm an absolute neophyte and I don't pretend to be any different than that. But, as I've learned more, I've been more successful in my cooks.

The journey can be (and has been at times) frustrating. But, I think I have arrived at a point where I have gained enough experience/knowledge that I can hold my own. Am I ever going to be a "competitive cooker" ? That's really unlikely. The demands are so macular and specific, I don't think I'm ever going to go there. I enjoy cooking because it's a distraction from the day to day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back