Garbage Day - A Sad Tale

Reluctantly, I would have made the same decision. It is not worth the health risks.

That said, I lived in Japan for a while and remember the beef carcasses being hung in open-air markets at normal daytime temperatures. The seller would just cut off a thin outer layer and then portion out whatever amount the customer wanted. I didn’t buy any meat there, so don’t know how effective that procedure was.

One thing that probably helped the Japanese consumer was that they don’t typically eat meat like we do. Small amounts of meat are used as a flavoring agent and it is usually cooked very well done.

That said, I lived in Japan for a while and remember the beef carcasses being hung in open-air markets at normal daytime temperatures. The seller would just cut off a thin outer layer and then portion out whatever amount the customer wanted. I didn’t buy any meat there, so don’t know how effective that procedure was.
I think that procedure is not so different from aging a steak. Solid muscle is going to rot from the outside in. Cut away the bad stuff and party on. Since it's unintentional aging in who knows what conditions, I would have tossed it too.

Since it's unintentional aging in who knows what conditions, I would have tossed it too.
Old post, but I was able to track that the package was loaded on a FedEx local delivery truck at 6am the day of the scheduled delivery. It stayed on that truck until a late delivery around 2pm the next day. It was around 105 both days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigfishri
Back