Stampede Wings on 590 Help Plz

zebra

Doing wings tomorrow that will be marinating overnight.

I have heard a lot of the 0 - 400 method, but is that still good to use if they are marinaded?

Lokking for approximate timing as well as temp.

Doing wings tomorrow that will be marinating overnight.

I have heard a lot of the 0 - 400 method, but is that still good to use if they are marinaded?

Lokking for approximate timing as well as temp.
I have an RT-700. I don’t marinate my wings beforehand. Primary reason is I’ve not seen the skin crisp up when the skin is wet. It can be hard enough to get the skin crispy on it’s own.

I don’t know the 0-400 method. I season mine with my dry rub and put them on an uncovered baking sheet in the fridge overnight. Then, I put them on my 700 at 325F till done.

I know there are various methods to try. That’s mine. I hope your wings turn out well.

I’m guessing the 0-400 method is the same as how we do bacon in the oven. My grill comes up to temp too fast to get much benefit out of the 0 to 400 temp rise, as opposed to the oven where the bacon is half done by the time it hits 400. Sounds like it’s pretty much just cooking at 400.

I’ve never tried marinated, I coat after they are crispy so can’t take a guess at timing.

FWIW I crisp mine over very hot charcoal, just 6 at a time, turning pretty quick or they’ll burn. Takes maybe a minute or 2. After being cooked low and slow.

That 0-400 is on par with the 3-2-1 rib method......makes no sense. Run at 275F/325F and call it a success, I crisp mine up a bit more on either the grill or preferably in the air fryer, they are IMHO "proper restaurant" quality. I only dry marinate wings, anything wet just makes them harder to crisp.

0-400 is a no go for me. Too much dirty smoke on the start up, don’t want dirty smoke on my food.

I do marinated wings and they turn out well. I did MeatChurch’s Bonchon teriyaki wings last week, they were great, a full marinade.

With any wings remember to get excess liquid off before cooking. So marinade, and then sit on a rack to dry out in fridge a little

Finish at a temp higher than 300 to avoid rubber skin. I like 225 degrees to get it up to around 160 and then 375-400 (depending on sugar content) to get them to around 180 or so. Always crispy, never rubbery

Agreed on the dirty smoke at start up, sometimes worst than others, but if you want to chance your wings having that house fire smokey taste, go for the 0-400 (which should really be called ambient-400, that is unless it's actually 0 outside) :unsure:

0-400 is a no go for me. Too much dirty smoke on the start up, don’t want dirty smoke on my food.

I do marinated wings and they turn out well. I did MeatChurch’s Bonchon teriyaki wings last week, they were great, a full marinade.

With any wings remember to get excess liquid off before cooking. So marinade, and then sit on a rack to dry out in fridge a little

Finish at a temp higher than 300 to avoid rubber skin. I like 225 degrees to get it up to around 160 and then 375-400 (depending on sugar content) to get them to around 180 or so. Always crispy, never rubbery
Thank you ... What temp would you recommend putting them on and for how long, to you flip and how long after you place them on before flipping?

Thank you ... What temp would you recommend putting them on and for how long, to you flip and how long after you place them on before flipping?

Post #4 is a good starting point. ;) How big are the wings also matters, I tend to go with the smaller variety, at 300F I will go about 45 minutes than flip them, about another 30 minutes and they are typically done or if not, they are heading to the air fryer at 400F for a crisp finish.

Post #4 is a good starting point. ;) How big are the wings also matters, I tend to go with the smaller variety, at 300F I will go about 45 minutes than flip them, about another 30 minutes and they are typically done or if not, they are heading to the air fryer at 400F for a crisp finish.
Thank you very much !

Here is how I do my wings on the Bull. I do marindate my wings overnight or even up to 3 days.

I season with usually Holy Vodoo from Meat Church but it can be whatever you want. I do not pad my dry but maybe I'll give that a shot next time.

I smoke them on low(180) for 2 hours or so. Then I turn up to 375 to 425. On my Bull, it takes awhile to get up there. If you have a newer 590 with the faster auger, maybe stick with 375 and adjust as needed. After turning up the temp and getting close to the set temp, I flip them when they have good color and cook until internal between 180 and 200. You can spray your wings with an oil spray or duck fat spray if you have it. That will help the wings crisp up a bit. I do this before I turn the grill up to 375 to 425. When I flip the wings, I spray on the other side also.

Last time I did these, I did try the smoke fried method and it was really good. So instead of turning up the grill, I just then fried them for a few minutes to finish them off.

If someone really wants really cripsy wings(because in reality, you won't get them really crispy grilling) - I suggest trying the Meat Church crispy wings in the world or whatever he calls it.
https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/crispiest-wings-ever

That is legit and zero doubt the crunchest/crispiest wings I've ever had. You have to double fry them so it is a good amount of work.

Back to the grill method I use though, I would give it a shot. Cooking them on low for a few hours allows the skin to dry out and they will get some decent smoke flavor. I usually use a smoke tube also when doing this. This has been my method for years now.

Baking powder is good mixed in with the rub too. Of course, it has cornstarch in it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back