Bull Need help getting auger out after leaving pellets in the hopper and they got wet

Cincojoe

Ok I screwed up. Thought I had ran my pellets out last year like I always do before storing it for winter. Took her out to fire up and discovered I had about 1/3 full still and it appears water got in. I have vacuumed all the pellets out and when I got down to the auger it was rock hard saw dust. I chipped most of it away and vacuumed but there is still more where I can’t reach.

I decided pull the auger out but I can’t get it to budge. I have tried prying it like Recteq shows on YouTube but it won’t come out. Yes I removed the set screws.

Any suggestions on getting that hardened say dust to loosen up? Maybe hot water?

Last edited:
Ok I screwed up. Thought I had ran my pellets out last year like I always do before storing it for winter. Took her out to fire up and discovered I had about 1/3 full still and it appears water got in. I have vacuumed all the pellets out and when I got down to the auger it was rock hard saw dust. I chipped most of it away and vacuumed but there is still more where I can’t reach.

I decided pull the auger out but I can’t get it to budge. I have tried prying it like Recteq shows on YouTube but it won’t come out. Yes I removed the set screws.

Any suggestions on getting that hardened say dust to loosen up? Maybe hot water?
I had to do this a couple of times on my old Traeger. I used a sturdy monkey wrench to grasp the end of the auger and then twisted. The wrench seemed to provide enough torque to pull the auger through the obstruction. Good luck.

I had stuck auger. Using an EZ out or screw extractor was the ONLY way. What a freaking pain.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back