Grill Grates - yes or no?

TheRicker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Is it just me or do all my steaks seared on grill grates turn out tougher than just using my gas grill or my RT-700? Vegetables are great. My steaks tough. And I’m using high-grade choice grade meat. Typically ribeyes or NY strips. I cook my steaks to 140 degrees.

Yes, the nicely seared cross-hatches are pretty.

What’s been your experience?

Detailed process? I love steaks on grill grates, I love steaks pretty much any way but boiled. My steaks are not tough, I reverse sear. Are you cooking 100% on the grates?

Is it just me or do all my steaks seared on grill grates turn out tougher than just using my gas grill or my RT-700? Vegetables are great. My steaks tough. And I’m using high-grade choice grade meat. Typically ribeyes or NY strips. I cook my steaks to 140 degrees.

Yes it is just you 😄. I reverse sear and never a problem

I don't think it's the grill grates at 500+ degrees. But I do find that if you reverse sear and smoke at a low temp for an extended time prior, the 380 produces a bark on the outside of the steak, making it a bit chewy. Particularly on a filet, which I don't enjoy. If I want some smoke flavor, I simply smoke in my stick smoker for a few minutes and then go straight to high sear. Pork chops are completely different. I can use the prescribed reverse sear method and they turn out excellent. Probably due to the higher fat content.

I don't think it's the grill grates at 500+ degrees. But I do find that if you reverse sear and smoke at a low temp for an extended time prior, the 380 produces a bark on the outside of the steak, making it a bit chewy. Particularly on a filet, which I don't enjoy. If I want some smoke flavor, I simply smoke in my stick smoker for a few minutes and then go straight to high sear. Pork chops are completely different. I can use the prescribed reverse sear method and they turn out excellent. Probably due to the higher fat content.

A proper ribeye is your friend. :)

140 degrees is well done so that could be your problem.

I use grill grates on my 700 and also my gas grill with no issues, but I like my steaks medium rare at about 125 degrees while my wife takes hers medium at 130. I can’t imagine there’s any red left inside steaks cooked to 140 but if that is your preference then I agree with others that a change in butchers could help.

Personally I’ve always had good luck with Costco and I don’t reverse sear.

Yes, use mine all of the time, Both sides....

I cook my steaks to 140 degrees.
Don’t forget that temperature continues to rise for a while after the protein comes off the grill. Beef will rise 7-10 degrees F after it is pulled, putting your 140F steak at 147-150F; right at the medium well point. If that’s what you intend, great; but if you are looking for a tender, medium rare steak you will be disappointed. For medium rare, I pull my steaks at 128-130F to achieve medium rare. YMMV

And, yes; cooking to medium well done will add some degree of “toughness.”

Choice is not high-grade, it's mid-grade - especially with strip steak. I would suggest sticking with prime ribeye and see if you are still having problems with tenderness. But, grill grates should have no impact on tenderness.

Detailed process? I love steaks on grill grates, I love steaks pretty much any way but boiled. My steaks are not tough, I reverse sear. Are you cooking 100% on the grates?
I have reversed sear and I’ve done 100% grill grates. Reverse sear is a little better.

140 degrees is well done so that could be your problem.

I use grill grates on my 700 and also my gas grill with no issues, but I like my steaks medium rare at about 125 degrees while my wife takes hers medium at 130. I can’t imagine there’s any red left inside steaks cooked to 140 but if that is your preference then I agree with others that a change in butchers could help.

Personally I’ve always had good luck with Costco and I don’t reverse sear.
I get most of my meats from Costco too.

140 is not well-done. It’s a nice medium. Not arguing that a lower temp isn’t nice or your preference. But I have to find a point that I like and my bride can tolerate.

Choice is not high-grade, it's mid-grade - especially with strip steak. I would suggest sticking with prime ribeye and see if you are still having problems with tenderness. But, grill grates should have no impact on tenderness.
I didn’t mean to suggest choice is high grade. But when I occasionally go to my preferred local butcher, he has what he calls a high or upper grade choice. He gets all his grass-fed beef from a state/regional source. Maybe he’s BS’ing me. But the meat I’ve gotten there has been superb. His prices are high and that’s why I get most of my meats from Costco. But sometimes they don’t have any tri-tip or picanha (which have become favorites lately. And my Costco doesn’t always have prime grade meats on-hand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back