Bull running way too hot

Subman619

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I need some suggestions for my Bull 700 overheating issue. Started about 3 smokes ago. Cannot maintain any smoking temperature from 200 through 300. Don’t use the Bull above 300. Temperatures running 40 to 80 degrees above what is dialed in. Both the Bull temperature probe and my Thermoworks Pro-Series High Temp Air Probe agree within 10 degrees. Have changed pellets twice including a different manufacturer. Also cleaned out the fire box (not the barrel). Ran diagnostics, all good. I know I can recalibrate but the temp difference is too high for that to eliminate the issue. Once the initial set temp is reached it holds for about 15 minutes then the fan starts cycling on for approx. 3 seconds then off for approx. 3 seconds continuously. I assume the auger is running at the same rate. Temp keeps building and peaks at some point shortly thereafter. Might drop some after a while but never close to what is dialed in. Have went through 3 racks of ribs during 2 of the cooks and 2 pork shoulders (small ones 3lb each) during the last. That cook was set at 200 hoping it would stay somewhere in an acceptable range. Went to 280 and oscillated between 270 and 280 until I pulled and wrapped. All cooks’ results were very disappointing to say the least. Have had many successful cooks over the last 2 years before these so something is wrong. Any suggestions as to what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

Can you check to see what your minimum feed rate is at? If that accidentally got turned way up it could cause this issue as it would be feeding pellets at a higher minimum rate.

Assume the system controller probe is good and clean? It could be bad too, in particular with this just occurring out of the blue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back