Stampede Grill Grates in the dishwasher

johnnyd48

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
My Wife accidentally put my Grill Grates in the dishwasher. They now look different, are they ruined?
Can i just try to reseason them?
thanks

My Wife accidentally put my Grill Grates in the dishwasher. They now look different, are they ruined?
thanks
It more than likely hurt the anodizing on them. I would get them dirty again when cooking or smoking something off to the side of them and they will be ok to be used again.

Is there a warranty on the GrillGrates.

Yes. We have a no questions asked warranty. After using GrillGrates you decide, if you don't like them for any reason, we'll take them back! New or used GrillGrates may be returned within 90-days for a full refund (you only pay shipping) Normal wear and tear or modifications are not covered by this warranty.

The last time I put oil on my Grill Grates was about 10 years ago, when I dropped one in the garage and it skidded across the floor and underneath my HD Shovelhead! 😂
You would have gotten more oil if it was a pan or knucklehead!!

Jokes aside... I cannot imagine a dishwasher doing anything to them much less hurting them. I don't use them on the RT but have them wall to wall on the gas grill. Before cooking I scrape them off with a teak scraper and spritz them with canola oil. I have a valley brush but don't use it until the holes between the ribs start to clog up. Keep it simple.

I'm betting they won't be covered under warranty because any damage would be considered normal wear & tear - they emphasize not putting them in a dishwasher. Dishwasher detergent is just too caustic for hard anodized aluminum. Just like not using oven cleaner. That said, I have no idea if it will affect performance. It may just make them harder to clean. I'd call them and ask their advice. Understand that the folks you talk to may have to say "we don't recommend using them after being cleaned in a dishwasher" for liability/commercial/whatever business purposes. If so, you can always decide if you want to give it a try or not.

Has anyone used an onion to season your grill grates?
Nope, I just put them on the grill like the instructions said to do and cooked some burgers.

What is the best way to break in my new GrillGrates?

Cook some food with a high fat content like chicken thighs or burgers the first few times you grill. Let your grates season in like a cast iron skillet. GrillGrates reside on your grill, unless you intend on storing them indoors or traveling with them. A brush during warm up and an occasional shovel of the valleys with the GrateTool is all you need. If they get a lot of build up over time, a hot water soak with a mild dish soap and a brillo pad works wonders. Simple Green also works well. Deep cleaning may be only necessary once a year.

Nope, I just put them on the grill like the instructions said to do and cooked some burgers.

What is the best way to break in my new GrillGrates?

Cook some food with a high fat content like chicken thighs or burgers the first few times you grill. Let your grates season in like a cast iron skillet. GrillGrates reside on your grill, unless you intend on storing them indoors or traveling with them. A brush during warm up and an occasional shovel of the valleys with the GrateTool is all you need. If they get a lot of build up over time, a hot water soak with a mild dish soap and a brillo pad works wonders. Simple Green also works well. Deep cleaning may be only necessary once a year.
Does Rec Teq get the sear grates from GrillGrate company? They look alike. They use an onion to season their grates. https://www.grillgrate.com/care-and-cleaning/

Does Rec Teq get the sear grates from GrillGrate company? They look alike. They use an onion to season their grates. https://www.grillgrate.com/care-and-cleaning/
Yes recteq does get them form the GrillGrate Co and I see where they use a onion with the link you posted, it's very confusing depending on what link you click on. For me I eat onions I don't use them for cleaning anything.

Yes recteq does get them form the GrillGrate Co and I see where they use a onion with the link you posted, it's very confusing depending on what link you click on. For me I eat onions I don't use them for cleaning anything.
LOL, I hear ya. It appears to me the Trailblazer RT-340 sear grates would be the best size for the Stampede RT-590. They don't go all the way across the body in the right direction so you don't have to turn them sideways.

I just put them on the grill and started using them. To clean I run them under hot water, I have the spiral Grill Grate brush but haven't needed to use it yet.
https://www.grillgrate.com/frequently-asked-questions/
I noticed that a non metal grill brush can be used on the sear grates too. I ordered one from another site but I had planned to use it on the Bullseye ceramic coated grill. Looks like I can use it on the sear grates too.

https://www.grillgrate.com/commercial-grade-grill-brush/

Last edited:
thanks
Aluminum hates dishwashers. It’s the dishwashing soap that does it. In order to do such a great job on your dishes, it has to be a very harsh environment. If I’m not mistaken its very high PH.

anodizing is not a coating but a chemical reaction with the aluminum. I can’t say what a dishwasher does to anodized aluminum but it might be worth a call to grill grates. Reasoning with an onion may be all that’s needed. There’s some chemistry that happens with hot aluminum and compounds in an onion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back