Help me make up my damn mind... RT 700 or the 590?

Washington State, so it doesn't get brutally cold very often!
“Very often“ was the operative phrase. Here in the NW corner of Washington state, we just (today) came off of 8 days with the high temperature staying below freezing. We hit bottom at 6 F with 35-40 mph winds. Wind chill was -12 F. I submit that it was “brutally cold” here during that period.

I Have the 1250 and love it. The upgraded version really sold me. I also have a 340 for smaller cooks.

What's good about the 700 is that it has that stack. It seems to move the smoke around better. I have the 590 and my neighbor has the 700. His throws off more smoke.

Originally purchased the 700, love it but seems like a lot of wasted fuel. Or I was trying to find some more items to smoke. Purchased the 340, love it. Now I have one of each. So with that said, I wish I would have purchased the 590. Happy medium.
I have the 700 and 340 also. I believe they covers everything. The 340 is great for brisket and smaller things while the 700 is great for multiple racks of ribs and other things. It’s the best combo for two smokers.

IMHO, I have a 590 and a Bullseye, I would get two grills, more versatile than one. You CANT do everything on one grill, get two for close to the same price.
It is just my wife and I,occasionally our son will come home. That being said the 590 has been fine for whatever we cook and really love the Bullseye for hot and fast.
The 590 is as good as the 700 or 1250, just smaller. Just saying. I recently cooked, individually, not all at once, an 18 pound brisket, 3 racks of ribs, meatloaf, beef tenderloin etc. All with not good but GREAT results.
I see you have placed your order, but call them and they will be happy to ship you 2 grills and you will be happy!

Last edited:
IMHO, I have a 590 and a Bullseye, I would get two grills, more versatile than one. You CANT do everything on one grill, get two for close to the same price.
It is just my wife and I,occasionally our son will come home. That being said the 590 has been fine for whatever we cook and really love the Bullseye for hot and fast.
The 590 is as good as the 700 or 1250, just smaller. Just saying. I recently cooked, individually, not all at once, an 18 pound brisket, 3 racks of ribs, meatloaf, beef tenderloin etc. All with not good but GREAT results.
I see you have placed your order, but call them and they will be happy to ship you 2 grills and you will be happy!
I would have probably gone this route, but I have a Weber Platinum Performer kettle that I love!

I think the 590 is perfect for small family with occasional larger groups. 8-10 would be no problem for steaks, burgers and chops. And it can handle any size brisket, butt, roast, ham, etc. If you want to have multiple cooks going at once, i.e potatoes, bread, fresh veggies, it will handle enough the side dishes for smaller groups. Only shortcoming is that there is no second shelf built in.

I’m on the fence as well! But it’s not a money issue for me, it’s a space issue… I have a built in charcoal grill, a blackstone, and a gigantic Daniel boone green mountain I want to replace. I’ve had to replace the heating element on this thing 5 times in 4 years and decided I’m done doing that! How much difference size wise is the 590 to the 700? The Daniel Boone is huge and doesn’t fit well in my cooking area. Also I have been on a carnivore diet for a few years and like to sear ribeyes daily, is there much difference in how long the 700 takes to heat vs the 590? I do like the behind the grill hopper on the 700.

700....family of 4 but often cook for 10-12. I'm coming from a bullet and a Daniel Boone. I can totally see having the 1250 but the 700 should do me well enough though last week I did 5 salmon fillets and it was basically full, so it's not like the 700 is grossly huge.
That’s my question, how is the 700 compared to the Daniel Boone? That GM is huge and barely fits in my cooking area. My wife agree to let me get a new grill on the agreement it has to be a bit smaller.

So... I'm on the fence. It's just my wife and I and our new daughter. We occasionally cook for friends, but only like 2-4 people.

I'm about 75% convinced on the 700 for only $300 more... Anyways, thanks for taking the time! I look forward to being a part of the kick ass forum regardless of which one I choose.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF
It is just my wife and I, so I had the same dilemma. Went with the 700...zero regrets. It's like buying a safe...you will never regret going with the bigger one!

@Gypsyplumber the dimensions are on the RecTeq website but the 700 is 56” the 590 is 44” and the 1070 is 30”. So if space is a bigger issue than money you might want to look at the 1070.

With the upgraded motors they all ramp up to temp very fast. I’m sure the smaller grills will do it faster but not anything you’d notice without timing it. I upgraded to a full 2 rpm motor (RecTeqs old motors were actually 1.6) and it made a huge difference so I’m sure the 3 rpm are a lot faster.

@Gypsyplumber the dimensions are on the RecTeq website but the 700 is 56” the 590 is 44” and the 1070 is 30”. So if space is a bigger issue than money you might want to look at the 1070.

With the upgraded motors they all ramp up to temp very fast. I’m sure the smaller grills will do it faster but not anything you’d notice without timing it. I upgraded to a full 2 rpm motor (RecTeqs old motors were actually 1.6) and it made a huge difference so I’m sure the 3 rpm are a lot faster.
Seems like the 700 is the one for me then, it’s smaller than my Daniel Boone by about 7 inches but I think having the hopper in back might make it feel smaller. I also like that the shelf is on the side. If the heating time is negligible I’ll go with the bigger option.

Seems like the 700 is the one for me then, it’s smaller than my Daniel Boone by about 7 inches but I think having the hopper in back might make it feel smaller. I also like that the shelf is on the side. If the heating time is negligible I’ll go with the bigger option.
The complete dimensions for all the RT grills are on their website, if that helps.

So... I'm on the fence. It's just my wife and I and our new daughter. We occasionally cook for friends, but only like 2-4 people.

I'm about 75% convinced on the 700 for only $300 more... Anyways, thanks for taking the time! I look forward to being a part of the kick ass forum regardless of which one I choose.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF
The Bull!!! 700

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back