Going to Try First Steak Tonight....Suggestions?

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
So I was at butcher shop and they had a nice 1lb Prime grade NY Strip with great marbling. I'm going to throw on Bull until internal temp of 105, maybe 110. Then sear on Bullseye set to Riot mode bc I love a hard crust but medium rare center throughout. Is this plan solid? I've seen some examples of nice internal color/temp but haven't loved the sear on outside bc I think most are just cranking up temp on the standard pellet grills. Any advice in next hour will help me make this steak perfection...

Sounds pretty solid but do you have a cast iron pan or sear plates? You will get the best sear that way. Put a little butter over it also like spoon it if you can. Looking forward to the pics!
I have an awesome cast iron insert grate that allows for flat or ribbed grates on my Bullseye but may sit my 12" lodge on top bc I also enjoy the butter bathing method. I have found that there is no such thing as "too hot" on the sear.

I have an awesome cast iron insert grate that allows for flat or ribbed grates on my Bullseye but may sit my 12" lodge on top bc I also enjoy the butter bathing method. I have found that there is no such thing as "too hot" on the sear.

Now you're talking! I just ate but now I want steak! Bacon and eggs was filling though on the Blackstone LOL.

Success. Next time I'll pull it at 100 and go low extra smoke. The Bullseye is just so hot that it takes it up to temp super fast.

Attachments

• 237ACFE3-76E3-4050-8A17-26C0665C7C99.jpeg
    237ACFE3-76E3-4050-8A17-26C0665C7C99.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2244.MOV
    14.7 MB
  • DDDA561B-EAE8-44C5-AD18-ABC6976EEB26.jpeg
    DDDA561B-EAE8-44C5-AD18-ABC6976EEB26.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 176
Success. Next time I'll pull it at 100 and go low extra smoke. The Bullseye is just so hot that it takes it up to temp super fast.

When I cook within a couple inches of a super hot charcoal fire, my 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" steaks get pulled off around low-mid 90s for a rare med-rare or well-rare. I used to pull them and tent them with foil, but I found they were overcooking during a 15 min rest. Now they are just plated open and in a quiet place.

When I cook within a couple inches of a super hot charcoal fire, my 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" steaks get pulled off around low-mid 90s for a rare med-rare or well-rare. I used to pull them and tent them with foil, but I found they were overcooking during a 15 min rest. Now they are just plated open and in a quiet place.
Wait, so you pull at low to mid 90's and they would rest above 130? I pulled from the Bull at 108 and then finished on the Bullseye in riot mode, then tented for a 5 min rest. I was planning on pulling off at 100 next time but if I understand you correctly I may need to pull even earlier

There is time and temperature to consider. The surface of the steak is very hot and it is seeking equilibrium with the cooler core. In my measurements, it took about 13-15 minutes for the outside to cool enough, and the core to rise enough for them to equalize on a steak 1 1/4-1 1/2" thick. Of course, the juices of the core are expanding. But thats anotherdiscussion.

If you change more than one thing it's difficult to tell what had the effect. But I would ditch the tent, let your rest go to at least 12-13 minutes and repeat everything else. Check your results adjust as needed. You can try 15 to 20 minute rests. The steak is cooler but more juicey, IMO. A 5 minute rest after a very hot fire with a tent is still cooking inside and it will really spill juices.

This is my experience with a steak right out of the fridge.

My target core temperature is high 120s to low 130s.

Last edited:
I would suggest pulling at 100-105 (max) then sear on cast iron on stove at very high. I like med. rare.

If I had seen this yesterday before your cook I would have suggested pulling it at 100 internal. I have had difficulty avoiding over cooking. And from the looks of your pictures, while it looks great, it’s a tad overdone for my money. And from your comment about pulling it earlier, it might’ve been a bit too done for you as well.

i move to an Egg charcoal/wood fire and have the same experience. I pull at 100. And finish with sear. I find that if i go to 105+ (used to pull at 110-115) i end up with medium after the rest. It takes some confidence. (practice). But that works best for me.

In Michigan... couple weeks away from all-in again with my 700 and other toys!

If I had seen this yesterday before your cook I would have suggested pulling it at 100 internal. I have had difficulty avoiding over cooking. And from the looks of your pictures, while it looks great, it’s a tad overdone for my money. And from your comment about pulling it earlier, it might’ve been a bit too done for you as well.
You are correct, luckily it was Prime beef and it had locked in a lot of juiciness so it was really good but I would have pulled at 95-100 next time

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back