Stampede Does your smoker hold temp?

I could have said all the windy above with. "Check it out, set it and forget it" as per Greg.

🔽🔽🔽What this guy says🔽🔽🔽
billy mayes set it and forget it GIF

Wait.. after all this time and now I find out my Bull is not always 100% on target?!?!

And to think after all this food cooked what I could have done to people!!

This is serious talk folks.. ;)

Loop Reaction GIF by Njorg

Geez, I'm happy with ±15º, that is way better than the stick burners that fluxuated 20º-50º on a regular basis. In the end, did the food turn out killer and everyone enjoyed it?
The smoker is a tool and you need to learn the tool to make killer BBQ.

My RT-340 holds temp fairly well at 220 and up. But below that I sometimes get 40 degree swings up and down. I have the feed rate at 5....the lowest it goes. RecTeq told when I called about it that the low temps will have those kind of swngs. And with those swings the smoke comes and goes. So I guess the temp range they stste of 180 to 500 is really 220 to 500. And the LO setting does not produce max smoke like they state. The food is always delicious though.

Ron Popiel said "Set it and forget it." for the rotisserie. But after having to clean it after use, was unforgettable. We gave it away. I liked the Pocket Fisherman better. We had a neighborhood stocked pond and I kept the "Fisherman" in the car for quick stops on the way home. Is Ron still around?

As I have previously commented on temp settings in my Patio Legend 410, I will restate my experience here. Yes, the "actual" temp on the display does lie, and yes, there are variations in accuracy of the temperature readings right out of the box. Putting a trusted temperature sensor inside the cooking area will quickly and easily show if the calibration setting in the app must be used. I found that mind was off over 10% at all temperature settings. I set a 10% compensation value using the compensation capability in the app and it now consistently holds the set temperature +/- 5 or so degrees.

Ron Popiel said "Set it and forget it." for the rotisserie. But after having to clean it after use, was unforgettable. We gave it away. I liked the Pocket Fisherman better. We had a neighborhood stocked pond and I kept the "Fisherman" in the car for quick stops on the way home. Is Ron still around?
He died at the age of 86, I think 2021. Death by a Veg-O-Matic

I use the Showtime Rottisorie to roast coffee. I had to add an extra heating element but it has been working for 20 years. Did he invent the Veg O Matic or was it the Salad Shooter. Nasty way to go.

My BFG holds temp too well, apparently. It’s an odd conundrum. I got rid of a 6mo Timberline XL because I commonly had ~50 degree temp swings. It did, however, produce a ton of smoke. The BFG holds temps like a rock, but has no smoke other than on startup. It appears the efficiency of the PID helps prevent the temp swings and, as a by product, smoke. I didn’t have this issue on my 1250, only the 2500.
9 months old & right on target.

View attachment 19214

My BFG holds temp too well, apparently. It’s an odd conundrum. I got rid of a 6mo Timberline XL because I commonly had ~50 degree temp swings. It did, however, produce a ton of smoke. The BFG holds temps like a rock, but has no smoke other than on startup. It appears the efficiency of the PID helps prevent the temp swings and, as a by product, smoke. I didn’t have this issue on my 1250, only the 2500.
Oh that's really interesting - for more smoke flavor, more temp swings are necessary.

Yeah the FB groups are full of these endless debates. It’s comical, but also annoying. I just tell everyone that it is important to use a 3rd party ambient probe to calibrate the offset so that you are at least cycling +/- your target temp. I need to recalibrate mine as it’s definitely running cool right now.

But yeah, actual temp on the PID is only ”accurate“ if you are calibrated. It is definitely not intended to be precise.

Last edited:
Oh that's really interesting - for more smoke flavor, more temp swings are necessary.
I don’t have the BFG. I have the RT-700, and while it’s true that I’ve been grilling and smoking for about 25 years, (Weber kettle), I’ve only had my 700 for 15 months, and seldom cook for more than my 3 person household. So, I may be woefully ignorant about many of the finer points especially when it comes to producing larger quantities to feed large groups. With that being said, I’ve found the extreme smoke setting on my Bull works really well for long or shorter cooks.

Mine stays on track and if it's cooled as I lift a lid to spritz, it's back to temp quick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back