Does anyone smoke Mortadella?

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Some recent posts have been made in other threads about smoking bologna and I was gently called out for saying I didn’t care for bologna (or “baloney” as we used to call it). I did a little research and found that bologna has a cousin, mortadella, which is something I do like.

I grew up in a community with a heavy Italian influence (California’s “wine country”) and mortadella was very popular, being on the antipasta plate at every Italian family dinner. I’ve had it in Spain as well where it also contained olive chunks and/or pine nuts/pistacios. Delicious!

So, I got to wondering if anyone has smoked mortadella? I may actually give it a try once I find a local source for whole mortadella sausage. I’m wondering, however, if the fat chunks in it would render out and change the flavor and consistency. Thoughts or experiences?

Last edited:
Some recent posts have been made in other threads about smoking bologna and I was gently called out for saying I didn’t care for bologna (or “blooney” as we used to call it). I did a little research and found that bologna has a cousin, mortadella, which is something I do like.
Jim6820,

This is a “stump the chump” question. I lose. I got nothing. I will do a little research though as I am looking for new things to throw on the firebreathers. Thanks for bringing a new opportunity to me.

Jim6820,

This is a “stump the chump” question. I lose. I got nothing. I will do a little research though as I am looking for new things to throw on the firebreathers. Thanks for bringing a new opportunity to me.
There ain’t no “chumps” on this forum, @SmokeZilla. There are a few rabble-rousers like me, however. ;)

Never heard of that - never thought of doing it - don't like the pistachio version.
Interested to see how yours turns out. Make sure to detail seasoning and sauce.
I actually like Mortadella for its plain-ness, but I guess that's what will allow it to work with seasonings/sauce.

My go to's are Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #1's. Guhrka's, Cohiba Red Dot, Perdomo Champagne.......amongst others. What cigar manufacturer makes the Mortadella you smoke?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back