Stampede GMG pizza oven is awesome

I have a Camp Chef pizza oven and love it, but if I were in the market for a pizza oven today I would also look at the Ooni models. Is it too late to return the GMG oven?
Yes, I have used the GMG Pizza Oven already so I am sure too late for a return but that's ok since my wife did not want something to sit out on the counters and I can store this in the cabinet below the grill. We are using this as a stopgap until we build a proper pizza oven anyway, so looking for something that will carry us through at lower cost (at least for my use case).

Cutting away the existing pizza oven pipe with the flange is out of the question?
It would allow you to have a slip fit - and your stainless connector hunt won't have to be so exact.

PS - Sanitary = no seams, so food, drink, sludge do not catch on it and cause spoilage/infections of whatever product you are piping through there; not too important for your needs. It's food grade, no coatings or finishes to worry about. Just plain stainless.

Getting closer, since we have the braintrust here (and maybe we should have moved this convo into the 1070 forum since it is only pertinent to that model) I am posting a few new pictures.

IMG_6438 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6439 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6437 Medium.jpeg

I think we need OD of 2 7/8 to fit I the bottom of the pizza one and 4" or less to fit over the flange.
And for those asking about cutting the flange, my metal working/cutting/welding skill are very basic and some not even there (welding), so trying to find a solution that will work OOB.

Only issue with the diffuser is it doesn’t breathe enough. I’m planning to take some of the strips out and leave just enough to keep the top on.

You won’t regret

Do you have an updated picture of how you ended up doing your diffuser? What type and thickness of metal did you use? I just noticed the other day that the bottom of my pizza oven was so hot that it was glowing red and it was actually bulging and making contact with the bottom of the pizza stone. I had my grill at 425 degrees, so I don't think it was exceptionally hot. I will try with a lower grill temp, but it seems like a diffuser so that the flames are not directly contacting the bottom of the oven is warranted.

Do you have an updated picture of how you ended up doing your diffuser? What type and thickness of metal did you use? I just noticed the other day that the bottom of my pizza oven was so hot that it was glowing red and it was actually bulging and making contact with the bottom of the pizza stone. I had my grill at 425 degrees, so I don't think it was exceptionally hot. I will try with a lower grill temp, but it seems like a diffuser so that the flames are not directly contacting the bottom of the oven is warranted.
Remember that the 425 reading to way outside of the pizza oven where the temp probe is. The plate under the stone was probably closer to 900. Do you have a IR thermometer to check the stone temp? I found 375-400 is plenty.

I didn't modify it yet. The metal was stainless. I made it out of a sheet which I believe was probably 1/16th thick. I didn't measure it but it was not very thick and easy to bend to form.

I would try lowering it as @pungo mentioned also and check temps with a IR thermometer.

I will modify before I use it next time and see how it does. Last time I was in a hurry for a last minute decision and used without.

I'm still surprised they don't have something internally for this. I contemplated opening it up and doing that but that is a project. I do have a welder so could if I wanted to or just leave it un welded.

I found the GMG pizza oven for $80 on eBay and used it for the first time last weekend. It fits perfect, gets super hot and cooks pizzas in a matter of minutes. Highly recommended if you’re into that!

part number: GMG-4023

View attachment 10896View attachment 10897
I just posted a question on another thread. I found one on Amazon and I liked the idea. IS it as good as they say?

$80?! Damn, you scored. I've been looking for a good deal on one of these since back when I actually had a Green Mountain grill's Daniel Boone that it's made for. It was one of the cons towards making the move to an RT 590 when I thought that I couldn't use one of these for it. Shortly thereafter I read a post where somebody said that it still works and I was pretty excited. Just haven't found a good deal on one yet.
Found on Amazon
1657728024402.png

I have not as I have been out of town for the last week, I will pick up this weekend to see what I can do. I ended up sending all of the different reducers I got back and am starting over with more of the food grade stainless y'all have mentioned.

Started a thread over in the 1070 forum. Excited to see if someone solves this before I send back the GMG oven.

I have not as I have been out of town for the last week, I will pick up this weekend to see what I can do. I ended up sending all of the different reducers I got back and am starting over with more of the food grade stainless y'all have mentioned.
Simply cut the stock pipe at the red line. Use the appropriate size "Butt-Joint Exhaust Band Clamp" to attach them back together with with the proper gap between them to reach the firepot. These are generally T304 stainless steel without toxic fumes and ~$10.

Inkedgmg.jpg

sum-683250_xl.jpg

Funny you should suggest that part. It was one of the first I tried actually and it doesn't fit all the way around the pipe, so I scrapped it and sent it back. Thought it was kind of odd as there was a huge gap. Maybe they sent the wrong size but it definitely didn't work for me.

Funny you should suggest that part. It was one of the first I tried actually and it doesn't fit all the way around the pipe, so I scrapped it and sent it back. Thought it was kind of odd as there was a huge gap. Maybe they sent the wrong size but it definitely didn't work for me.
What size did you order and what size did they send you?

I just posted a question on another thread. I found one on Amazon and I liked the idea. IS it as good as they say?
Works great- we just used it again on Saturday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back