Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Griddle Grill

Still kicking myself for not grabbing one at the end of last year when they were on clearance for like $199 I believe. My Blackstone was not that old at the time and was a gift but already rusting. Had a hard time justifying it but it is what it is. Good luck with your decision. I think unless they are kept indoors all will experience the environment at some point.
That's my biggest concern. We live in a townhome now and outside consists of an uncovered patio. The RecTeq grill cover and Napoleon cover are doing great.

I know I'll use the flap top more often, but even at that, on rainy days, which we've had a lot of this year, I'm concerned about the moisture getting in. I'll need to do a good job keeping it oiled & protected.

It seems the difference with people's results with Blackstone really depend if it's kept indoors vs. outdoors. The biggest complaint I see doesn't have to do with the cooktop, it appears it's the construction and quality of components used to construct the frame.

That's my biggest concern. We live in a townhome now and outside consists of an uncovered patio. The RecTeq grill cover and Napoleon cover are doing great.

I know I'll use the flap top more often, but even at that, on rainy days, which we've had a lot of this year, I'm concerned about the moisture getting in. I'll need to do a good job keeping it oiled & protected.

It seems the difference with people's results with Blackstone really depend if it's kept indoors vs. outdoors. The biggest complaint I see doesn't have to do with the cooktop, it appears it's the construction and quality of components used to construct the frame.

I think the frame on my Blackstone is fine from a construction and quality standpoint.

I do leave this one outside and never have any rusting on the griddle itself. I leave plenty of crap on it to prevent that lol.

I keep the bull indoors and my Masterbuilt 800 which I know would not make it out there. I do live on a saltwater lagoon so things accelerate in the rust department and my experience might not be the same as someone that doesn’t. Might be strange but I notice less rust with keeping things uncovered than covered. I think it is the moisture sticks around longer from the dew that forms under the cover.

Both the Blackstone and the RT stay in my shop out behind the house and are used right where they sit.
Never have to be moved. No rust or paint flaking on either

Here’s one thing to keep in mind when discussing Blackstone griddle ‘quality’. I had a SS model for years, stored outside but under a cover, and there was no rust issues at all. Not even on the griddle as I suspect @sdynak and I follow the same method of maintaining the griddle! But the entire frame would colapse, designed so that it could fold up and take tailgating or camping. Not a good idea-made it so unstable that it rocked more than the tunes I had on.Then there were the issues with wind blowing out the burners… I bought a $100 set of folding shelves from BS for this griddle, mostly to block wind, used them twice, and threw them away. So my BS ‘quality’ experience was up/down, but in the end I was not a happy camper.

Then I can’t help but see some of the BS griddles out there today. I follow Hungry Hussey on YouTube and the BS he is using now looks to be commercial quality! That, I would buy but I also completely understand if someone were to say ‘Blackstone-never again.”

I was all set to go with Blackstone, but my neighbor is constantly complaining about the rust on his, so I spent the money and went with a Blaze. It has a heavy stainless cooktop and cleans up really nice. Expensive, but I love it!
https://www.amazon.com/Blaze-30-Inch-Griddle-BLZ-GRIDDLE-LTE-NG-Natural/dp/B079YZM57X

1677596586111.png

I have had a Blackstone 36" for a few years and no rust. If the frame rusts a wire brush/sandpaper and a spritz of Rustoleum and all is god... I have a very durable seasoning technique and dont have any issues. It lives outside under a pergola roof covered with a steel cover and a cloakman canvas cover. :) Good luck, friend.
Still kicking myself for not grabbing one at the end of last year when they were on clearance for like $199 I believe. My Blackstone was not that old at the time and was a gift but already rusting. Had a hard time justifying it but it is what it is. Good luck with your decision. I think unless they are kept indoors all will experience the environment at some point.
You can clean it up and paint the frame... it is worth it. :)

I've been in the market for about 6 months for a Flat Top griddle. Blackstone has some nice ones, but then you see images where the frame rusts or is not super sturdy. I looked at Pitt Boss, and Razor and both seem to have plus's and minuses. The Pitt Boss seems like a winner until you see several reviews of the cooking surface warping and poor customer service. (This is all from reviews, so might not be true...).

A few days ago an image of a flat top grill passed by on my computer. It looked nice, so I had to track down what it was. Traeger & Weber have now entered the flat top market. After looking at both, the Traeger was the winner in my opinion. Before I pulled the trigger, I had two last things to do.

1. Contact RecTeq customer service to see if they have one in the works. (Task complete, the rep wasn't aware of RecTeq designing one.)
2. Post on this forum to hopefully get some attention to RecTeq.

I'm a loyal customer and even if I had to pay more, I would rather sport another ReqTec in my grilling area than to have a Traeger sitting next to it. Please RecTeq, make us a griddle!

Side note, I have an RT-340 and have put a skillet plate on it. The space is just too tight to use a cast iron griddle. I even tried putting a cast iron griddle on my Napoleon grill, but the frame of the grill just kinda gets in the way.

