Bull Got Pellets...?

Yeah that would be nasty. Sometimes my local store has a few bags, but not many of them. Local options for LJ pretty slim in my area.

Well shoot. I guess I’ll try Dick’s again. They were trying to charge me $40 for 4 bags the other day.
What size bags? The Dicks in my area only has 20# bags. However to get 80# for only $40 seems to me to be a good deal.

Bear Mountain you can sometimes get on amazon 40lb bags of hickory 22-$25 shipped with Prime.
40lb Bear Mountain
These have been a great substitute when my local LJ supply dried up during the pandemic. I will likely go bad to LJ when supplies are fixed, but $25/40lb isn't too bad.

Hey all,

I've been using the Rec Tec pellets so far. Used a round of Trager pellets from Costco as well, not too long ago. Both working well...didn't see much of a difference in flavor or temps. Looking to explore other pellets soon.

Wondering what type are your 'go to pellets'? Reliable/steady heat for low & slow. Also to hit those high 500+ temps for the quick sear?
I have had best luck and the least amount of ash with the
RT pellets. Have not tried LJ pellets but will try once my rt ultimate runs out...cooking pellets, bear mountain and traeger seemed to leave a LOT more ash and didn't heat as quickly.

Dick's has treated me well with the free shipping on orders over $49 and usually has them to me in 2-3 days. As mentioned in an earlier post, Rural King is not in California and they WILL NOT ship here either; Dick's is a convenient, affordable alternative.

Been a Stick Burner for 15+ years
Haven't received my RT-700 yet, but I did find Bear Mountain's Site (https://bearmountainbbq.com) $18.00/20lb+shipping
Then I found them on A'zone for (approx) $18.00(+/-) per 20lb .... shipped
I use Alder and Oak in my Stick Burner, about 2/1, so I've ordered 2 bags of Alder and 1 Oak from A'zone
5 day shipping ? .... we'll see !

After going through 200lbs of the RT pellets, I have used PitBoss, Jack Daniels, Smoke House, B&B and have not had any issues with any of them. I have not tried LJ yet because I can not find them local and will not pay the higher price and shipping on top of that. I average about $16 per 40lb bag or less on what I have purchased. Most of my cooks are lower temps, but do run it at 350-400 for some things. I have only had my 700 above 450 once in the 1 year that I have it. I use my gaser for high temps and searing.
Where do you buy $16/40 ?
Sounds great

Also have used Rec Teq, Pit Boss, LJ ,Traeger and others with no problems. Some produce more smoke but temps have held steady with all. 15 for 40 on Pit Boss at Lowes.

If you have an Atwoods around you, they have LJ and BM pellets on sale from time to time for $6.99/ 40 pound bag. $8.99 regular price.

$49 will ship for free at Dick's. A few days ago they were crediting the shipping even on smaller orders. I picked up two bags with no shipping fee. That was the first time I saw that deal. Sure wish Rural King was in California.

How did you get free shipping? I just tried to order $80 of Lumber Jack from Dicks and they are charging me $60 in estimated shipping! Customer service saying its on the "Exceeds Weight" exclusion list. No free shipping. I ended up canceling my order...

I was a bit surprised too at free shipping for two bags. I do have a Dick's membership, so maybe a member's special deal? Normally I am hit with $10 for shipping if under $49. The number they quoted you is certainly a deal breaker. I just looked online and it still comes up as $0 for any quantity.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had 4 bags in my cart at Dick's online last week, it showed free shipping. But decided to wait until the Bullseye was back in stock. Now it shows $40 shipping, but at checkout it lowers to $20, but still too much. I'll try to find some local. And I'd rather NOT give Dick's any of my money anyway.

Where do you buy $16/40 ?
Sounds great
I have purchased pellets from Sams Club for $14.99 for 40lb bag of the Smokehouse brand.
I have gotten some PitBoss from HomeDepotor Lowes for $16/40lb. I purchased the B&B from Academy sports for 16/40lb. The JD pellets where $9/20lbs.
Walmart sells PitBoss for $15/40, but many times there bags are busted up and lots of dust.
I have not found LJ pellets around here, but I have not had any issues with anything I have used so far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back