Garbage Day - A Sad Tale

Pacman

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Well, I ordered another Wagyu brisket last week from SRF. It was supposed to arrive last Saturday, but did not show up until midday on Sunday completely defrosted and a surface temp of roughly 60 degrees. It apparently sat in a FedEx truck since 6am Saturday until it was delivered. 100 - 105 both days. Obviously SRF credited me for the damaged product (but is currently sold out on all briskets smaller than 20+ pounds). I intentionally kept what still looks like a beautiful brisket in my garage fridge at I figured I'd be a good neighbor and not have rotting meat in my garbage can all week (even though it is still cryovaccced).

Anyway, tomorrow is garbage day so I have to walk out what still looks like a beautiful hunk of meat to the curb....and I'm not cooking a brisket this weekend.

Well, I ordered another Wagyu brisket last week from SRF. It was supposed to arrive last Saturday, but did not show up until midday on Sunday completely defrosted and a surface temp of roughly 60 degrees. It apparently sat in a FedEx truck since 6am Saturday until it was delivered. 100 - 105 both days. Obviously SRF credited me for the damaged product (but is currently sold out on all briskets smaller than 20+ pounds). I intentionally kept what still looks like a beautiful brisket in my garage fridge at I figured I'd be a good neighbor and not have rotting meat in my garbage can all week (even though it is still cryovaccced).

Anyway, tomorrow is garbage day so I have to walk out what still looks like a beautiful hunk of meat to the curb....and I'm not cooking a brisket this weekend.
I had a similar thing happen with a Wild Fork delivery before. Now I only place an order for Wednesday delivery so if it’s delayed a day, it still has a chance of being OK. I also try to avoid ordering from Wild Fork this time of year because even if it arrives on time, the ice packs may have already melted in the heat of a semi-trailer. Glad to hear SFR took care of it for you.

I do hope you have held a suitable wake for this departed brisket. Very sad!

Just finished playing Taps

IMG_0951.jpeg

My grief was somewhat mitigated as a buddy who just moved out of state called and said, "If you're free in like 25 minutes, I have 200 pounds of pellets that I don't feel like driving back to the new house and I could use the space in my truck. I met him in a gas station parking lot and helped him solve his problems.

I didn't smell it, but I did see that the surface temp was pushing 70 degrees and the fat cap was yellowed like rotten meat. Oh and I was actually still going to smoke it, but the wife said she wouldn't touch it if I did. I think the phrase was, "You're not going to poison me!"

I didn't smell it, but I did see that the surface temp was pushing 70 degrees and the fat cap was yellowed like rotten meat. Oh and I was actually still going to smoke it, but the wife said she wouldn't touch it if I did. I think the phrase was, "You're not going to poison me!"
Tell her that you are going to cremate it, low and slow.

Yup, I’ve had borderline situations like this before where if it was just me, I’d probably go for it. But when it also involves the other family members, I’m on the side of caution. I want someone on my side when I can’t take care of myself that isn’t still pissed that I fed them food poisoning! 😂

It's good you didn't. Bacteria release toxins that are "heat stable" meaning not destroyed by the cooking process.

It's good you didn't. Bacteria release toxins that are "heat stable" meaning not destroyed by the cooking process.
The endotoxin just adds that extra special flavor 🤣.
All joking aside, you made the right decision, @Pacman . Even I wouldn’t have eaten that, and bacteria and I are like this 🤞.

It was vacuum packed; maybe he could have been a pioneer in HOT Aging of Beef. Sure anyone can do it with a fridge, but it takes a real mad-man to Hot age in a delivery truck in July.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back