View attachment 18662
I am a proud owner of a ReqTec RT-700. But I do own a Grilla Grills Ptimate…it’s my gas grill / flat top. All I have to do is swap out the grates and pop in the flat top. I typically do this seasonally. But it’s a great flat top.

I am a proud owner of a ReqTec RT-700. But I do own a Grilla Grills Ptimate…it’s my gas grill / flat top. All I have to do is swap out the grates and pop in the flat top. I typically do this seasonally. But it’s a great flat top.
Primate

I was in Samsclub the other day and noticed they have a Blackstone look alike under their brand name! Construction was not up to RecTeq standards, but still looked nice!

Paid 149.00 for my 28" BS 3 years ago. I take it with me on every trip up north since it folds up nicely. It's garage kept like my 340 and 700, no rust yet.

I did more research and hit Sam's from the reference in this thread and from a good friend. Sam's has two flap top griddles. I opted for their pro version. I assembled and seasoned it yesterday. Overall, it definitely met and/or exceeded my expectations. It gets really hot and is mostly stainless. Sam's price for this model is $399. I had some Sam's plus cash, Capital One rewards, and ended up paying around $100 out of pocket. So far, I think I'm really going to be happy with this purchase. It came with a stainless lid, grill cover, foldable side shelves with magnetic fronts, and a mostly enclosed interior.

(If I hadn't recently purchased a Napoleon Prestique, I would have been very happy with just the Grilla Grills Primate. https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/gril...-series/prestige-pro-500-rsib-pro500rsibpss-3 )

https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-...er-gas-griddle/prod26361712?xid=plp_product_1

IMG_1091.jpeg

IMG_1092.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

I did more research and hit Sam's from the reference in this thread and from a good friend. Sam's has two flap top griddles. I opted for their pro version. I assembled and seasoned it yesterday. Overall, it definitely met and/or exceeded my expectations. It gets really hot and is mostly stainless. Sam's price for this model is $399. I had some Sam's plus cash, Capital One rewards, and ended up paying around $100 out of pocket. So far, I think I'm really going to be happy with this purchase. It came with a stainless lid, grill cover, foldable side shelves with magnetic fronts, and a mostly enclosed interior.

(If I hadn't recently purchased a Napoleon Prestique, I would have been very happy with just the Grilla Grills Primate. https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/gril...-series/prestige-pro-500-rsib-pro500rsibpss-3 )

https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-...er-gas-griddle/prod26361712?xid=plp_product_1

View attachment 18742

View attachment 18743

View attachment 18744

View attachment 18745

View attachment 18746

Awesome.. was just at Sams yesterday again admiring this unit. So much nicer than my BS in every area.

I see many like the back grease drain on the BS but for me it is a pain to access. I would prefer the front drain with the drawer style this has.

The hood is a million times better from the stainless to the hinges. When I lift the hood on my BS if twists due to the flimsy design & structure. That doesn't give me a big smile.

My BS warped the griddle at one time and literally popped up 1+ inches on the right side. It did come back after it cooled and I have not seen it again but that is always in my mind. I guess this could happen with any of these with enough heat.

Anyway.. if I were in the market I would have to opt for the Sams Pro here. I know it is not 100% stainless but the price and what you get are justifiable.

Enjoy and do keep us posted time to time how it holds up. I might still grab one if I see them go on clearance again at the end of the year.

I was dead tired by the time I finished assembling and seasoning it last night. Before church, I did my first cook, I made bacon & cheese omelets. They turned out great. After church, I made some burgers with some sautéed onions & mushrooms, again, tasty.

Everything is clean, and if I can find some energy, I might make some Hibachi chicken. So far I'm really liking it, but this is coming from a "newish" flat top cooker. I didn't think I'd like the grease trap at the front of the grill, but after using it, I really like it. So far no negatives. The only thing I might change is the placement of the magnets on the front of the folding shelves. I might like them more if they were on the back. (easy switch if I decide to.)

Next purchase...I need a larger RecTeq. 😊

When would you like to come do it? My schedule is flexible.. heck.. I'll even buy the rattle cans for you.

My point is .. when you spend this kind of $$, they should not look like $hit in a few months.
LOL. You couldn't afford me.
MY point is, quit your bellyaching and if you feel strongly about it, crying on a bulletin board will not help... a can of paint might. I might come over and show you how to use it... my calendar is quite open too. Fix the issues, take pictures and tell us how you fixed the issues... now dry your eyes and have a good day. :) :)

Last edited:
LOL. You couldn't afford me.
MY point is, quit your bellyaching and if you feel strongly about it, crying on a bulletin board will not help... a can of paint might. I might come over and show you how to use it... my calendar is quite open too. Fix the issues, take pictures and tell us how you fixed the issues... now dry your eyes and have a good day. :) :)

Dude asked questions and I gave my own experience. Did not come on here to cry but your fanboy actions to jump in are quite evident. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I do hope you can overcome it. Life is short enjoy.

Dude asked questions and I gave my own experience. Did not come on here to cry but your fanboy actions to jump in are quite evident. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I do hope you can overcome it. Life is short enjoy.
Ha! No worries.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back