Bull Hot Bull Horns

My Bull RT700 horns get warm on long cooks. Especially, where they attach to the grill. Not so much at the tips of the horns. I have never felt the need to use gloves to open the grill. The insulation gasket that comes with the new grill to instal between the horns and grill is a must.
Always, just the tip.

Don’t believe cork will work.
Engines dont run upwards of 500-600* F
Cork is good up until around 350-400
That lid definitely gets hotter than that at points

Do you think so?

Perhaps I should get out my thermocouple and graph out internal temp vs lid temp. I'd go do it now, but it's almost 100F out there.

Yes, please. At your convenience, of course. 🙂

GIF by Lucifer

Do you think so?

Perhaps I should get out my thermocouple and graph out internal temp vs lid temp. I'd go do it now, but it's almost 100F out there.
Id say A grill running 500+ degrees is definitely running in that ball park on the lid or atleast more than cork should take
Just took temp
(not saying this is the gospel on temps)
Grill is not in direct sun almost all day.
90* here
Used an infrared thermometer and the temp read 137. That’s just surface temp using that thermometer.

I see this hot horn thing has become a real issue for some of the folks here.

Lucky for you, Necessity is the mother of invention.

I must ask that you kind ladies and gents PLEASE keep this new product confidential. The last thing I want is for RT to steal another idea off this forum, especially one that I poured my heart and soul into. You know, blood sweat and tears.

Allow me to present my new product:

HORN HELPERS

So let me tell you a little about the product. Horn Helpers insulate against heat and electrical shocks. If you recall, some here on the forum have been shocked by touching these very same horns.

The ribs make lifting and closing the cover significantly easier.

Colors allow you to differentiate right side from left side.

I present HORN HELPERS

20210811_142926.jpg

Last edited:
Storms are here, but here is some quick data. I used a 15' dwell once it reached setpoint, was it enough? I don't know.

FWIW: I use LavaLock on my lid, so the only metal to metal contact is at the hinge.

At 400F, the base of the bullhorns were 185F. It was 105F at the middle of the handle where you'd grab it.

For the lid temp, the thermocouple was attached behind the bullhorn's neoprene'ish insulation and the screw was tightened.

IMG_6793.JPG
IMG_6796.JPG

IMG_6797.JPG

I see this hot horn thing has become a real issue for some of the folks here.

Lucky for you, Necessity is the mother of invention.

I must ask that you kind ladies and gents PLEASE keep this new product confidential. The last thing I want is for RT to steal another idea off this forum, especially one that I poured my heart and soul into. You know, blood sweat and tears.

Allow me to present my new product:

HORN HELPERS

So let me tell you a little about the product. Horn Helpers insulate against heat and electrical shocks. If you recall, some here on the forum have been shocked by touching these very same horns.

The ribs make lifting and closing the cover significantly easier.

Colors allow you to differentiate right side from left side.

I present HORN HELPERS

View attachment 12084
Chris G wins the internet today.

I used paper gasket material to seal the stack to the grill. That would work at the horns too. since it doesn't completely eliminate metal to metal contact, things are still going to get warm.

I noticed when I ran a brisket at 400F for the entire cook, the horns were hotter than 2 dollar pistol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back