Flat top 380BX

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe
Ordered the flat top insert for my B380X. Do I need to season it before use? If so how?

Absolutely you need to season it.

Use a high burn point oil like avacado oil(though expensive) or cheaper version of grape see oil. Or you can buy a seasoning paste.

Don't listen to RecTeq's instructions.

Clean with soap and water first and dry. Then turn your bullseye to 500 and start applying a thin coat of oil. Repeat process of applying oil every 15 to 30 minutes. You want your flat top to be like a shiny black so I would say 2 to 4 hours of coats and should be good. The key is running at 500.

I personally(before starting the grill) oil'd even the bottom side but that isn't completely necessary but I did and do from time to time.

Tons of videos online how to do this.

Thanks! It’s not cast iron. It looks like carbon steel or a low grade stainless. Still season it? Should have said that originally.

Thanks! It’s not cast iron. It looks like carbon steel or a low grade stainless. Still season it? Should have said that originally.
Yes, I have it also on my regular Bullseye. It's carbon steel and would rust if not seasoned properly. So yeah, just season it until it turns shiny black.

I did mine originally with a bees wax paste I found online and other recommended and it worked really good. The one I used was called BuzzyWaxx and it's sold on amazon.

Yes, I have it also on my regular Bullseye. It's carbon steel and would rust if not seasoned properly. So yeah, just season it until it turns shiny black.

I did mine originally with a bees wax paste I found online and other recommended and it worked really good. The one I used was called BuzzyWaxx and it's sold on amazon.
Ok I understand the seasoning, not how do I maintain it?

Ok I understand the seasoning, not how do I maintain it?
Get a scrapper - I have a blackstone one I got in a kit. I usually scrap off what I can and re-oil before turning off the grill. If you need a deeper cleaning, you can turn on 500 and use a bottle to squirt some water on there and scrap and clean up with a paper towel to get anything else off and then re-oil.

You can just watch some blackstone videos on youtube. The only thing with the bullseye griddle is there is no place to push the excess into so you have to whipe up with a paper towels or a towel.

I recommend the Blackstone cast iron seasoning. It is not like a cooking oil and doesn’t attract insects. As an alternate, I use Grapeseed oil on some of my CI because it has one of the highest flash points for an edible oil.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back